PDA

View Full Version : Brake Adjustment

therink
04-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I just finished adjusting my brakes on the fiver and have a question. I raised each wheel and tightened star wheel until wheel stops spinning, and then backed off 8 notches. All good.
I noticed a clicking noise inside the left front Brake drum when spinning the wheel forward then changing wheel rotation to backwards direction. It sounds like something may be loose inside the drum. I took her for a test drive and the brakes seem to work well. When I returned home, I felt temp on all 4 hubs. They all feel about the same temp except for the left front, making me think this brake may not be working correctly. I can say that the brakes is getting signal and is working because I tested it when I was adjusting it. I have about 5000 miles on it since new. Any thoughts or ideas what may be going on? I figured I would ask before I take it apart.

rhagfo
04-29-2012, 03:14 PM
I would say that the clicking is either a bearing going bad or something loose in the drum.
Myself that drum would have been off when I heard the noise!

Time to open it up and have a look, or take to a service department.

RdRmr
04-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I had one years ago where the brake shoe retaining pins/springs broke and had no braking on that wheel at all. Found it out while backing up, DW said she heard a noise from that wheel. Pulled the drum/hub and everything fell out.:(
I repaired both sides of the axle, that's just me.
Only way to find out for sure is take it apart.
Happy Campin.