PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Premier 1prBH: Bent Axel?

bedblue
05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I am looking at the Bullet Premier 31 bhpr and it looks like a great ultra lite trailer. However, I found an interesting thread that;s making me second guess buying this trailer.

Anyone have any trouble with this?

KEYSTONE BULLET Power Train Axle Assembly

KEYSTONE BULLET 2011 Safety Review #10400550

KEYSTONE BULLET 2011 car safety problem was reported on June 30, 2010.KEYSTONE BULLET 2011, manufactured by KEYSTONE RV COMPANY had a problem with POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY . TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2011 KEYSTONE BULLET RV. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE AXLE WAS DEFECTIVE AND THE WEIGHT BEARING WAS DISTRIBUTED INCORRECTLY ON THE AXLE. THE AXLE WAS BENT AND THE WHEEL WAS ABNORMALLY TURNED AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER WHO CHANGED THE AXLE WHICH EXHIBITED THE SAME BEHAVIOR. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN BACK TO THE DEALER WHO REPLACED THE AXLE A SECOND TIME. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE CONTACT WAS CONCERNED WITH THE SAFETY OF THE VEHICLE. UPDATED 06/0611 *BF UPDATED 06/10/11 UPDATED 06/15/11 *BF UPDATED 06/24/11 .Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):4YDT31B25BD. KEYSTONE BULLET 2011 problem was reported in GENESEO, IL. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control.

The Sod Father
05-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Where did you get this information? Just wondering.

I have the 31BHPR and have towed it over 3,000 miles so far. No problems other than the usual warranty crap and a leaky window. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the same trailer but from a different dealer.

What are you towing with? This is a really long trailer and will require an equally long wheelbase on your tow vehicle plus considerable sway control/elimination.

I hope this helps.

jcgib81
05-14-2012, 05:38 AM
I have a 2012 Premeir 31BHPR. I had it for last years season and everywhere I went people would tell me the rear axle looked "weird" from behind. Probably about 7 people. I noticed tire wear on the passsenger rear side. Front axle ok. I took it in to a GREAT service place here on Long Island and after 2 months of them fighting for me, Keystone sent a complete new rear axle, and 2 new tires. I have to give them credit. The axle was out of camber, a little more than 1/2 inch on one side.
I hope all is well with this new axle, but it looked ALOT different towing it home from the service place as I had the wife follow me.
By the way, I LOVE this trailer. Awesome amount of room, and tows great. I have a 2007 Suburban 1500 heavy tow package, air bags and equalizer hitch.2800 miles first season.

AlCorr
05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
I just picked up a 2012 Bullet 248RKS this year (March) and pulled it from Massachusetts to KeyWest, FL. and back with no problems, (3400 miles). I do not understand what the problem was with your unit, please explain. A lot of people drive behind you and your trailer looked strange going down the road. Then the Dealer said one axle was out of line 1/2 inch. I'm not saying your wrong, but how did these people see 1/2 inch? Dealer replaced it, that is a good thing, but I just don't understand. Was the recall for bent axels or axels out of alignment?

I pull my trailer with a Cummins diesel and I wouldn't know if the axel fell off. I'll have to let the wife drive it and I'll drive behind in her car.

P.S. :) I’m not saying your wrong or trying to start anything,:) just don’t understand.:)

gregrc75
05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
I just picked up a 2012 Bullet 248RKS this year (March) and pulled it from Massachusetts to KeyWest, FL. and back with no problems, (3400 miles). I do not understand what the problem was with your unit, please explain. A lot of people drive behind you and your trailer looked strange going down the road. Then the Dealer said one axle was out of line 1/2 inch. I'm not saying your wrong, but how did these people see 1/2 inch? Dealer replaced it, that is a good thing, but I just don't understand. Was the recall for bent axels or axels out of alignment?

I pull my trailer with a Cummins diesel and I wouldn't know if the axel fell off. I'll have to let the wife drive it and I'll drive behind in her car.

P.S. :) I’m not saying your wrong or trying to start anything,:) just don’t understand.:)

From New Beige to Key West, that was a long trip!

AlCorr
06-01-2012, 01:40 AM
From New Beige to Key West, that was a long trip!

Did you tow your Bullet on that trip? About, how many miles?

gregrc75
06-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Did you tow your Bullet on that trip? About, how many miles?

No, just commenting. Furthest I have been with it was northern VT. Sounds like a great trip though.

AlCorr
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, it's always a excellent trip, been doing it for 16-17 years now. Stay in the key's for 3 weeks.

Sorry, didn't mean to steel your tread on bent axles.

Festus2
06-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Yes - a good idea to try to keep the thread focused on the OP's topic - bent axles.

(ty)

jcgib81
06-21-2012, 04:35 AM
To reply to the topic. When I would stop at a dump station, or to check in or out some senior, or seasoned campers I would call them would say that the rear axle looked weird. If an axle is 1/2 inch out of camber at the axle plate, that becomes noticeable when there is a 14 inch tire on it. I think what people were seeing also was the way the spread axles move when turning. Looks a little weird.
What I noticed was the tire wear that was pretty bad. When I took it to a local rv dealer/mechanic he noticed the rear axle right away by standing behind the unit.
Like I said, Keystone did the right thing and I am very happy so far. Leaving This Sunday for Pennsylvania, first trip with new axle. We will see I guess. I believe the replacement was for a bent axle.

The Sod Father
08-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Well, it looks like I may have jinxed the whole thing and could possibly have the same issue. On our last trip, I had a guy pull next to me (towing a boat) and was beeping his horn. I roll down the window and he said, "hey buddy - your rear tire looks like it's bent inward". I pull over and sure enough, it looks slightly out of wack.

I looked again at a fuel stop and sure enough, both tires on the rear axle seemed to be slightly out of camber. I dropped it off at my dealer and am waiting for a diagnosis. Stay tuned!

Englishman
08-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Just had the same thing with our bullet. We stop at the father inlaws house on the way pack from pa and he notice that the wheels look out of line. Took it into the dealer to have some other work done and had them check the axles and the rear axle was bent. Keystone is now replacing both of them. We should have the tt back next week I hope.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Adam
08-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Well, it looks like I may have jinxed the whole thing and could possibly have the same issue. On our last trip, I had a guy pull next to me (towing a boat) and was beeping his horn. I roll down the window and he said, "hey buddy - your rear tire looks like it's bent inward". I pull over and sure enough, it looks slightly out of wack.

I looked again at a fuel stop and sure enough, both tires on the rear axle seemed to be slightly out of camber. I dropped it off at my dealer and am waiting for a diagnosis. Stay tuned!

Soddy, I think you need to update your signature....."Tracking slightly Off" :thumbsup:

The Sod Father
08-04-2012, 03:56 PM
It still tracks straight - thank God. It just looks pigeon toed.

Retiredsorta
08-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Well now you have me thinking. I have a 2011 Bullet 278RLS. I have noticed when I make turns I see the wheels looking out of "whack". It seems one looks pigeon towed and the other is straight. I didn't think much of it until I read this. I have towed the TT over 10K miles and have no unusual tire wear. I made a trip last Sept from Houston to Yellowstone, into Montana, across Wyoming to the Black Hills in SD. Total 5K miles. I checked the tires regularly with no problems. I just went outside and checked them again. No issues. I will pay more attention and see if anything changes. Thanks for the info.

JRTJH
08-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Well now you have me thinking. I have a 2011 Bullet 278RLS. I have noticed when I make turns I see the wheels looking out of "whack". It seems one looks pigeon towed and the other is straight. I didn't think much of it until I read this. I have towed the TT over 10K miles and have no unusual tire wear. I made a trip last Sept from Houston to Yellowstone, into Montana, across Wyoming to the Black Hills in SD. Total 5K miles. I checked the tires regularly with no problems. I just went outside and checked them again. No issues. I will pay more attention and see if anything changes. Thanks for the info.

When you pull a heavy trailer through a turn, the rear axle wheels will not always remain perfectly vertical. There is some 'warping" that will occur as the rear axle gets dragged through the turn. The inside wheel will "warp" outward at the top and the outside wheel will "warp" inward at the top. This is normal and will correct itself when you're straight and move forward a couple of feet. If this is the "out of whack" you're referring to, it's normal on tandem axle trailers. Next time you're in a campground with hard surface roads/camping pads, watch your neighbor's axles as he backs into the campsite. You'll be amazed at just how much "bending and flexing" goes on with the axle during low speed tight turns. The tires slide on dirt or gravel, so you won't notice this hardly at all on soft surfaces.

AlCorr
08-06-2012, 03:13 AM
When you pull a heavy trailer through a turn, the rear axle wheels will not always remain perfectly vertical. There is some 'warping" that will occur as the rear axle gets dragged through the turn. The inside wheel will "warp" outward at the top and the outside wheel will "warp" inward at the top. This is normal and will correct itself when you're straight and move forward a couple of feet. If this is the "out of whack" you're referring to, it's normal on tandem axle trailers. Next time you're in a campground with hard surface roads/camping pads, watch your neighbor's axles as he backs into the campsite. You'll be amazed at just how much "bending and flexing" goes on with the axle during low speed tight turns. The tires slide on dirt or gravel, so you won't notice this hardly at all on soft surfaces.

This is true and I've pulled other trailers & 5er's with tandem axles that are not made by Keystone without this extra wide space between the axles and they didn't get as much in and out warp on the wheelers as my Bullet does. Also, I was once told, (not sure if true) that after parking a trailer with tandem axles and making a turn ether pulling in or backing in, to pull forward and back a few times to straighten the axles or they would be damage.

JRTJH
08-06-2012, 05:58 AM
The farther apart the axles are the greater the twisting motion you'll encounter. When the "wide spaced" axles first started appearing on trailers with the claim of "improved stability when towing" I wondered what the price was for that stability. I think the increased side torque on the rear axle is part of that price. It can't be good for the sidewalls on the tires and who's to say what it does to the wheels/bearings ????

While I've no data to support what you say about pulling forward in a straight line then backing into the spot again, it would seem reasonable that removing any side torque from the axles prior to parking wouldn't hurt and may well take some of the stress off the axle and wheel assembly. So, it's probably not a bad idea to pull forward and back before parking after a tight turn.

SAABDOCTOR
08-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Just to add my buck and a quater! if the axels were realy bent then you would notice some funky wear on the tread ans if you had tire pressure monitors with temprature you would also see a rise in tire temp! so as the last three have posted you most likely are ok."bouncey:

JRTJH
08-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Just to add my buck and a quater! if the axels were realy bent then you would notice some funky wear on the tread ans if you had tire pressure monitors with temprature you would also see a rise in tire temp! so as the last three have posted you most likely are ok."bouncey:

Totally agree !!!! SAABDOCTOR, that's another reason to have (and use) a laser digital thermometer. I got mine at Harbor Freight for $19. It may not be the most accurate around, but we're not talking "rocket science" with trailer tire temperatures either.... If an axle is bent, uneven wear and higher temps would probalby be the first indicator if you can't actually "see" the out of position wheel.

The Sod Father
08-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Just got the call from my dealer and the verdict is as was expected - the rear beam has flattened. $485 to replace. Now I need to state my case to Keystone and see what they say. Stay tuned.

The Sod Father
08-16-2012, 07:57 AM
I just got my response from Keystone. They are saying that the trailer is out of warranty and therefore not covered. I gotta say, given the history of this problem and the relatively young age of the trailer (2011 for Pete's sake!), I am very disappointed in their response. I even referenced this specific thread in my initial complaint and follow up response.

I really hope they re-consider. If not, then my next steps are to file a vehicle safety complaint with NHTSA and with the Trailer Life RV Action line. I really don't have the time or energy for that, but with a kid going to college, $500 is a pretty big expense right now.

KJcachers
08-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Go directly to the axle manufacturer... Somebody is in the wrong on this.

The Sod Father
08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Go directly to the axle manufacturer... Somebody is in the wrong on this.
You bet. Just sent them a note. I really don't have time for this but I'm also very disappointed that Keystone isn't stepping up on a trailer that is just 6 months out of warranty and only has 2K miles on it.

JRTJH
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
You bet. Just sent them a note. I really don't have time for this but I'm also very disappointed that Keystone isn't stepping up on a trailer that is just 6 months out of warranty and only has 2K miles on it.

Dexter Axle Company has a 2 year warranty on their leaf spring axles. Your RV is a 2011, so the axles should still be in warranty... The issue, I think, will become whether Keystone installed them correctly and whether you maintained them correctly. As for the "flat beam" there shouldn't be any maintenance issues, so now, it's down to whether Dexter points fingers at Keystone and how they respond. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!

The Sod Father
08-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Dexter - not just a great TV show, but also a darn good company to work with! They are going to replace BOTH axles. Woot!!

I gotta say, this whole experience has been an eye opener. I am very disappointed in Keystone. Not just in their initial response but their LACK of response with my follow up questions. Also - they need to tell their service folks that axle is NOT spelled axel. :banghead:

JRTJH
08-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Good news to hear. I'm sure you're smiling.... See, there is "some good" left in business :)

Javi
08-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Good news.."bouncey:

KJcachers
08-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Glad they supported their product. This is the second Keystone I've heard about needing replacement axles recently. Hope I don't go through this too.

Afa430
12-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Bought 2011 31BHPR in June 2010 as they rolled off the line. Bad Tire wear noticed at month 15. Keystone did not cover rear axle replacement, but extended warranty purchased when RV was bought did.

Now at month 29 owning it and second axle is showing wear on rear tires. Time to re-engage for another axle. This will be number 3:(.

The Sod Father
12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Bought 2011 31BHPR in June 2010 as they rolled off the line. Bad Tire wear noticed at month 15. Keystone did not cover rear axle replacement, but extended warranty purchased when RV was bought did.

Now at month 29 owning it and second axle is showing wear on rear tires. Time to re-engage for another axle. This will be number 3:(.

Have you tried reaching out to Dexter directly? That's what I did and they paid for two new axles plus two new tires.

PerryB
12-09-2012, 10:10 AM
If the axles are flattening its because they're not heavy enough to handle the load. In this case an upgrade would be the best solution (going from 5200# to 6000# axles for example) but then you run into the possibility of needing new wheels. The example I gave WOULD take new wheels as the 5200 uses 6 lugs and the 6000 uses 8. Its very upsetting that the industry uses the bare minimum that they can get away with in so many cases.

AlCorr
12-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Any updates on the axle problems?
Is it because they were installed wrong?
Is it because of the large space between the axles?
Is it because the trailer was over loaded?

The Sod Father
12-25-2012, 08:06 AM
The axles were replaced by Dexter. The original axles had a 2.5" beam and the replacement axles have a 3" beam. Not sure who specified the lighter original beam but my guess is Dexter since they agreed to replace both axles AND the tires.

AlCorr
12-25-2012, 09:26 AM
The axles were replaced by Dexter. The original axles had a 2.5" beam and the replacement axles have a 3" beam. Not sure who specified the lighter original beam but my guess is Dexter since they agreed to replace both axles AND the tires.

Do you know if the 2.5" beam is a 5200k axle and the 3" beam is a 6000k axle?

Afa430
01-29-2013, 11:10 AM
All,

Call dexter. They have changed as stated to a 3" axle as standard production now. They will ship free of charge new axles, brakes, and spring hangers. They will not replace tires or pay labor.

On second rear axle and all 4 tires have a 2 degree tilt in at the top. Dexter sending new gear my way today(tx)(tx)(tx)

-Adam

Mont16
03-27-2014, 06:24 AM
In June 2012 my 2011 Bullet Premier (purchased in FEB2011) had a wheel start smoking just as I was finishing a camping trip. The bearings were gone. When I got it towed to my local RV maintenance site they noticed that the axels were bent. They took pictures and contacted the manufacturer. The manufacturer replace both axels, replaced two of the four wheels and paid for the towing. They stated that they normally do not pay for towing but made an exception. I did not pay anything for the repairs.

AlbertaRvMan
03-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Hi,

I just bought a 2014 premier 31bhpr. I pick it up from the dealer in a few weeks, we do the walk through etc...

I want to have them look to see if my trailer has the issues described in this forum.

Does anyone have pictures as a reference? I'm sure if I mention this to the dealer they will just shrug it off as the trailer is new.

Any other key things I should look for during the walk through, I often hear about leaky windows, not sure if I will be able to see this (maybe I will as the trailer has been sitting in the snow for a bit now and the melt may show some leaks).

Thank you.

GaryWT
03-28-2014, 05:17 AM
After 2012 Keystone started putting the better axles on the Premier line so if you look under you should see 2 nice 3 inch axles.