PDA

View Full Version : Loosing Rear Wheels

MikeD
03-26-2012, 06:53 AM
I have a tripple axle Raptor 3712 and for the past year I have lost 3 wheels on the rear axle. The lugs are sheared off and I don't even know when it happens. I have had the axle placement checked and it's ok. Has anyone else had this problem or have a solution?

chuck&gail
03-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Well I would suspect the place that puts your wheels/tires ON, has never seen a torque wrench, or has no idea how to properly use one. Impact wrenches cause that type of failure when used incorrectly. That is the most likely IMHO

Alpinecummin
03-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I lost a wheel several years ago after the shop repacked my bearings. I saw the wheel fly off the camper in my side mirror. I stopped and waited for the wheel to catch up with me and hit the back of the camper. Three lug studs sheered off. I checked the other three wheels and found lugs loose on all of them. After that experience I torque my wheels everytime I move the camper. There have been a couple times I have found one or two lugs loose. No problems since! If you have aluminum wheels you should check your lugs frequently. The expension from heat when running highway speed and the cooling when parked allows the lugs to loosen.

CincyGus
03-27-2012, 04:55 AM
Yep, Breaker bar or torque wrench should travel with you. Make it part of every pre-trip in the days proceeding leaving with the camper. Takes 5 minutes to run around and check the lugs on 4 tires prior to leaving for a trip and gives you piece of mind for safety. Also makes you look at the tires for any signs of wear or damage that you might miss otherwise.

gilnutz
03-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Also make sure there is no anitseeze on the studs or nuts.

laidback
03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Also with the tri axle it could be from dragging them on sharp turns. Drove semi's for 38 years there is alot of pressure when they they have the side drag in sharp turns.

mhs4771
03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Have you ever had the Rig weighed, especially each axle to see if possibly there is excess weight on that rear axle? Just something to think about.

JoeofNSB
03-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I will agree with laidback, could be a turning issue which puts lots of lateral torque on axle and wheels, especially if the back axle has more weight on it. I also drive tractor-trailer and have watched the tandems slide sideways when making a sharp u-turn. I try to avoid it whenever possible, but can't always do it!! Just my thoughts.