PDA

View Full Version : Roof Vent Cover-Does Size Matter?

chipjohns
04-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

I picked up a roof vent cover, (actually from the dealer the day I got the TT.)

I began to install it today. I cranked open the vent a little over a third of the way open for better acess. When I got up to the vent and placed the cover on it the vent was opened to high to allow the cover to be installed.

I wanted to check before I did the install. Is it usuall for the vent to only open a third of the way once a cover is installed?

Thanks for any help.

webslave
04-08-2012, 12:04 PM
That seems a little extreme to me... It isn't unusual for the vent to not open fully; it is the nature of the beast. You give up vent capacity to get all-weather usability.

I don't know what unit you picked up; I've always used MaxxAir II covers, they seemed to allow for a little bit more air, but, they still restricted the vent cover to about 50-65% open. I've just ordered one of the new Fan-Tastic Ultrabreeze vent covers...it supposedly allows 95%-100% of the vent's capability, but, it probably sticks up much higher to achieve that type of air flow. Since I already have the second A/C unit sticking up high, I figured I didn't really have to worry about a taller vent cover...

jbsmith
04-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Is it usuall for the vent to only open a third of the way once a cover is installed?

It helps to have someone inside to open/close the vent as you install. You can slide the cover forward of center just a bit to give a little more angle. The MaxxAir covers on our trailer allow the vents to open about 75-80%.

chipjohns
04-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks Don & JB.

I'll take a look at the MaxxAir. It sounds like mine is just too short..It's called "Ramble." I do remember the guy at the dealer saying they were out of MaxxAir, but this one was just as good... Probably is, just not as high..

I think I'm going to return it and get the MaxxAir.

Thanks for the quick turnaround on my question! Not only am I informed but I can pass it on to my DW and she will leave me alone too.... :)

Thanks again.