PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter hot water switch

mksprinter
05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
New guy here with a 2012 Sprinter 311 BHS.

Just a quick question on my hot water tank. Inside the RV on the main switch panel there is only one hot water tank switch. It does not indicate if this is for electric or gas. On the tank behind the access panel is an on off switch which I believe is for the electrical element. So how do I determine whether it is on gas or electric?

On my previous TT it had the switch on the tank along with separate gas and electric switches inside the trailer.

Thanks,

Mark

Halibutman214
05-07-2012, 06:39 PM
For starters you should hear it when it fires up on gas and electric you probably won't.

mksprinter
05-07-2012, 07:07 PM
True but how do I choose which one? Does it default to electric unless there is no 110 or the tank switch is off? Is there no option to run both for fast recovery?

Festus2
05-07-2012, 09:36 PM
If you want to use 110v only, don't activate the switch on the wall but make sure that the small, black rocker switch located at the bottom corner of the outside access compartment is in the ON position. If you want to use propane, press the inside wall switch to ON. A red light will come on momentarily and then go out when ignition has taken place at the tank. You should be able to hear it when the propane "fires up"
If you want to use both for faster heating, follow both of the above steps.
This is how our HW tank is set up - yours may be different.

mksprinter
05-08-2012, 06:02 AM
I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Clanton24v
05-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Make sure that the tank is full before turning on either heating source.

mksprinter
05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Problem solved...

I left the interior switch off and turned the tank switch on and got hot water. So the interior switch must be for gas heat.

Thanks for the help,

Mark

rhagfo
05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Problem solved...

I left the interior switch off and turned the tank switch on and got hot water. So the interior switch must be for gas heat.

Thanks for the help,

Mark

You should also have a breaker in your power panel. Make sure you turn this off during storage. If it is on and the tank is dry when you connect power the element will likely overheat.