PDA

View Full Version : Quadra Steps

mike9661
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
My DW fractured her Femur and will have a difficult time getting up the 3 steps on my 318SAB. I was wondering if anyone has installed Quadra Steps my steps looks like they have 2 bolts on each side and looks like they would be a little hard to get to.
Thanks, Mike

Jim W
04-21-2012, 05:19 AM
I built a wooden platform that has anti-skid 3M material placed on outdoor plywood. The frame is made up of 2X4 Douglas Fir with reinforced corners and 3/4" plywood that is rated for outdoor use. The platform is square and is as wide as the steps are. Adjustable levelers are inside the platform so as to allow you to level the platform if this is placed on uneven ground. Small pieces of 3/4" plywood is used under the levelers to spread load out if needed. The entire platform was then sealed in Thompson Water Sealer product.
We use this for the grandkids to get into the trailer, since they were only three and five when we started taking them camping with us. Small legs could not reach the first step on the 318SAB 5er. The other thing about the platform was that this has made a nice storage box, turn upside down for item that could roll around in the basement.
This might be enough to help her get into the camper without replacing the steps.
Jim W.

dspriggs
04-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Jim W -- Do you have a photo of what you built?

Jim W
04-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Jim W -- Do you have a photo of what you built?

No, I do not have picture of the wooden step. If you need to see what it looks like I can make a sketch of one.
Jim W.

dspriggs
04-25-2012, 05:29 AM
I was just wondering. I built a wooden step for my Cougar, but it is too heavy for my liking and I am just looking for ideas to build another one that is lighter, but still sturdy enough to be steady when stepped on.

Jim W
04-25-2012, 05:37 AM
You could make the step out of 1X4 white Oak that is not surface finished on 2 sides; a hardwood store would have this material on hand. Then corner brace the inside of the frame with additional 2X2 pieces of wood. I would still use 3/4 marine grade plywood covered with 3M step material on top.
This would lighten up the step and the strength should not be affected.
Jim W.