PDA

View Full Version : Have you had problems with your tires

Halibutman214
05-02-2012, 10:38 AM
In an effort to know all I can know I do frequent other RV sites and while it's not too bad on here I am REALLY tired of the tire posts that pretty much all say the same thing. It does get a guy to thinking though. What I'm looking for here is some first hand info about the tires they put on OUR Keystones. If you want to simply bash Chinese tires please don't bother.
I'm going to Alaska this year and the last thing (though I'm prepared) I want to deal with is multiple tire failures. The tires on my Keystone are Power King Towmax STR. I would assume if you have a newer Keystone you probably have the same brand of tire. What I'm wanting from you all is to simply know if you've had any issues with these tires? To make this simple maybe approx miles driven and yes or no on failures. When I say failures I'm not talking the occasional flat. Hopefully this will be beneficial to all. Thanks everyone

f6bits
05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
No problems with my TowMaxes in the thousand or so miles I’ve put on them. I keep them above 49 psi and feel them for heat at every stop.

Englishman
05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
My bullet has road rider st and just over 3,000 miles and so far they have been fine. I check the pressure's before each journey. This chart may help.
In my case it looks like they installed the minim rated tire that will support the weight of the trailer at max pressure with little room for error.

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/trailer_tire_service_guide.pdf

johnnyrose
05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for that pamphlet Englishman! That is a super helpful tool to have handy. I am gonna print that and keep it with all of my other paperwork on the 5er. Great post!

2011 keystone
05-02-2012, 11:41 AM
I also have the towmax tires and have about 1500 miles on them with no problems so far.

heatkits
05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I have the dreaded Tow Max tires on my HC 321RES with 10K on them and they look brand new. My buddy, Ken has a new Bullet 26' with the wide spread axels and TM tires, at first I thought what a great idea; as it spreads the weight out further on the frame and would ride better. Then I read Dexter's write-up that said they wear much faster. They went on to say, the wider stance was needed to support frames on some of new light weight trailers, so it's a trade off.

On our last trip Ken noticed his front trailer tires were wearing badly. The curb side tire blew out and by the time he got to exit to change it the other side had scuff so bad it was gone too. He had to replace all four tires to get back home. Ken is like me; checks the tire temps at every stop and air pressure each day. Mine have 2K more on them than his and appear to be in like new condition, but I'm skeptical how long they will last.

therink
05-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I have 2 years and 5k on my towmax and no problems yet. I keep them at 65 always, covered when not in use and watch them like a hawk. Yes, all the write ups make me constantly worry and look in my mirrors. My trailer really should have load range E's as Keystone changed to E's after my model year. Next year I plan on replacing with Maxxis or something made here.

sandy43
05-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I've had bad experiences with tires made in China and I believe (?) Towmax is made there. My last and previous fiver, I had them change tires to Michelin XPS tires before I drove off the lot.

hoffbrew
05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/trailer_tire_service_guide.pdf[/QUOTE]

Fantastic!!! Next week there will be a test on this, LOL!!!:rofl:

chuck&gail
05-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Sorry I can't help on that brand of tire. I also had tires changed to be non-Chinese as part of the sales negotiation.

In fact I've towed over 200,000 miles with various non-Chinese ST tires. Only problems have been a few repairable nail punctures.

smiller
05-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I used Power King Towmax's for about 2 years/10k miles, no problems except for an odd wear pattern on one of them, possibly a balance problem. But no blowouts or failures.

That said, I did recently replace them with a set of Maxxis M8008 in the exact same size (235/80-16) and have to note that the Maxxis were much more substantially built, especially in the sidewall area, and I mean a significant and immediately noticeable difference. I have to say that I was quite surprised at the magnitude.

I do not mean to bash the Towmax's because I don't know what the difference would really translate to in terms of reliability, and as I said I had no problems with the Towmax thus far, but just thought I had to mention it since I was pretty much in the same boat as you in that I'm heading out for a long trip and spent a while trying to decide whether to replace them or not. I guess I'll never know for sure but due to the above I'm pretty happy with my decision.

Johnnyfry
05-03-2012, 06:15 AM
I have 16 inch Towmax tires in my 318SAB and have had no problems for 13K miles plus or minus. They still have good tread on all four and the wear is even.

I did have them balanced soon after leaving the dealer and use tire pressure/temp monitors. I run them at 80 PSI and try not to exceed 60 MPH.

I run at 58 - 60. I see drivers running 70 plus and have to wonder if they are the ones complaining about cheap tires. If I need to get there that fast I'll call United Air Lines and fly.

I too, am planning an Alaska trip beginning in early June and hope I can do it on my present tires without buying 4 new ones until late in the trip, if at all.

John

kenn209
05-03-2012, 06:21 AM
I have those on my 2010 318SAB, I have about 6k miles on them. Wearing normally, I keep them around 55psi. I did notice after my last flat, which was caused by a cracked rim due to a pothole, that the right rear was almost bald on the inside of the tire. Took to a trailer repair shop and they are putting all new running gear on. Dexter has decided to warranty the repair.

CWtheMan
05-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Having a ten year old Everest - got it in 2002 as a 2003 - I’ve used numerous name brand ST tires. In 2006 I put on a new set of TowMax STRs rated at 3520# and have been using them ever since. I’m on a second set without any problems. Keep it under 65 MPH and use maximum air pressure.

http://www.towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing.aspx?application=about-us (http://www.towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing.aspx?application=aboutus)

CW

KanTC
05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
We have Power King Tow Max STR's on our Laredo. 2010 date code, 10,000+ miles, no uneven wear or problems.

As others have said... we also keep them covered when parked and watch tire temps very closely while traveling.
15" tires at 65 psi, and keep it under 65 mph. ;)

Terri, the co-pilot :)

Halibutman214
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
I sincerely appreciate eveyone's responses and while I'll be prepared for the worst on my Alaska trip I'm feeling a little better about just keeping the Tow Max tires. By the time I get back I'll have less than 6000 miles on them and can dang sure use the money for more fun stuff on the trip. Again I thank you:).

LittleJoe
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I have the 235/80/16 towmax's and after a 3000 mile return trip they are performing well, showing very even and almost undetectable wear.

I run them at 80psi and not over 65mph. I checked casing temp regularly and never exceeded 120 deg.

I suggest you weigh your trailer and see how much cushion you have built into tire weight rating.

The tires far exceed the actual axle weight rating on my SRX.

outbackmac
05-09-2012, 04:11 AM
Nice to see a post stick to its original purpose.

I to have these tires 235-80-r16, mounted on a 321 frl outback 5ver, my question is where are you finding speed rating and temps?

smiller
05-09-2012, 04:58 AM
I suggest you weigh your trailer and see how much cushion you have built into tire weight rating.

The tires far exceed the actual axle weight rating on my SRX.
That is a nice thing about the SRX and other lighter models using 16" E-rated tires that actually have a proper safety margin relative to their max. gross weight, vs. running on the very edge as so many units do. This probably has more to do with tire reliability than any other single factor (assuming proper inflation and maintenance.)

I think one thing that will affect anyone's view of acceptable risk vs. early/precautionary tire replacement is whether or not they have experienced a blowout that caused costly collateral damage to their unit. Believe me, once that happens you look at things a little differently.

CWtheMan
05-09-2012, 04:17 PM
I forgot to post this. It should apply to OE tires. Anyway, it's nice to know info for TowXax tire owners.

http://www.towmaxtires.com/catalogs/towmax-str-roadside-assistance.pdf

CW

Jim W
05-11-2012, 06:20 AM
I have 16 inch Towmax tires in my 318SAB and have had no problems for 13K miles plus or minus. They still have good tread on all four and the wear is even.

I did have them balanced soon after leaving the dealer and use tire pressure/temp monitors. I run them at 80 PSI and try not to exceed 60 MPH.

I run at 58 - 60. I see drivers running 70 plus and have to wonder if they are the ones complaining about cheap tires. If I need to get there that fast I'll call United Air Lines and fly.

I too, am planning an Alaska trip beginning in early June and hope I can do it on my present tires without buying 4 new ones until late in the trip, if at all.

John

John,
I failed one tire last year on my 318SAB in NB. Cost me $150 for the tire and $500 deductible for the $3000 in damage to the LH side of the camper. I am a stickler for checking things I check my air pressure in my tires first thing in the morning always. Whenever we stop I check the tire temperature with an IR heat gun to make sure they are not out of the temperature zone. When the tire failed I had just check the air pressure and it was 80PSI +/- 3 PSI and failed 10 min's out from the camp ground on Interstate 80.
I have replaced all of trailer tires with Michelins XPS RIBs LT245/75R16 E. tires.
Jim W.

sandy43
05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
No. New XPS Rib's before I left the dealer.

CWtheMan
05-11-2012, 07:49 PM
No. New XPS Rib's before I left the dealer.

According to the 2012 Keystone specs I’m guessing your GAWR is 6750#, ea. None of the XPS Ribs measure up to those axles. You’re asking a lot from tires rated at 3042#.

http://www.keystone-alpine.com/index.php?page=floorplans&model=3200RL&year=2012

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.120

CW

smiller
05-11-2012, 07:57 PM
According to the 2012 Keystone specs I’m guessing your GAWR is 6750#, ea. None of the XPS Ribs measure up to those axles. You’re asking a lot from tires rated at 3042#.
Yep, but you're about to hear that you can 'really use the tires at a higher load.' Usually you hear this from the same people who tell you that tow vehicle ratings are inviolable. ;)

Jim W
05-12-2012, 06:38 AM

http://www.keystone-alpine.com/index.php?page=floorplans&model=3200RL&year=2012

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.120

CW

CW,
I went to a reduced tire capacity tire rating also when I went from my ST235/80R16 tires that were on my 318SAB 5er. I went to Michelin LT245/75R16 tires these are rated for 3042 LBS each at 80 PSI.
The reason I could justify these tires is I have scaled my trailer and truck fully loaded for two weeks of camping. My load out include all passengers, full load of fuel and all are accessories that we carry for two weeks. The weights are GCVW is 18,200 LBS, trailer axle weights are 8,140 LBS, this is for both axles, drive axle on truck is 5,160 LBS, and the steer axle is 4,940 LBS. So with the Michelins tires I am will within the safe towing loads for these tires.
I would not recommend these tires to everyone unless you know the weight that you are towing and the axle weight of your trailer.

Jim W.

CWtheMan
05-12-2012, 02:00 PM
When people have a mind set about tires it’s very hard to convince them their decisions may be flawed by loyalty.

Using any tires from any design or manufacturer that cannot support the RV trailers certified GAWR is a direct violation of government regulations.

That statement is not intended to be a “police” action. It’s a fact and a fact that many may not be familiar with. There are zero circumstances where the regulators or any other entity in the tire industry would support such action. It’s unsafe, unwise and unlawful. There is no justification to be found anywhere to support installing tires more than 650# below the certified minimum axle requirement.

Here is the standard again. Read it. It’s very specific about the minimum requirement.

CW

CWtheMan
05-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Yep, but you're about to hear that you can 'really use the tires at a higher load.' Usually you hear this from the same people who tell you that tow vehicle ratings are inviolable. ;)

Tow vehicle tire fitment cannot be compared to RV trailer tire fitment. They are governed differently. Regardless of where inspirations come from.

CW

Festus2
05-12-2012, 02:11 PM
CW -
Are there similar rules/regulations and standards for RV's whose GVWR is LESS than 10000 lbs. and would these standards be equivalent and offer the same protection? I note that this document refers only to 10000 lbs or more. Our Cougar has a GVWR rating of 9940 lbs. so are the standards different? Lower? Or??

Tom and Kelley Crawford
05-12-2012, 03:26 PM
2010 327RES fifth wheel with the same tires. We paid very close attention to the tire pressure and never had a problem for 2 yrs and maybe 3k miles on the tires. They still had great tread and no cracking or uneven wear. Left on a trip from FL to NC. 1 hr into trip we had a blowout which did major damage to the camper on the passenger side. One week later driving from NC to FL we had blowout number 2 on I75 in downtown Atlanta. This one was on the driver side and did more damage. We stopped at the next tire store and had the other two and the spare replaced. In total, our repair bill was $3500. Unfortunately we did not have time to shop for tires, we had to take what they had but in the future we will change tires every two years no matter the miles or wear. Next time we will put the Michelin Ribs truck tires and not a trailer tire.

Halibutman214
05-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice to see a post stick to its original purpose.

It was nice while it lasted. Let's see now, what was it we were discussing.... oh putting tires on that are not rated for the load they are carrying. Not sure if the law has changed but the tire shop I worked in for a couple years would not put them on and the local Les Shwab would not either. There's something called liability.

CWtheMan
05-12-2012, 09:16 PM
CW -
Are there similar rules/regulations and standards for RV's whose GVWR is LESS than 10000 lbs. and would these standards be equivalent and offer the same protection? I note that this document refers only to 10000 lbs or more. Our Cougar has a GVWR rating of 9940 lbs. so are the standards different? Lower? Or??

Yes, here it is.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.110

CW

CWtheMan
05-12-2012, 09:45 PM
2010 327RES fifth wheel with the same tires. We paid very close attention to the tire pressure and never had a problem for 2 yrs and maybe 3k miles on the tires. They still had great tread and no cracking or uneven wear. Left on a trip from FL to NC. 1 hr into trip we had a blowout which did major damage to the camper on the passenger side. One week later driving from NC to FL we had blowout number 2 on I75 in downtown Atlanta. This one was on the driver side and did more damage. We stopped at the next tire store and had the other two and the spare replaced. In total, our repair bill was $3500. Unfortunately we did not have time to shop for tires, we had to take what they had but in the future we will change tires every two years no matter the miles or wear. Next time we will put the Michelin Ribs truck tires and not a trailer tire.

This is not intended to be an accusation. Its just information for your consideration.

Because of the low mileage on your tires I suspect the trailer spends more time in storage than on the road. Tires, especially trailer tires, have a tendency to age badly while in storage. Mostly because of the conditions they are kept in. They should be kept on blocks and protected from direct sun light. The trailer should be as level as you can get it. The tire pressure should be kept at the maximum amount listed on the sidewall. The tires should be rotated 180 degrees every three months. A short trip around the block is recommended. Sometimes extra items are kept in the trailer while its in storage. Bad idea if its going to overload the tires.

That just scratches the surface. But those are some of the items that cause accelerated tire aging. Chemicals built into the tire can cause them to age from the inside out. They will look like new but in fact can be very weak.

CW

RVUSA
05-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Interestingly Carlisle says to reduce the air pressure in their ST's when put in storage, on blocks as well. They say to replace every 2 - 3 years regardless of mileage.

As an aside... Tire rack shows the country of origin to be china for the towmax's.

CWtheMan
05-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Interestingly Carlisle says to reduce the air pressure in their ST's when put in storage, on blocks as well. They say to replace every 2 - 3 years regardless of mileage.

As an aside... Tire rack shows the country of origin to be china for the towmax's.

Most RV trailer owners do not jack the frame while its being stored.

Carlisle has two distinct air pressure conditions. While any of their ST tires are in service - vehicle weight on the tires - they require full sidewall pressure. When out of service and the frame is lifted to a position to relive the vehicle’s weight from the tires the air pressures should be reduced.

Another little tidbit about Carlisle ST tires is their speed rating. 60 MPH! That can also be found in the reference provided below.

For the air pressures open the resources tab and then open the “proper tire care & safety PDF..

http://www.carlisletire.com/

CW

RVUSA
05-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Another little tidbit about Carlisle ST tires is their speed rating. 60 MPH! That can also be found in the reference provided below.

http://www.carlisletire.com/

CW

Could you link to that directly for me? I have the carlisle radials, and the only speed rating I can find is "highway speeds". Is that 55, 60, 65, 70, or 75?

JRTJH
05-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Could you link to that directly for me? I have the carlisle radials, and the only speed rating I can find is "highway speeds". Is that 55, 60, 65, 70, or 75?

Here's the link.

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/trailer_tire_poster.pdf

About halfway down the page in a paragraph that says:
High speed towing in hot conditions degrades Trailer Tires significantly. As heat builds up during driving, the tire’s internal structure starts to breakdown compromising the strength of the tire. It is recommended to not exceed 60 Miles per hour (MPH) while towing a trailer.

CWtheMan
05-16-2012, 06:06 PM
In an effort to know all I can know I do frequent other RV sites and while it's not too bad on here I am REALLY tired of the tire posts that pretty much all say the same thing. It does get a guy to thinking though. What I'm looking for here is some first hand info about the tires they put on OUR Keystones. If you want to simply bash Chinese tires please don't bother.
I'm going to Alaska this year and the last thing (though I'm prepared) I want to deal with is multiple tire failures. The tires on my Keystone are Power King Towmax STR. I would assume if you have a newer Keystone you probably have the same brand of tire. What I'm wanting from you all is to simply know if you've had any issues with these tires? To make this simple maybe approx miles driven and yes or no on failures. When I say failures I'm not talking the occasional flat. Hopefully this will be beneficial to all. Thanks everyone

I was researching some tires for another post and found these and thought about this post.

Both of the tires in the reference have increased load capacities greater than your OE tires. They have much higher speed ratings and fit your rims. The increased tire pressure may not be compatible with your current rims.

http://www.powerkingtires.com/Tires/Highway/Light%20Van%20Radial/56

It’s just an option I found for those with your size tires and looking for options with increased load capacities and better speed ranges for the open roads. I’m sure there are more in this size from other manufacturers.

CW

Quiroule
06-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Another important point, there is a discrepancy regarding the wheel’s torque level given in the Carlisle info at

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/trailer_tire_service_guide.pdf

and the Keystone information on the video at:

http://www.keystonerv.com/?page=video_library

I would go with the one from Keystone.

mguay
06-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I'll try to get us back on track with the OP's question...

2010 Laredo 316RL. Bought in 06/09. On the scales....2400# +/- on each wheel. LOADED
Original TowMax ST 235/80/16's. Balanced them when I drove it off the lot. Been to Key West twice, VA Beach twice, Niagara, Ontario, Quebec, DownEast Maine and everywhere in between, as well as every weekend that were not on a long haul, our favorite CG is 140 miles one way.
If I had to ballpark it...I would say that I have somewhere in the 25-30K range on them. They have about 1/3 of the tread left and wear great.
I had the alignment checked last year and it was dead on.
I run them at 80psi and check them every time they turn.
I rotate them every time I do the TV and include the spare.
I pay attention to how sharp I turn and try not to "drag a tire".
I stay as far away from curbs as possible.
And I set the cruise at 73mph.

Am I scared....only due to all the negative posting about them.

I have looked into goin the LT way for replacement...but I'm more than happy with my ST's at this time.

fla-gypsy
06-02-2012, 04:56 PM
My Keystone Hornet came with Chinese made Duro's that disintegrated within 18 months. I replaced them with Thai made Maxxis and have had great service from them. I hate Chinese made tires. Bash over!

retfrm
06-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Only problem was tire wore down on inside due to a bent axle. Made them replace axle and put spare on in place of worn tire. Took it to California and back. No problem. Got over 15000 miles on them and just got it inspected. Tires are still in good shape. I also am going to Alaska probably next year but with four new tires.

Azdryheat
09-24-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm going to Alaska this year and the last thing (though I'm prepared) I want to deal with is multiple tire failures. The tires on my Keystone are Power King Towmax STR. I would assume if you have a newer Keystone you probably have the same brand of tire. What I'm wanting from you all is to simply know if you've had any issues with these tires? To make this simple maybe approx miles driven and yes or no on failures. When I say failures I'm not talking the occasional flat. Hopefully this will be beneficial to all. Thanks everyoneI've had too many ST tires fail on me over the years. The tires they put on our Keystones, regardless of the brand, all come from CHINA. I don't see how you can keep CHINA out of the equation. China makes crappy tires that separate and ultimately explode and that's a fact and that is all the brands, even TOWMAX.

I took the CHINESE Will-pops (Marathon's) off my Everest and put on LT truck tires and that's what I would do if I were you.

Festus2
09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
At the risk of starting a Made in China vs Made in the USA tire war here on the forum, I understand that many RVer's have Maxxis tires on their RV's and, if you believe what these owners have to say, they are excellent tires. I know that there are some members here on this forum who swear by the Maxxis tires that they have installed on their TT's.

Maxxis is one of the world's largest tire manufacturers which was founded in Taiwan in 1967. Their factories are found in China, Thailand and also in North America. Are the Maxxis tires manufactured in North America superior to those manufactured in Taiwan? I don't know but I doubt it.
I had Maxxis tires manufactured off-shore, on a previous 5th wheel and drove thousands of miles on them and never had one problem - no explosions, no separations or blowouts. I would hardly describe them as being "Chinese Will Pops". "Crappy" tires"?? I don't think so.

Granted, many off shore tires were and are failures - right from the get-go and deserved the poor reputation that was associated with them. Many of them were made in China and were "crappy".
To say or to imply that all tires not made in the USA are "crappy" is a stretch and simply not true. There are numerous car tires, for example, that are made in Japan and in Europe that are of very high quality.

I'm not here defending off-shore tire brands but if you make a broad, sweeping statement saying that all Chinese tires are crappy, you are, by default, including Maxxis in your condemnation of anything not made in North America as being a piece of junk. By reading your posts, I realize that you have had some bad experiences with Chinese tires and obviously do not like them and would not recommend that anyone have them on their TT. Fair enough. However, if you would take the time to talk to those who have Maxxis tires, I am certain you would get a different and more positive endorsement of that brand of off-shore (Thailand) tire.

These Maxxis off-shore made ST tires are, by all accounts, highly rated and respected amongst the RVing community.

Azdryheat
09-24-2012, 08:36 PM
OK, all Chinese made ST tires are crap. lol

Too many people have had even brand new ST Chinese tires blow up and cause damage. Mine were Marathons that blew up and caused much damage. I've never had an LT blow up.

My question is, Why are ST tires not made in the US? With a name like Goodyear you would expect their Marathon's to be a reliable tire. They're not - and they're made in China. I don't trust any tire from China and that is why I trust my US made LT tires, which have never failed me. If an ST were ever to be made in the US, I would really consider it.

One thing I would recommend to everyone is getting a TPMS installed.

therink
09-25-2012, 02:29 AM
I have heard that Carlisle STs are now made in the USA.
Steve

Quiroule
09-25-2012, 04:57 AM
To add to the confusion of those who are half as confused and worried as I am.

I have Towmax on my 2010 Cougar HC. They have about 25% wear. After reading all the horror stories I was wondering if I should change them.

So I talked to a brother-in-law who sells tires about getting LT tires. He tells me that I needed ST’s which are made to withstand the side pressure on the tires when making sharp turn.

Is-he right, if not what is the difference between ST and LT.

SAABDOCTOR
09-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Hey festus in an other thread someone stated everything made in the U.S. is junk therefore i conclued it must all be junk! we are dommed!:eek:LOL the devil made me write this! but i am with you and what you posted(tx)quiroule you out law tire relitive is right LT icall light truck ST i call side wall tough for trailers.

smiller
09-25-2012, 04:13 PM
There are so many variables in the tire equation that no single blanket statement is correct, especially the blanket statements that 'all' ST tires are inferior or 'all' offshore-manufactured tires are inferior. It's just one of those internet memes that will be repeated forever it seems.

As to the difference between ST and LT tires, ST tires are designed for trailer use and usually have stronger sidewalls to resist side-stresses during cornering (since they drag rather than steer) and a higher aspect ratio and less tread depth to provide lower rolling resistance and higher stability. There are also some commercial LT tires that are approved for trailer use (and note that only these LT tires are manufacturer-approved for trailer applications.)

As Festus noted there are certain brands and models of ST tires that have been trouble-prone in service for a number of reasons, perhaps either poor design or manufacture, or the RV manufacturer equipped the vehicle with barely-adequate tires in terms of weight rating (unfortunately a very common practice), etc. and as a result it pays to research a purchase in advance. ST tires seem to be a niche market without a lot of options and right now it appears that Maxxis is about the only ST tire manufacturer with a good record (defined as reports of sudden failures being few or non-existant), but that's not to say that they are the only good ones. There are also a few good options in approved LT tire models as well but agan, I'm not sure it's wise to slap just any LT tire on a trailer and call it 'better.' Again, there are many factors to consider and no single generalization is always correct.