PDA

View Full Version : Battery disconnect switch. Oh how you deceive me.

Camp I am
04-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I guess I was under the assumption that the battery cut-off switch disconnected the power on the entire rig? I can still operate my slides and power awning with it in the off postion? I Havnt checked to see if the fridge gets cut off or not, but the furnace along with the water pump, waterheater, interior lights, and other items on the command center appear to be cut off from the battery. What would be the purpose of not having it disconnect the 12v power for the entire camper?

f6bits
04-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Is your battery disconnect from the factory? In your case, they probably shouldn’t call it a battery cutoff. I installed mine and if I ever need power, I run up front and flip the switch.

66ken
04-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Tell us how the switch is installed. You should have no power if installed correctly.

Camp I am
04-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes its from the factory that way. I'll have to look how its wired when it's light outside, it's after dark now. I'm sure I can rewire it easily enough if I decide I want total cut-off but any guesses why it wouldnt be that way already from the factory?

mhs4771
04-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Exactly where is your cutoff switch located?? On the Montanas it's in the convenience center, yet the slide pump is wired directly to the battery (through a resettable breaker) in the battery compartment thus not affected by the cutoff switch, not sure about the awing.

Camp I am
04-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Exactly where is your cutoff switch located?? On the Montanas it's in the convenience center, yet the slide pump is wired directly to the battery (through a resettable breaker) in the battery compartment thus not affected by the cutoff switch, not sure about the awing.

Got a chance to look at it closer and it's set up simular to yours. It's located in the "conveniance center" and when i go into the compartment with the battery I can see they put a multi-tap terminal in there and split the power lead 3 ways, one to the battery disconnect, one to the slide pump, and one looks like it goes somewhere else but it was getting late so I didnt chase it any further. I wonder why they wouldnt make it fully disconnect everything. Easy enough for me to change but why?

webslave
04-26-2012, 03:43 PM
My Cougar is wired the same way... My guess is that with "remote control" of those items, the easiest way was to route the power for those items away from the 12v output of the converter and conserve wire by routing to the remote panel. In a way it makes some sense; the "object" of the disconnect for most is to remove those battery drains that could ruin a battery during storage conditions. By only killing the power to the converter it affectively removes those ghost drains on the battery, i.e., LP detector, forgotten lights left on inside or in storage bays, etc. Leaving power to those devices controlled by the remote control panel in the forward bay wouldn't drain the battery during storage since they only "consume" when activated and without the remote, only the landing jacks could be activated.

Not that I in anyway agree, but, I see their thinking; personally, if I throw the switch, I'd like it to kill everything...a disconnect should disconnect not restrict operation.

shooted
04-26-2012, 04:40 PM
The items you describe must be reliable to close up camp and get moving. The only reason they do not come from the dc distribution center is for reliability, they are on their own circuit breakers right off the batteries. Every RV I have seen has these items on their own circuits. Having said that I see no reason not to run them thru the disconnect.

SteveC7010
04-26-2012, 04:49 PM
I am right in the middle of installing a Blue Sea battery switch so that I can add a second battery to my system. I pondered some of these issues when deciding how to wire the switch. Much as I understand the reasoning behind leaving the slide power system hot when the battery is switched off, I prefer to have the entire 12 volt system off when the battery switch is set to OFF. That way, if there is a problem, shutting off the batteries will kill the whole system and not just part of it.

My Cougar has the remote control system for the slides and the awning. For me, leaving all that hot with the batteries otherwise shut off doesn't accomplish what I expect a battery switch to do.

Texascamper
04-27-2012, 02:39 AM
I was told the only reason for the battery disconnect is to disconnect items that would continue to drain your battery if you are in storage. If you want to disconnect everything disconnect the battery by removing the leads. It's just to make storing your camper easier.

Festus2
04-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Texas Camper -
Another reason for having a battery disconnect is to prevent malicious types from playing around with exterior front jack switch or other easily accessible switches on the outside of your unit when you are not around. Some have moved these switches inside a compartment but for those who haven't, the battery disconnect switch is a good way to stop these "accidents" from happening.

Camp I am
04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Texas Camper -
Another reason for having a battery disconnect is to prevent malicious types from playing around with exterior front jack switch or other easily accessible switches on the outside of your unit when you are not around. Some have moved these switches inside a compartment but for those who haven't, the battery disconnect switch is a good way to stop these "accidents" from happening.

True that! :jester:

Mike O
04-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Hello I'm completely new to 5th wheels or any trailer for that matter. I have a 2002 Laredo 27RLD. I just went out yesterday to slide in the slides and all of a sudden my slides just stopped working along with my interior lights also which made me think I drained the batteries completely but I had my truck connected to the trailer and thought that would boost my batts. Is there a switch that I'm unaware of that I'm supposed to throw when I'm hooked to the trailer?:confused: If so where would it be? I checked the breaker/fuse box all is fine. I also looked in the batt compartment and didn't see any type of switch.

Festus2
04-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Your slide probably has a 30A circuit breaker which is somewhere near the battery but it sounds to me like another issue.

If your interior lights do not go on as well, that would suggest that it might be a battery related problem. You did the right thing by plugging in your truck to the trailer while operating the slide. However, if your battery is discharged or to the point where it won't accept a charge, plugging your truck in for a very short time won't bring it up to full charge. The slide needs a fully-charged battery to operate.

If you are able put a charger on the battery and try again or, if you can swap your battery for a known good one, try that. Check the water level in the battery and use a hydrometer to check out the S.G. of each cell.

If you are close, take the suspect battery to a battery dealer and get them to check it out.

Bob Landry
04-28-2013, 01:27 PM
I haven't tried to operate my slides or awning with the battery switch off, but I will, because my curiosity is now up. My slides are wired direct to the battery as is my electric tongue jack. but they are also wired through circuit breakers installed close to the battery, so that makes me think that probably because of high operating current potentially burning out the switches, the slides are operated through relays that are switched by the wall switches. These little rocker switches are only good for around 10A, but I don't know what amperage a slide draws when operating. The relays would be 12V relays, so turning off the battery via switch should disable the slides also, same with the awning. My tongue jack is direct wired and protected with a circuit breaker.

The breakaway switch should always be direct wired to the battery.

Festus2
04-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Bob -
I believe the slide has a 30A auto reset breaker ....mine does but yours may be different. Not sure what the actual current draw is but I think it must be more than 10A.

Mike O
04-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah I'm picking up a batt charger tomorrow. I hope that's all it is. This 5er I picked up is immaculate except for little things like the rubber seals around the slides need replaced just from dry rot n such. I have the owners manual and it's pretty much good for nothing. I checked in there to find possibly a wiring diagram for the trailer but nothing. The manual is useless. When I bought the trailer he showed me everything worked even the microwave. Now I can't even get that to work even though I'm hooked up to the trailer hence the reason for me asking about a switch that switches between battery and truck power. Now that I think about it...he had the trailer hooked into power from his house with an extension cord...

EricLynnAllison
04-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I installed a battery disconnect right off the main battery. I like everything off when in storage.

Mike O
05-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Well I had a trailer mech come and show me what was wrong. I had tripped a breaker up front near the batteries but the breaker was in a hidden spot where I couldn't see it. Mechanic also told me that my 5th wheel has NO switch for power. It's all through the batteries completely.

Pmedic4
05-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Texas Camper -

Yeah, I appreciate the Cougar put the switches inside a locking compartment. With my old TT, I went to the storage area one time, and found someone had played with the switch on the front jack, and lowered it all the way to the ground. Didn't look like it hurt anything, but installed a battery cutoff switch after that.
Regarding the battery disconnect on my Cougar, I too was surprised that the landing gear/jacks/awning and slides aren't connected through the built-in battery disconnect switch, but after thinking about it, none of those things would have a parasitic drain like the radio or CO detector, inverter, etc., so it only disconnects those items that would provide the hidden drain to the battery.
At least that's my theory.

JRTJH
05-03-2013, 09:21 PM
I haven't tried to operate my slides or awning with the battery switch off, but I will, because my curiosity is now up..

Bob, I think the owner's manual states not to actuate the slide unless there is a battery in the system. Operating the slide with the battery cutoff switch in the off position is effectively the same thing as removing the battery from the circuit. I believe the reason for that caution is to prevent overloading the converter. If you get your "curiosity up" and start experimenting, you may damage your converter. Think it out before you start experimenting :)

RVbear
05-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Very true. That is one reason that the large loads, slides & landing gear, are powered before the battery disconnect. There should be no parasitic loads associated with these components. That said, it appears that the control panel on my 2013 327res draws a slight amount of current to keep the "Panel Power" button dimly lit. This is evidenced by a slight arc when the negative battery lead is lifted. The panel itself is also powered before the disconnect switch. I'm still checking this out.

Jim Dow
05-05-2013, 06:45 PM
I had a similar experience. I installed a for real battery cut-off switch in my Montana High Country.

rhagfo
05-06-2013, 04:58 AM
I installed my own also, directly off the battery. I typically, never operate the slides with shore power connected always use only the battery. I have ended all parasitic draws.

wmcclay
05-08-2013, 06:09 AM
When installing a battery cutoff switch it is a good idea not to include the brake pull switch. If you forget to turn on batterys you will have e brake system operational. With 5ers the chances are less than a pull trailer.

Wayne

Jim Dow
06-23-2013, 01:33 PM
It's easy enough to install a "for sure" battery disconnect switch. I installed a second 12v battery (parallel), a keyed (lockable) battery disconnect (1, 2, or all) switch, and two Battery Tender chargers - just to have things under control. Just turn the dial/knob; no cables to disconnect/connect.

kiwi2000
07-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Someone in this thread states they store their battery over winter. But because it is toxic no doubt the reason for the shroud and venting to the exterior where would I store this thing?
Storing in our garage would be just as frigid as leaving it in the trailer.

So?

Festus2
07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
As long as you keep your battery charged, it can be stored in "frigid" conditions and places. If you have a trickle charger, keep it in your garage - if you have A/C power - and hooked up to your battery. Today's batteries can be safely stored on concrete contrary to the belief/myth that some still hold that they can't.

I leave my batteries outside in the 5th all winter. Mind you, we don't get many that many days of below freezing temperatures but have had a couple of 1 - 2 week long periods of temps around -10C. When this happens, I plug in the 5th wheel to the house and use the converter charger to keep the batteries up. I also plug it in every so often throughout the winter for the same reason.

Pmedic4
07-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Someone in this thread states they store their battery over winter. But because it is toxic no doubt the reason for the shroud and venting to the exterior where would I store this thing?
Storing in our garage would be just as frigid as leaving it in the trailer.

So?

I take out my battery and put in the garage over the winter on on a battery minder. My storage location does not have power so I can't plug in my battery minder there, which is the main reason why I take out the battery. Previously, I've just left the battery in over the winter without charging, and had a battery sulfinate in the spring. Figure it only takes about 2 minutes more when winterizing, and might save the cost of an $80-90 battery in the spring.

Jim Dow
07-07-2013, 06:24 PM
I chose to leave the 5er wired as it was; but I just don't like to disconnect/re-connect the batteries - when it's necessary to kill the whole thing. I chose to add a second battery (both batteries individually fused) and a lockable disconnect switch close to the battery box. That way, I can easily choose to use the 5er's wiring system as designed, or I can choose to disconnect the entire system without disturbing the wires.

kiwi2000
07-10-2013, 05:39 AM
I typically, never operate the slides with shore power connected always use only the battery

OK I will bite.

Why would you not use shore power to operate the slides?

labs4life
07-10-2013, 06:36 AM
The slide motor is a 12v motor.

kiwi2000
07-18-2013, 04:11 PM
The slide motor is a 12v motor

So there is no choice then to operate between shore power and battery when operating the slides.

macattack
08-26-2013, 06:51 AM
If like my 2012 Montana, the battery disconnect does NOT disconnect power to the hydraulic pump nor to the remote control system (might be a couple of other things I haven't discovered, too. Like maybe smoke and propane detectors?) Like others have said, I am not sure of the logic in this, but it does allow you to hook up and go without connecting power to the inside of the coach.

Nevertheless, I simply installed a second battery disconnect switch in the negative battery cable that connects to the coach chassis, and I can then be absolutely sure that all power is disconnected when in storage. Or save that cost and simply disconnect the negative battery lead.

Yosemitebob
09-21-2013, 10:27 PM
I am in the process of installing a marine battery shut off switch. I to want everything off when I put it in storage, nothing should be left on. It is a simple project to do by the way, but the switch is not cheap.

kiwi2000
10-01-2013, 04:37 AM
I purchased the switch that was shown earlier in this forum http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NW_786125_0076263386 and the cable as well.
My dealer wanted $200.00 to install it and said I was missing a piece, the mounting plate for the switch.

Does anyone know where to get this plate?
Would it be at the place that sells the switch,or?

JRTJH
10-01-2013, 06:58 AM
I purchased the switch that was shown earlier in this forum http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NW_786125_0076263386 and the cable as well.
My dealer wanted $200.00 to install it and said I was missing a piece, the mounting plate for the switch.

Does anyone know where to get this plate?
Would it be at the place that sells the switch,or?

I used the same switch in my Springdale and simply put it in a $5 gray plastic outlet box and cover that I bought at Lowe's. There's no requirement to have a $200 plate to install the switch.

Here's a picture of what I did:

SAABDOCTOR
10-01-2013, 07:15 AM
WELL FOR $195.00 more you may have gotten a metal box instead of a plastic box! that cosst a buck more than john's way and the dealer would take his family out for a nice dinner on you!:D do it John's way you'll be fine and you and the DW can spend the rest on more camping time.:cool:

kiwi2000
10-01-2013, 09:35 AM
john posted a small picture I purchased the gear from a photo in another thread and included the purchased item in my post. Apparently a bracket of some sort is required.

JRTJH
10-01-2013, 10:06 AM
john posted a small picture I purchased the gear from a photo in another thread and included the purchased item in my post. Apparently a bracket of some sort is required.

If you click on that "small picture" it opens to about 5" x 7" and is much easier to see. I can't imagine why a bracket would be required to install the cut off switch. The box can be mounted anywhere on the trailer (only limited by the length of the wiring connected to the battery).

The link you posted (NAPA switch) is the same switch I used in the gray plastic box. I can't visualize the limitations you'd have or why you'd need a "special bracket" ?????????

Chip999
10-02-2013, 05:49 AM
Being new to a Keystone product, I just want to share and get opinion on my old practice and new practice with the fifth wheel... I took the nuts off the battery connect terminals and replaced them with wingnuts. When only putting the Cougar to sleep for a few days between trips, I turn the disconnect switch inside to "off", knowing that there were still things that would operate (slides, landing gear, etc.). When not heading out for more than a week or two, I take the battery completely out and put it in the garage. And for winter, I also remove the battery.

Is there something really bad or wrong with completely removing the battery? Especially for winter, when the fifth wheel is "put to bed", the battery is stored in the garage. 10 years of doing this with the 19 ft. TT and only had to get one new battery.

I wouldn't spend hundreds of $ on a switch when I can simply unscrew the box and remove the battery unless there's something I'm totally missing.

JRTJH
10-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Chip,

Removing the battery for storage is not a "bad idea" In fact, it's a good idea, especially if you are going to have the RV in extended storage and don't have any way to keep the battery charged if it is stored in the RV. Maintaining the battery requires that it be kept in a "charged state" to preserve its function. Additionally, a discharged battery is subject to damage from freezing in a cold climate and will often (almost always) require a new battery in the spring. Storing your battery at home where you can maintain it through the storage time is convenient and makes keeping it in top shape easier.

So, it's a GOOD IDEA to remove the battery from the RV if you're going to put it in long term storage especially in an area where you can't maintain the battery charge state easily. Plus, if the RV is not stored where it is readily secure, batteries have a propensity to "walk away" when not being watched. Of course, that also goes for the propane tanks, hitch and most other items that can be easily taken off the RV. Depending on where you're going to store it for the winter, securing your RV may include removing most "loose objects" from the outside.

The purpose of a battery cutoff switch is to make disconnecting the battery easier and more convenient. How much an owner is "willing to pay" for that convenience is a personal decision, but you're right, paying hundreds of dollars does seem to be "over the top" when the components cost much less than that. I suppose it's up to the owner to determine how much value there is in having the convenience of a cutoff switch.

Chip999
10-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks. I just made the assumption that the practice would be the same, though my old 04 Trail Cruiser didn't have the fancy control panel that this one has. I will be putting the Xlite to bed here in the next few weeks, not to wake up until the spring.

I really didn't mean to offend anyone spending $ on their option, and apologize to anyone who may have taken it that way. Upon second reading, it does come across as judgemental.