PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic or Electric Slides?

sandy43
03-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Which do you prefer and why?

f6bits
03-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Electric. I don’t know how to do the Hydraulic Slide dance. :bdance:

Johnnyfry
03-31-2012, 09:34 PM
I originally favored hydraulic because I had experience with hydraulic systems and figured they would be more reliable.

Fact is, I got issued Lippert rack and pinion electric on my Cougar and they have been fine. Thinking about it I now feel that electric is more reliable because each slider system is self contained and not dependent upon a central motor/pump system with a distribution valve and multiple hoses.

The drive motor is essentially the same as the landing gear motor.

I have had zero problems with the electric drive system. Simple is usually better.

John

webslave
04-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Thinking about it I now feel that electric is more reliable because each slider system is self contained and not dependent upon a central motor/pump system with a distribution valve and multiple hoses.

John

X2

If one slide quits, for any reason, the others remain operable. Doesn't make a difference which one of the three is "broken", the others still operate normally and the trailer, essentially remains usable until it can be fixed.

I've never had a problem with any electric slide I've owned; I've never owned a hydraulic, but, I've worked with other hydraulic systems (I have a farm tractor with a front loader and a back hoe) and I know from experience about leaks, bad pump seals, blown hoses, bad cylinders, etc. Electric has always been my first choice and actually was a "deal breaker" one time when we were shopping for trailers some years ago.

Many folks own hydraulic units and they, AFAIK, are just as trouble-free as electric nowadays, but, I stay with what I feel is good for me.

grayghost03
04-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I perfer the cable operation system, simple, very easy to adjust ( haven't had to) and very cheap replacement parts and it is a extremely light weight system.

allentx1
04-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I have had both tyhpes, currently have hydraulic in the avalanche. I think both systems are fine but with our 4 slides I like the hydraulic. It's faster and quieter. I wouldn't really have an opinion with only one or two slides.

SmittysRV
04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I have hydraulic in the main galley for the kitchen and couch slides. The bedroom wardrobe slide is electric. The hydraulic is sure faster.