PDA

View Full Version : Help with Couger 326MKS

mike9955
12-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Hello!
We are considering purchasing a Keystone Cougar 326MKS fifth wheel for camping at National Parks and for limited travel as well. This is my first post:D, and we know next to nothing about 5th wheels :eek: but own a pop-up, and have tent camped for a long time.

Would appreciate help, as well as advice/info on this model to purchase. We were hoping to buy in the Spring. We also need to purchase a truck to pull it with and wanted any helpful pointers in that direction as well.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

hankpage
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Mike , The 326MKS has a really nice floor-plan but at 36'+ may be a little tight at some parks. Phone ahead and see if there are any size restrictions. As for a tow vehicle, I would suggest a one ton single rear wheel minimum. A 3/4 HD should handle the 1500lb.+ pin weight but the price difference is minimal and you may want the extra payload for passengers and supplies. .... Hope this helps, Hank ...... Oh.. welcome to the forum.

Festus2
12-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello and welcome to the Keystone Forum. I would agree with Hank's recommendation to consider a 1ton to pull something of that size. The size and floorplan are something that you alone will have to evaluate and get something that fits your taste and needs.
Floorplans are very personal and layouts that one couple like are disliked by another.
For two people, the unit you are considering is quite ample but as was pointed out, it may be a bit on the big side in some campgrounds you might want to stay in.
Keep us posted on what you end up purchasing.

Bigk
12-03-2009, 08:17 PM
I think the pin weight of 1565lb for that unit is incorrect. Base on the dry weight given on keystone's web-site, the pin weight should be closer to 2000lb if not more base on the actual GVWR which is not shown. In any case, a 1ton truck as mention earlier would probably be a safer way to go.

hankpage
12-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I think the pin weight of 1565lb for that unit is incorrect. Base on the dry weight given on keystone's web-site, the pin weight should be closer to 2000lb if not more base on the actual GVWR which is not shown. In any case, a 1ton truck as mention earlier would probably be a safer way to go.

I thought that at first but than noticed tires were upgraded to 16" E ratings. My thinking is they put heavier axles in and moved them forward some to take the weight off the pin. (I realize that is giving a lot of credit to Keystone engineers, but they do get things right once in a while. :rolleyes: ) If you carry as much junk .... I mean good stuff ..... as I do .... go for a one ton TV. On the other hand it could be a typo. :confused: ....After looking at photos of that model I have to agree with Bigk. There is a lot of trailer in front of the axles with double basement storage. Boy, could I load up that pin weight.

mike9955
12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi ALL:

Thanks for the quick responses, good advice and support.

I hope your Holiday’s are blessed, and
The New Year gives you all you want!:D

Mike

chuckretnav
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Mike, I just bought a 327. I also bought a chevy 3500HD lt crew cab with long bed. try to get the 326 and the 327 side by side. get a feel for both. Have you ever pulled a big trailer. Im a retired truck driver and Im fine with the size might be a few places ill have trouble with but Ill just get out the chain saw and move that tree LOL so Ill find out if RV camp spots are worse than some of the customers ive put a 53 ft trailer in. good luck and enjoy. but get what your comfortable with.

toml-nm
08-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Festus2
I see from your post you have a 27RKS, how do you like it?? Some controversity over
the rear kitchens, what is your experience?? I have one on order so now is a fine time to be checking this out.... wife wanted the additional counter top space
toml-nm

Festus2
08-16-2010, 09:41 PM
We looked at both the rear and center kitchen floor plans and decided on the rear kitchen after looking at the lack of counter space on the center kitchen plan. The additional counter space for meal preparation is a real benefit. The downside is that because of the the increased movement and bumping at the rear of the unit when travelling, there is an increased possibility of dish breakage. We experienced this only once after one upper kitchen cabinet door came open and we lost a few dishes. After that, we now place a cushion in that one cupboard where there are breakable dishes. Havent had any problems since. Using Scoot-Guard or other similar material on the shelves also helps prevent movement.
If you have the rear kitchen on order --- your wife will love it. And you will benefit because of all the fine meals that she (with your help) will be able to prepare.
Floor plans and RV layout are very personal and subject to varying likes and dislikes. We happen to like the rear kitchen.

hankpage
08-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Festus2
I see from your post you have a 27RKS, how do you like it?? Some controversity over
the rear kitchens, what is your experience?? I have one on order so now is a fine time to be checking this out.... wife wanted the additional counter top space
toml-nm

Here's another thumbs up for the RKs. Our's is a little longer but the kitchen is the same. We especially like the access to the kitchen while on the road with the slide in. The DW even lets me cook sometimes. :rolleyes: Enjoy your new RK ... and I hope the floor-plan fits you as well as it does us, Hank

W5WI
11-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Hello,

I just purchased the 2011 Cougar 326MKS. I traded in my 2007 311RLS. The 311 was 34 ft. long and the 326 is 36 ft. long.

The 326 actually pulls the same as the 311. If you check the curb weights you will see that the 326 is not much heaver than the 311. My 2004 Chevy 2500HD PU with Duramax engine pulls it with ease. Keystone advertises the 326 as a 3/4 ton truck size trailer.

If buying new, I may consider a 1 ton truck. But, the 3/4 ton does just fine pulling the 326.

NWlambear
11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
We also have one of the smaller Cougars and would recommend it for those who want to easily utilize smaller sites. We prefer State Parks,etc. vs commercial RV Parks. We have a back kitchen and really love it....more counter space and haven't any problems with dishes breaking, etc. There are lots of tips online how to pack/store stuff for it to be safe on the road.

Hank & Lynn
2007 Cougar 290RKS, E-Z Flex, 16" XPS RIBs
I was looking at your photos and wondered what you did at the bottom step of your rig? On our rig, we had to reconfigure the size of the steps because that first one was too high for me to safely use.

hankpage
11-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Hank & Lynn
2007 Cougar 290RKS, E-Z Flex, 16" XPS RIBs
I was looking at your photos and wondered what you did at the bottom step of your rig? On our rig, we had to reconfigure the size of the steps because that first one was too high for me to safely use.

:confused: I'm not sure what step you are talking about. I have not modified any steps, inside or out. I did remove the bottom bedroom step to modify the heating duct but reinstalled the step in stock position and height. But I swear at times those steps do seem to be getting higher or my legs are getting shorter. ..... Hank

CWtheMan
11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I’m sure the pin weight will creep up pretty fast on that 326 when you start loading up the bedroom storage places and fill up that basement with goodies. I suspect it will exceed 2200# so you might want to keep that figure in mind when doing the math on tow vehicles.

We have seldom had a problem finding places to park our 38 footer (37’ 10” actual measurement) and don’t even worry about it any more.

CW

p.s. Called an RV park in Destin, FL one time to inquire about a beach front site. When asked about our length I told them 38‘. A short time after an employee went out to measure a site for us we were told to come on in they had one for us. I had a good sized audience watching me park in that 38’ site with a 37’10” trailer.

Lesson learned: Never underestimate the length of your rig or trailer.