PDA

View Full Version : New Cougar 282 RES 5th Wheel

msilvers
03-25-2012, 06:31 PM
We have just purchased our first RV March 21, 2012 and from the start have been beset with furnace issues. The furnace will light but the RV is soon engulfed in a rotten egg small with the CO2 alarm beeping soon after. This has been repeated half a dozen times over the past two days. The RV is at the house and we have been just familarizing ourselves with it. I'm glad we are not on the road. Any ideas? We are 300 miles from the dealer who insured us everything was in perfect working order. We bought this from Camping World in Boise Idaho.

Ron
03-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Welcome and congrats on the new Cougar. The smell you are getting is probably the oil residue on the heat exchanger burning off and usually takes a few hours of use to eliminate the smell. We also just bought our new Montana at Camping World there in Meridian and headed south and just got home and still today I can smell a little bit of an oil smell is what I think it smells like so don't worry it will eventually disappear. Hope this helps. Happy Campin...........Ron

antiqfreq
03-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Welcome MSilvers to the forum
and congrats on your new camper.

I hope you visit the often often as we have lots of members with lots of info
and they are more than willing to help out if possible.

Jo
:wave:

jsmith948
03-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Welcome! I agree with Ron about the smell.
We have the same model Cougar and our furnace gave off an oily, sort of like hot grease smell for the first half hour or hour of operation.
The odor was really strong at the dealer when we did our walk through
I think the manual even references this odor
Good luck with your new 5er - we sure love ours!

msilvers
03-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the info and that is what we were hoping the issue was but after 2 hours of working with a service tech by phone and running the furnace we still have the rotten egg smell. So we're at either having them send a service tech to Cottonwood Idaho or towing the trailer back to Boise.

jsmith948
03-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck at the dealer.