PDA

View Full Version : LP Gas Alarm

Raptor361LEV
05-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Ok, so I came home last night to hear my LP Gas alarm going off. I went out there reset it and it turned green again. About a 1/2hr later it started again and everytime I hit reset it would start again in a few minutes. I didn't smell any gas and I shut off my tanks just in case. I've read some posts on here about the batteries (low battery may cause it to go off), but I have my trailer hooked up the AC power.
Any suggestions? I would easily go buy a new one if I knew that would fix it, but for $70+ that is an expensive test.

Also, I looked at the alarm unit and it says |replace: 2010|. It is a 2010 Raptor, why would it need to me replaced in 2010? How often do they need to be changed?

BigCajun
05-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Make sure your coach batteries are in good shape. Even though you are hooked up to shore power, you still need good 12v power for lots of things in your rig. I sent mine back to the manufacturer and they replaced it for free.

bartletts
05-09-2012, 08:13 AM
If it says to replace in 2010 then they put a stale unit in at the factory and it is chirping because the propane detector wears out over time. It is past its lifetime. The detector is a consumable item.

Ruffus
05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
These things don't last forever even though they should. The engineers are still working on a perminate fix. I hate mine cuz it goes off from human gas and scares the heck out of me when that happens.:rofl:

Festus2
05-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Jim -
No kidding? I didn't think they were THAT sensitive! Might be time to pull the plug on it ---- the detector, that is. My sympathies to Sharon and Riley.

Johnnyfry
05-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Well, the first time I left gas on for a few minutes the OEM detector went off, it never recovered and I replaced it.

Are these things a one time deal? One time of leaving the gas jet on and buy a new one--- not a very satisfactory deal to say the least.

I am hoping that the new one lasts through more than one alarm.

John

Raptor361LEV
05-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Make sure your coach batteries are in good shape. Even though you are hooked up to shore power, you still need good 12v power for lots of things in your rig. I sent mine back to the manufacturer and they replaced it for free.

I was having battery issues prior to, but I when the alarm went off I disconnected the shore power and went to battery. Battery seemed good (lights working) and the alarm still went off and so I hit the battery disconnect to shut the whole thing down until I figure this out.
Funny thing is that I've had it hooked up for a week and nothing went off until last night.

I guess I will change the batteries first since I was planning this anyway, and then the LP gas alarm after if needed. Its just $$$ right! :(

Ruffus
05-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Yes Festus they are that sensitive and mine is located on the center console between my two recliners. Hey Raptor you might try using a can of compressed air used for cleaning computer keyboards and gently spraying it into the detector. I had to do that one time. Here I am giving advice and my gas alarm is currently not working since I had the convertor replaced, I need a new fuse.:rofl: