PDA

View Full Version : Love your Skylight in the shower?

Tim&Patty
04-01-2012, 05:23 AM
For those of you that love the shower skylight as much as we do :(, I just completed a simple fix. While looking for the antenna cable (no I didn't find it) I covered the top of the skylight with insulating held in place with duct tape. I had tried to velcro a window cover to the inside but the tape would never stick (might be RHDW's 220 degree showers). Between the heat and summers sun (wakes up the Camping Director at 0500) streaming in and tacky job of aluminum foil held up by blue painters tape (sometime ya got to do, what ya got to do) problem solved. Even tho the High County 291RLS bathroom is'nt walled off we had similar issues with our 2010 XLite 26SAB with the heat.

Happy & Cool Camping:bdance:

SAD
04-01-2012, 06:18 AM
I understand the desire to reduce light for the mornings, but I think the problem you might run into by having that refectix type material on the top side of the inner "window" is severe heat build up between the layers. Much more so than with out. Making the plastic very brittle.

We experienced a similar thing buy placing those insulating "pillows" in our vents. They also have some foil lined side. Great for darkening and helping insulate but ultimately causi g the plastic to warp and get brittle. Even caused the fart fan to disentigrate. Flipped the switch to turn it on and it flew all over the bathroom in a million pieces. Had a good laugh over that one.

To keep using the pillows and solve the problem, I installed the maxaire covers and open the inside vent. Heat no longer trapped.

Tim&Patty
04-01-2012, 06:56 AM
SAD,
Thought about that, we have MaxAire vent covers and pillow inserts at all locations but the "Bubble Dome". I have done anything that can't be undone, not sure about the pillows in a very damp environment (once a day anyway). I'm going to leave it for our first outting and think about it some more, maybe a vent in the dome like the stink pipe?

Thanks for your thoughts.

grayghost03
04-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I have been thinking about having DW sew a vinyl cover, something like a AC cover for the outside dome (she's handy at that sort of thing)

CampDestinations.com
04-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I've been considering spraying on some of that dark tint that some people like to put on the tail lights. I heard of someone else over on the RV.net forums spray painting the skylight dome with regular white Krylon spray paint and having good results.

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-Shades-Cover-Black-Coating/dp/B00290CBGA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

2011 keystone
04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Even caused the fart fan to disentigrate:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Never heard it called that before:rofl:

SAD
04-02-2012, 06:29 PM
I've been considering spraying on some of that dark tint that some people like to put on the tail lights. I heard of someone else over on the RV.net forums spray painting the skylight dome with regular white Krylon spray paint and having good results.

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-Shades-Cover-Black-Coating/dp/B00290CBGA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

I was kinda thinking along these lines. Would keep the heat/light from entering the air gap.

Tim&Patty
04-05-2012, 06:12 AM
OK, re-thought my mod (thanks SAD), painted the bubble black (match rest of my vent covers) and filled the space insulation (leftover from the stick house) and painted the inside portion that I have placed the foil white.

SAD
04-05-2012, 09:15 AM
OK, re-thought my mod (thanks SAD), painted the bubble black (match rest of my vent covers) and filled the space insulation (leftover from the stick house) and painted the inside portion that I have placed the foil white.

That sounds like a great way to accomplish it!

TNT Miller
06-05-2012, 03:56 PM
What are pillow inserts?

SAD
06-05-2012, 03:59 PM
What are pillow inserts?

http://www.rvplus.com/images/detailed/105/67304.gif

Can buy from camping world and other vendors.

mguay
06-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Here was my thought as I wanted it removable.
Screw some of the small clear mirror clips to three sides of the interior trim.
Paint a piece of plexiglass to fit inside the mirror clips.
Cut a short piece of fuel line ans stuff it between trim and plexiglass on side with no clips.
Slide in,Slide out, hold with wedge

Terrydactile
06-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Vent pillow

http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=vent+pillows&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

Johnnyfry
06-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I cut a piece of laminated aluminized foil to cover the opening and held it up with 4 suction cups with hooks placed in the corners. Works like a charm --- and easily removable.

John

muddynoll
06-06-2012, 03:09 AM
I used GILA mirrored UV resistant window tint on mine.Cuts heat and glare down and keeps UV damage to the inside to a minimum. Got it at Home Depot.Workes well on my house too.

pkemmerlin
06-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used this on the skylight in the bathroom?
RV Skylight Shade from Carefree

mguay
06-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Just found one on ebay...$70

:eek:

SAD
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM

I honestly can't imagine that doing much. No insulating factor to it, and since it only attaches (seemingly) at either end, it's not a tight fit - I.e. minimal darkening.