PDA

View Full Version : Installed Reese Class V W/D with Reese Dual cam Sway

Vidorcom
04-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Thank you to Glenn's Welding, Lynnwood Wa. www.gweld.com for properly setting up my hitch and Dual cam sway. The dealer installed the ball height and weight distribution wrong. (That was my bad purchasing a trailer at the end of the day on a Friday.) I towed from California without the Dual Cam Sway, and my TV towed fine. I did get sway from the wind storm and big rigs but was nothing to stress about.

I towed this past weekend with the new setup and is worth every penny. Below are pictures of the setup.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_34309_0_4c309312662811ea275fc4f763fd513d.jpg
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_34309_1_e01a759da4da4f13208477a3eff6ff45.jpg

Bob Landry
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
A couple of comments on your hitch installation..

You have the trunnion style spring bars. Those should actually point down a little while the round bars are adjusted to be parallel to the ground/trailer tongue,Yours are almost parallel to the tongue. it's also set up with the cam-up hook on the 4th link from the U-bolt. Reese specifies in their installation instructions that you have a minimum of 5 links so as to not interfere with the trailer tongue during turns. The bend in the spring bars indicates that there is too much tension on the bars. The bars should be reset at 5 links and then the hitch head tilted to get the right amount of weight transfered back to the front axle. That amount is what your truck manual will say is the correct front end height. you can measure that at the fenderwell openings. On some trucks, it's the unhitched height, or it may be something different, but the spec is in your TV owners manual.

Also, the plates that have the U-bolts and chains attached need to be reversed so that the top of the plate bends in toward the trailer tongue.

Finally, all of this needs to be done with the trailer loaded as it is going to be towed because as you add weight on the tongue, the amount of weight transfered to the front axle is going to change. After you have the WD adjusted correctly, you'll likely have to go back and readjust the Dual Cam, but that's easy enough to do, as the instructions are pretty straight forward.

Vidorcom
04-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Thank you for reviewing. I think im following you. Do you have the same set up? Pictures? I thought there was to much tension it makes popping noises unless im going straight. I noticed when backing up into the campsite I almost rolled the bar off cam from the turning radius which was not that much. I did not get the instructions so Im blind on adjusting. Ill go back to the shop that installed.

Bob Landry
04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Thank you for reviewing. I think im following you. Do you have the same set up? Pictures? I thought there was to much tension it makes popping noises unless im going straight. I noticed when backing up into the campsite I almost rolled the bar off cam from the turning radius which was not that much. I did not get the instructions so Im blind on adjusting. Ill go back to the shop that installed.

My setup is the same as your's except I have the round bar setup. The only difference would be the round bars should ride parallel to the trailer tongue. The popping noise is normal. That's the cam riding in and out of the detent on the bar when you make a turn. Mine does that everytime I turn a corner. If you came close to rolling the bar off od the cam, then that's an indication of interference with the tongue, caused by too much pressure on the bar through the chains. it's very important that the trunnion bars point downward. I also forgot to mention that if you can't get enough weight transfered back to the front axle, by tilting the hitch head, then stiffer bars are in order. Don't let them tell you that you just need to take up a link on the chain, or you will be back to square one. BTW, what truck are you driving. Chances are likely someone here drives the same truck and can look up the hitched front end height in the event you can't find it.

If you go to e-trailer.com and find your hitch, there will be a link to the setup instructions for your specific hitch.

Vidorcom
04-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Thank you again. I have a 2008 Chevy Duramax CCSB 2500 with a 6 inch RCD lift, 35x 20 toyo mud tires. I have airbags in the rear as well pumped to 70 lbs with trailer.

Vidorcom
04-16-2012, 02:13 PM
How does this look?

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_34350_0_09e5fa795a5a3b55c68bb522c219b144.jpg
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_34350_1_7bd02a2b3add8a0b5a4f9049400db8f3.jpg

SAD
04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
How does this look?

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_34351_0_09e5fa795a5a3b55c68bb522c219b144.jpg
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_34351_1_7bd02a2b3add8a0b5a4f9049400db8f3.jpg

It looks like you need to replace that coke can with a beer can :-)

But the angle does look better!

Bob Landry
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
That's how it should look when hitched. if you are going to take it back to the shop that adjusted it, you probably would do well to print out the installation instructions and take them with you.

Diesel Dude
04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Good post
Seeing this post makes me realize I need to spend a little more time with my dual cam and set it up 100% correct.

Bob Landry
04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Good post
Seeing this post makes me realize I need to spend a little more time with my dual cam and set it up 100% correct.

Setting up theDual Cam is the easy part. Doing the WD canget tedious, because you have to make an adjustment and then go back and measure and keep doing it until the front end of the truck is returned to the proper height. Then all you have to do to adjust the DC is drive the truck in a straight line for 100', center the cams in the detent and tighten the lock nuts. and recheck..

Vidorcom
04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Thank you for your help.