PDA

View Full Version : Got New Tow Vehicle

muddynoll
04-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I just traded my 2000 Ram 1500 and upgraded to a Ford F350 powerstroke to tow our Passport 2910BH. I weighed in on our last trip of last season and found that while the camper is 400 lbs under its max we were 1350 over GCWR.Thanks to all of you on the forum for showing us what we need to know to stay safe while towing. It will be alot safer for my family this year and best of all.....I got a new truck!:bdance: I won't be overloading this one.

2011 keystone
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Hey congrats on the new truck:thumbsup:
There is nothing like pulling with a diesel. I'M SURE YOU WILL LOVE IT.

CampJKL
04-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Wait you went from a Dodge gasser to a Ford diesel? Sacrilege!!! What happened to the Dodge 3500 option?
Just ribbing ya... Congrats... It's a diesel!

JoeofNSB
04-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Congrats on the new tow vehicle. I'm sure you'll like it. I like my F550 with the 7.3 diesel.

X-Treme
04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Congrats on the new tow vehicle. I'm sure you'll like it. I like my F550 with the 7.3 diesel.

That's cause you have the last of the good Ford diesel engines. ;)

Diesel Dude
04-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Very nice. You probably have no idea what you have just done to your self. Diesel power is sooooo addicting. Just ask me I have made a business out of it. Lol
Here is one of my newest tow rigs.

http://www.mkmcustoms.com/images/gallery/dually.jpg

muddynoll
04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Wait you went from a Dodge gasser to a Ford diesel? Sacrilege!!! What happened to the Dodge 3500 option?
Just ribbing ya... Congrats... It's a diesel!

Lol. I found a 2004 Ford F350 Powerstroke, Loaded, Moon roof, Premium stereo and all with 20,000 original miles. This thing is like brand new inside and out and I got it for 6 thousand below retail. I could'nt pass it up. I did love my Dodge though.

2011 keystone
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
:rofl: diesel dude I need a much larger screen to see all that trrrrrruck:rofl:

Str8shooter
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
That's cause you have the last of the good Ford diesel engines. ;)

There are lot's of great diesel engines out there - Ford, Chevy & Dodge, yet, the 2004 Super Duty diesel is hardly the last of the good Ford diesel engines. Application is everything - the primary purpose the truck will be used.

I'd say it right here if my 2011 F250 6.7L diesel Super Duty was a dud but its not even close. It is one fine, powerful pulling machine at 400 hp and 800 lbs of torque. Ford spent considerable R&D dollars developing their "own" diesel engine and it has paid off nicely. If you check out the Ford Truck Enthusiasts web site in the 2011 6.7L Diesel Engine forum you will see why.

Muddynoll, you bought one nice truck there with no need for looking back. Both Dodge and Chevy make some great trucks but what a great buy. Congratulations!

Have fun and gives us an update, down the road as it were.

Hansel
04-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Congrats on the diesel truck, but I would like to give you a heads up on the 6.0L. They have had HUGE issue with the EGR system, blown head gasket's and melted motors, just go to YouTude and there are tons of video's of people having all kinds of problems with the newer Powerstrokes, the 6.4L wasn't much better, it has poor fuel mileage and is know to burn exhaust valves, then they moved on to the 6.7L where they are having a problem with melting parts also. Ford has ruined the Powerstroke name IMHO the last of the great Powerstrokes are the 7.3L from International, granted the new trucks look awesome but there is no way in heck that I'd buy one unless I could put a 7.3L in it.

If you want some info on Powerstroke trucks do a search for Powerstroke Help his name is Bill Hewett, he's right here in Buford Georgia.

CampJKL
04-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Lol. I found a 2004 Ford F350 Powerstroke, Loaded, Moon roof, Premium stereo and all with 20,000 original miles. This thing is like brand new inside and out and I got it for 6 thousand below retail. I could'nt pass it up. I did love my Dodge though.

Now that IS hard to pass up!!! I just got lucky and found what you found... In a Dodge :-) enjoy it!

Str8shooter
04-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Just two things. 1.) Nothing melting on mine yet - LOL, and 2.) You can believe everything you read on the internet, again LOL.

Just saying. . .

SAD
04-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Just two things. 1.) Nothing melting on mine yet - LOL, and 2.) You can believe everything you read on the internet, again LOL.

Just saying. . .

Awesome! I'm Gina be rich!! :bdance:

cmssorrell
04-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Nothing melted on mine either.

Mark

Dwighop
04-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Mines still burn free. An awesome engine and truck.

Hansel
04-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Glad too hear none of you have had a problem with your 6.4 or 6.7's, I would not be interested in owning one at this point. But I've seen a read to many horror stories, but like someone said you can't believe everything.

If your happy that's what counts;)

Hunter757
04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
No issues here! But I would say I run mine stock with no upgrades or aftermarket plug in's, I think this is where people were having issues? I will say my father in-laws 7.4 is sweet, but I do love my 6.4

Happy Camping:wave:

jsmith948
04-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Can anyone tell me how to keep my truck from accelerating way beyond the speed limit while climbing 7% grades with the cruise control on?:rofl:;)

RCrawler
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
There are known problems with the 6.0, the 6.4 and the 6.7. I've seen enough of them first hand. The 6.0 probably being the worst of the Fords. Ford is just as much to blame as Navistar for the Powerstroke "divorce. Ford pushed the 6 liter into production before ample testing had been done and it cost them both. The 6.4 was just a gap filler until Ford was done with R&D on the Scorpion.

The 6.4's issues are pretty minor, mostly the same things that are plaguing GM and Chrysler with their emissions engines. I have to say that the 6.4 is an animal when it comes to aftermarket support and how much power can be made with a tuner and exhaust on an otherwise stock engine.

I've heard as much good from the PSD 6.7 crowd as I've heard bad. The latest being transmission control issues and fuel system failure blamed on contamination (DEF in the fuel system). When I bought my truck, I drove a new 6.7. I wasn't impressed enough to get back into a Ford after their previous diesel offerings.

No matter what engine or truck brand you follow, they all have their pros and cons. Whether it's on FTE, Oil Burners or Cummins Forum, you will find lots of happy owners and plenty of disgruntled owners complaining about their trucks.

Jason

RCrawler
04-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Can anyone tell me how to keep my truck from accelerating way beyond the speed limit while climbing 7% grades with the cruise control on?:rofl:;)

Unhook the Cummins powered tow truck your broken Ford is attached to? :rofl:
Sorry, I couldn't resist

Jason

CampJKL
04-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist

Jason

Heeee... Good one! All in brotherly love!

jsmith948
04-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Sorry, I couldn't resist

Jason

Now you sound like my brother but it's hard to hear your post wih all the noise that Cummins is making!"bouncey:

On a serious note, I drove Cummings powered trucks for years. Back then we argued about Cummins vs Cat

RCrawler
04-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Now you sound like my brother but it's hard to hear your post wih all the noise that Cummins is making!"bouncey:

On a serious note, I drove Cummings powered trucks for years. Back then we argued about Cummins vs Cat

I love that diesel clatter, these new trucks are too quiet for me. Miss the sound of the 24V 5.9's.

I'd take a Cat or a Cummins. Anything but a Detroit...

Jason