PDA

View Full Version : Battery Problem

albertr
04-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I have a battery problem that maybe someone can help me with. Not sure I can explain :confused:it properly but here's what happens. I use 2 interstate 6 volt deep cycle batteries. Problem is that battery acid forms liguid on top of the batteries and has even done some damage to the metal battery cage.
They are now on trickle charge at home and the top is coated with acid. Batteries were completely dry on top when I put them on charge. This also happens when the 5th wheel is parked with ground disconnected. Thanks for your help.... Al

chuck&gail
04-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Just guessing, but you do know NEVER to add water to a discharged battery (unless to just cover plates), right? Not even partially discharged. You only top off fully charged batteries.

If water is added to a discharged battery, it causes what you are seeing.

Other possibility is your converter is overcharging your batteries.

Finally I suppose a bad cell in each battery could cause that, but it seems unlikely.

rjsurfer
04-22-2012, 03:18 AM
My guess is your charger is not working properly, it's definitely not staying at a low current/voltage level.

35mastr
04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
I had the same issie with my RV in the past with this. Its the gas that is produced when plugged in.The batterys are charging that makes that film on top. The gas seeps out of the covers and stays on top. I would wash mine every season to keep it controlled.