PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to heat water

Retired_Jim
03-20-2012, 04:21 AM
I understand that using the gas setting on my 6 gal. heater will heat water faster than the elec setting. Just curious. Is it possible to use both sources at the same time to increase the recovery time?

SAD
03-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Yup! That's what it's there for.

Ron
03-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Ditto here also, do it all the time. Happy Campin............Ron

Hunter757
03-20-2012, 06:45 AM
X 3 use them together every time. We also changed the shower head to a low flow, this will help as well.

Happy Camping and hot showers to all :thumbsup:

f6bits
03-20-2012, 07:05 AM
I leave mine on electric so I don’t drain my propane. When it comes to shower time, I turn the gas as well for faster heat recovery/longer showers. That, and the Oxygenics shower head make showers much like ones at home.

CincyGus
03-20-2012, 07:15 AM
I leave mine on electric so I don’t drain my propane. When it comes to shower time, I turn the gas as well for faster heat recovery/longer showers. That, and the Oxygenics shower head make showers much like ones at home.

Just learned earlier today this was possible over at RV.net. We usually space our showers out (wife in the morning, daughter in the afternoon, evening for me) but for those occassions we all need to get one timed closer together, nice to know we can double up the heat sources and shorten recovery time of the WH.

Thanks for sharing!

charltons
03-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Good news for me as I always thought it was one or the other. Will be much nicer to have the Hot water back faster.

campingcpl
03-20-2012, 10:05 AM
We will leave ours on electric till the time we get ready to shower and then will turn on the gas with the electric to help. Usually doing the dishes or washing your hands wont require using the gas with the electric.

christopherglenn
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
With both gas and electric on the recovery time is close to 15 minutes. The warmer the incoming water (think florida in summer) the faster the recovery. 2 years ago we were at Ft. Wilderness in FL, and the incoming water was so warm the heater could keep up full time. With snow on the ground pumping from the onboard tank you drain the WH FAST!!

Hunter757
03-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I just wanted to let the newer campers know that it is very important to make sure that your water heater is full of water prior to turning on your electric switch. If you turn that switch on with no water your electrical element will break and need to be replaced.

When you start to pack up the trailer to go home make sure part of your check list includes turning off the electrical switch prior to turning off your water supply or water pump. Even guys that have been doing this for years have made this mistake, so make a set up and take down list to help you stay safe and enjoy, spring is here :bdance:

Ron
03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
I just wanted to let the newer campers know that it is very important to make sure that your water heater is full of water prior to turning on your electric switch. If you turn that switch on with no water your electrical element will break and need to be replaced.

When you start to pack up the trailer to go home make sure part of your check list includes turning off the electrical switch prior to turning off your water supply or water pump. Even guys that have been doing this for years have made this mistake, so make a set up and take down list to help you stay safe and enjoy, spring is here :bdance:

Hunter and all, I got one for ya, try to figure this one out. I am a Journeyman plumber and this even baffels me. We purchased a new Montana in January and at the dealearship they dewinterized it because we were heading south. After dewinterizing and about 20 miniutes later we pulled trailer to another location on lot and plugged in to 50 amp for the night. As I had thought the tech when dewinterizing flushed and filled the water heater etc. We turned on the pump and water was running out of all faucets, hot and cold, so I went out and pulled the key out of the toggle switch on the water heater, then went inside and flipped on the interior water heater switch so we wait. approx 30 mins latet told DW you should have hot water, wa la cold only. Come to find out the water heater bypass was on and the tank was dry. I put my hand on the anode and it was hot so I thought great I burned up the element so I filled the tank and turned the switch back on and a short time later I had hot water and been working fine ever since so I am baffeled why it didn't burn up a dry element. Maybe possible because it is only 120 volts, not 220 like a house water heater? Oh well life goes on and still wondering????????????????? Ron

Retired_Jim
03-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the quick replys. This is why this forum is so great. No matter how long you have been camping, there is no end to what you can learn. Just when you think you know it all, who would have thought you can actually use two heat sources at the same time. Got to run and take a long hot shower. Again, this forum rocks. :thumbsup:

chuck&gail
03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
We always turn both on when showering. Get longer showers that way.

f6bits
03-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Just to throw this out there, but you can install a tankless water heater if you want unlimited hot water: http://greenrvproducts.com/girard-tankless-rv-water-heater/

It’s pretty pricey, like in the $500-$600 range. In my case, with gas and electric, my hot water seems unlimited, probably because of our warm climate.