PDA

View Full Version : Roof vent opening during trailing

joindy
05-02-2012, 03:27 PM
We have a Passport 250BH. We close the roof vent above the bed, and during trailering...on the Interstate, we find it open when we pull over at a stop. As you would expect the air flow going over the top would keep it close...why does it open? I wonder if it could be the air pressure created by passing semi trucks...somehow creating a sucking pressure pulling it up? Any ideas as to why opens? How to keep it shut?

f6bits
05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
There could be some pressure gathering inside the trailer as you motor along.

I have the Maxxair vent covers on both vents so I leave mine open all the time except while I’m camping and need to limit hot/cold air from outside.

http://www.maxxair.com/

Laredo291OH
05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Instead of worrying about why it comes open, just install a Maxxair vent cover and leave it open all the time. That's what we do.

sandy43
05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
X2 with Maxx Air

chuck&gail
05-02-2012, 06:16 PM
No open Maxxair vent on ours when traveling, only when stopped. Found it creates a slight vacuum inside TT that draws in dirt, and if raining draws in water around door bottom. With vent closed, never get a drop of water even in typhoons (almost anyway), and inside stays much cleaner per wife.

Mighty Ming
05-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Wow Chuck that is interesting. Have always left them open with the maxi vents. Gonna keep a closer watch on that when traveling. Now while stopped never an issue. I love this forum...learn something new everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therink
05-02-2012, 07:16 PM
I leave all 3 of mine with Maxair covers cracked open 24/7, 365 towing or not. I have no issues with water or dust.
Steve

BigSur
05-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Quick side question.....do the Maxxair vents limit light coming into the trailer? My TT is dark enough already....I don't want to make it worse. My vents let in some significant light....it'd be a shame to eliminate that.

MIKEPATC
05-03-2012, 04:58 AM
First thing I do is install Maxair covers on all my vents. Always keep them cracked open during storage & traveling.

Retired_Jim
05-03-2012, 05:15 AM
The invention of MaxAir vents ranks right up there with the invention of slice bread.

jsmith948
05-03-2012, 07:48 AM
We have a Passport 250BH. We close the roof vent above the bed, and during trailering...on the Interstate, we find it open when we pull over at a stop. As you would expect the air flow going over the top would keep it close...why does it open? I wonder if it could be the air pressure created by passing semi trucks...somehow creating a sucking pressure pulling it up? Any ideas as to why opens? How to keep it shut?
We found our bedroom roof vent open on one occasion - it was only partially open - I think there is enough slack in the mechanism that, if it is not closed really tightly, it can rattle or bounce open - we now put a little extra torque on the nob (not to the point of damaging it) and have had no further problems:)

hankaye
05-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Howdy All;

X2 what jsmith948 said...

hankaye

SAABDOCTOR
05-03-2012, 10:02 AM
yep maxx air will fix that issue! but why is it opening... well it is haped like a wing and the low pressure is on top so 2 things one is it has a weak mech that keeps it down or you are going very very fast!:rofl:

jbsmith
05-03-2012, 01:39 PM
.....do the Maxxair vents limit light coming into the trailer?

I've got the white covers on mine...I haven't noticed that they cut down on light anymore than the white lids. I usually leave my vents open under the Maxxair covers unless it looks like we're going to see blowing precipitation. I also leave them open/cracked when trailering, again unless it's raining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BigSur
05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
.......... I usually leave my vents open under the Maxxair covers unless it looks like we're going to see blowing precipitation. I also leave them open/cracked when trailering, again unless it's raining.

Even when you're running A/C and Heat??????

f6bits
05-03-2012, 02:28 PM
I leave ours cracked open just to let moisture escape. If shut, we wake up with wet windows.

jbsmith
05-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Even when you're running A/C and Heat??????

Ok...with some exceptions.

Yak
05-03-2012, 06:06 PM
We found our bedroom roof vent open on one occasion - it was only partially open - I think there is enough slack in the mechanism that, if it is not closed really tightly, it can rattle or bounce open - we now put a little extra torque on the nob (not to the point of damaging it) and have had no further problems:)

What he said. Had the same issue in my popup

BigSur
05-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Ok...with some exceptions.
Gotcha. Was just curious if maybe you keep them open still for condensation control. I need to get the covers. I have 2 vents on the TT. Would be nice to keep them open, especially when our 100 degree heat shows up.

jbsmith
05-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Was just curious if maybe you keep them open still for condensation control.

Yep...I usually keep them closed when the AC is on, but they're always open when cooking and showering or if we start to build up moisture on the windows. I usually leave the one in the bath open when the heat is on. For extended camping trips, we use a small dehumidifier for extra moisture control.

KanTC
05-09-2012, 08:01 PM
We also have Maxx-air covers, but in reference to traveling with the roof vents open...
I'm inclined to say that it's not a *one size fits all* answer ~~

Traveling with vents open in areas where there's little to no moisture/humidity in the air [NM, AZ or west TX, for example] will likely
result in an RV full of dust, dirt & sand. Been there, done that, and agree with Chuck's wife... we don't travel with the vents open! ;)

Terri, the co-pilot :)

JRTJH
05-10-2012, 03:28 AM
In the days of NA diesel engines, black exhaust was pretty much commonplace. Travelling with an open vent was a sure way to get black "soot" on anything and everything inside the RV. Now that turbos are more commonplace, that's not quite as big a problem, but still an issue at times. An open vent creates a venturi effect and sucks air out of the RV. If there's a leak (or intentionally open) place near the exhaust or even low and close to the ground, there's most likely going to be dust and/or exhaust gas entering the RV.