PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay cool in the Summer

hankaye
04-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Howdy All;

Just courious as to how the folks in the Southwest
(HOT & dry), do their cooling.
I've been checking into a Swamp Cooler. Any suggestions?

hankaye

jsmith948
04-23-2012, 03:58 AM
I think it depends on the humidity. The drier it is, the better a swamp cooler works.
I can remember when a large majority of the homes here in the Central San Joaquin Valley were cooled with swamp coolers, but, the humidity here used to be in the low teens. Now, with the additional homes (landscaping, pools, watered lawns) and the additional land put into irrigated row crops (as opposed to dry land pasture and wheat) our humidity is 35% +.
Now, almost all of the homes are air-conditioned - FWIW

azlee56
04-23-2012, 05:11 AM
swamps are mostly used. I had a great one, it was like a master cool but a different kind. I got mine from Naughtons, which believe it or not was cheaper then Lowes and Home Depot. I had a floor blower. The big problem with it is that the humidity it hits your floor with it. The sub floor will warp.

They are way less expensive then an air conditioner, but during any kind of rain season will not cool. At any time they only keep the house about 15-20 degrees cooler then the outside. When it is 100 here, 80 is pretty comfortable in the house. Sometimes they will freeze you out (during the first of the day and the evening.)

hankaye
04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Howdy All;

Thanks for the replies.
As I'd mentioned I've been doin' some checkin' around.....
found this looks to be the most feasiable;

http://www.turbokool.com/

Thinking I'd put it in the vent in the bedroom.

hank

jsmith948
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Hankaye,
Thanks for posting the link - that cooler looks like a neat set-up
We enjoy camping at the state parks, many of which have no hook-ups
Better than running a generator to stay cool and at night, when you need cooling in the bedroom, most parks won't allow generators
Thanks for the great idea

KanTC
04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi Hankaye,

We had a ducted swamp (evaporative) cooler in our home for several years, but changed to
refrigerated air about 10 yrs ago. A swamp cooler serves its purpose in very dry climates
-by directly adding moisture to cool the forced air- but it's (obviously) not the same as
the "cold/dry air" that you have with a/c & the comfort level also varies from person to person. ;)

That said... and, if you don't mind me asking: WHY are you considering a swamp cooler in
place of using your RV a/c??

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

hankaye
04-25-2012, 04:39 PM
KanTC, Howdy;

Terry, I'm way down in Arrey, N.M. (between Hatch and T or C), right now
the temp is 86deg.and the humidity is 6% ..... thermomitor, (sp?) in the shade
outside of the gameroom has been bangin' on 100's door all week so far.

Trying to run an A/C would be like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.
By installing the swamp in the hole for the bedroom vent I can keep the A/C for
when/if (God forbid), I end up in one of the more humid environs.....

hankaye

halfprice
04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
In sunny SoCal I run the A/C all the time, but I installed Solar panels two years ago. My electric bill is $150 a year. So I don't hesitate to run the air.

I also jump in the pool :bdance:

Jerry