PDA

View Full Version : Modifying water heater drain

mapleman3
04-11-2012, 04:55 AM
On my 2600tb summerland tt the water heater drain is just a plastic plug. Has anyone extended that with a valve also for easy draining?
Pictures?

Also I haven't found a bypass unless I have to pull the rear compartment under the bed apart...when I fill or drain it also fills the water heater.
Ideas?

Jim and Charlene

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

The Sod Father
04-25-2012, 08:17 AM
This is an easy mod. Sorry, no pics but I can describe it to you. You need 3 parts that you can buy from Home Despot or Lowes. Or, preferably, your local hardware store.

Remove the plastic plug and install a nipple of the same thread size. The nipple will then connect to a short section of flexible water supply line. This is the stuff used in homes and usually connects your water shut off valve to your toilet, faucet, etc.

So now, coming out of your tank is the nipple, connected to a supply line. From there, install a shut off valve and Bob's your uncle! Easy mod and works great.

SteveC7010
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Also I haven't found a bypass unless I have to pull the rear compartment under the bed apart...when I fill or drain it also fills the water heater.
Ideas?

The winterizing bypass is almost always on the back side of the water. You will have to find access to it to check to see if your rig has one. There are several other threads from the past year that describe the bypasses in great detail.

Extending the WH drain is pretty common and is a straight forward job. Plumbing parts from local home improvement centers are fine.

Just keep in mind that the WH is pressurized and whatever hose you use to extend your drain should be able to handle the normal pressures of an RV fresh water system. 40-50 psi is the norm, but most everything in the plumbing system is capable of higher pressures just in case.

Englishman
04-25-2012, 11:16 AM
You can find pictures of the mod here.
http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/12/11/rv-water-heater-drain-valve

BigSur
04-25-2012, 05:04 PM
That's such a great idea. I'll probably make that mod REAL soon.