PDA

View Full Version : Emergency exit window screens

f6bits
04-24-2012, 04:33 PM
As I was napping and staring at the emergency exit window, I realized that it has a screen.

Why? You can't pop that window open for ventilation. And the screen is just one more obstacle for getting out in a hurry.

Englishman
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
We pop our escape windows open for air when we are at the camper and close them if we leave the site. They let in a lot of extra air. The screen may help to keep the bugs out but it difficult to tell as the kids leave the screen door open.:banghead:

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

mic1hael
04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
I have two in my trailer and I agree with Englishman. You pop those babies open and the fresh air comes in like a breeze. That is one of the reasons I love this trailer."bouncey:

JRTJH
04-25-2012, 05:22 AM
We pop our escape windows open for air when we are at the camper and close them if we leave the site. They let in a lot of extra air. The screen may help to keep the bugs out but it difficult to tell as the kids leave the screen door open.:banghead:

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, kids have a way of doing that... (So do wives, husbands, dogs, that "ghost" and "he did it" LOL

Anyway, we've used this kind of "closer" with really good success. It won't latch the screen door in the roller catch, but it does keep it closed pretty much for the most part.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-screen-door-closer/1139

It might help keep the bugs out of your camper, check it out.

As for the exit windows, we only have one and it's in the bedroom. It's about an 8' drop to the ground and the window is about 1.5 x 2.5 ft. I think that for many of us, calling it an emergency exit is just a way for RVIA to meet a code. I'm not sure even my "skinny butt" would fit through that thing, and if it did, it's a long way to drop head first to the ground. I think I'll just use the fire extinguisher that I mounted in the bedroom right by the steps going down and hope for the best. Laying unconscious outside a burning RV from a head injury probalby isn't the best way to exit anyway.... :)

f6bits
04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the tips. I sure like how easily they open. They'll be some of my primary venting windows from now on while we're in the trailer.

Englishman
04-27-2012, 04:33 AM
JRTJH thank for the info on the door closer's i will check them out:thumbsup:

JRTJH
04-27-2012, 09:00 AM
JRTJH thank for the info on the door closer's i will check them out:thumbsup:

You're most welcome. Essentially, it is just a smaller diameter "old fashioned spring screen door closer" like Grandma used to have. I had one on my Jayco and have put one on all our RV's since then. It isn't strong enough to lock the roller into the latch on the screen door, (which is kind of nice because the door doesn't slam shut) but it will keep it closed against the jamb and stop most bugs from entering...

We're in the grandkid stage now, but just like the "original set of crumb crunchers" not only do they leave the screen door open, they have yet to learn how to wipe their feet..... :rofl: