PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with weight ratings...

golfnate07
03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I am looking to buy the Passport 195RB which has a GVWR of 5950 LBS. My truck (2006 Dodge Dakota) is rated for 7000 LBS on one website, and 7100 LBS on a second site. (it is the V8 and 4x4). I will be purchasing anti sway, weight distributing hitch, and brake controller.

I am familiar with towing vehicles, but weight ratings and all that are not my specialty. All of you experts here please let me know if this is too close, or its enough spread if I do not travel with full tanks and I leave a lot at home? Safety is my goal (I have a popup right now and want to upgrade).

Thank you in advance! (I was reading other posts and want a calm feeling before I go any further with my purchase plans)

Nathan

Jorme
03-19-2012, 11:31 AM
From what I saw on the weight rating table of the Dodge Dakota, it has a GCWR (gross combined weight rating) meaning the weight total of the truck and trailer of 7700lbs. So if the trailer is rated at 5950, the truck maxed out could only be rated to 1750. Meaning that trailer is too heavy for the Dakota.

Here is a definition of GCWR that I pulled for you

A vehicle's GCWR is a specific weight determined by the manufacturer to be the maximum weight of a loaded tow vehicle and its attached loaded trailer. The total weight of the tow vehicle and trailer should never exceed the manufacturer's listed GCWR

golfnate07
03-19-2012, 11:49 AM
"It can now tow a full 7,000 pounds and carry a gross combined vehicle weight of 11,500 pounds when properly outfitted" can be found on this site: http://www.allpar.com/reviews/2006/dakota-dodge.html

I have no idea if this is a reliable number, or what I really should be looking at.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

Nathan

Jorme
03-19-2012, 11:55 AM
"It can now tow a full 7,000 pounds and carry a gross combined vehicle weight of 11,500 pounds when properly outfitted" can be found on this site: http://www.allpar.com/reviews/2006/dakota-dodge.html

I have no idea if this is a reliable number, or what I really should be looking at.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

Nathan

What is the GVWR of the truck? (Found on the door sticker)

golfnate07
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
I am not by my truck right now, but I will post the correct rating when I look it up.

Nathan

P.S. sorry for the previous post if you read that.

hankpage
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Nathan, I'm not sure what options your truck has but if you find your truck HERE (http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/vehicle_to_weight.jsp?dropdn=1&franchise=D&pageName=Dodge%2BTowing%2BGuide%2B-%2BBy%2BVehicle%2B6&yearHidden=6&vehicleHidden=&modelHidden=&bodyHidden=&bedHidden=&engineHidden=&year=6&familyMarket=&familyDivision=&vehicleFamily=) it will give you the exact weights from DODGE. Hope this helps, Hank

f6bits
03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
I always refer to Trailer Life’s Towing Guide:
http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2006.pdf

It also depends on your cab (standard, club, crew) and axle ratio.

golfnate07
03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Attached is an image of what dodge says the ratings are. Trailer life shows: Dakota QC 4WD 4.7L V-8 5,650a5,c (automatic, 5 speed, 3:55).

So with these two places saying 5,650, is this too close? Advice?

Nathan

Jorme
03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Attached is an image of what dodge says the ratings are. Trailer life shows: Dakota QC 4WD 4.7L V-8 5,650a5,c (automatic, 5 speed, 3:55).

So with these two places saying 5,650, is this too close? Advice?

Nathan

If your trailers GVWR is 5950, and your truck is only rated to tow 5650....Its not too close its too much....

(Not to mention that in most states if you get pulled over, you can be sited for being over weight) Ignore this, it was said by another member that is not correct.

Me personally, I wouldn't even consider it.

SAD
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
If your trailers GVWR is 5950, and your truck is only rated to tow 5650....Its not too close its too much....Not to mention that in most states if you get pulled over, you can be sited for being over weight. Me personally, I wouldn't even consider it.

This is not correct.

The "jist" of the laws are you can haul on any axle, the lesser of: a) tire weight rating stamped on the sidwall b) GAWR c) 20,000 lbs single axle or 34,000 lbs tandem. Unless you have a large 5th wheel and are towing with a single rear wheel truck, you generally cannot come close to breaking those restrictions. This is why recreational towers are basically ignored.

The tow rating (or manufacturer's GCWR) is nothing more than a rating/recommendation. Something put together to give average Joe, average performance, under average conditions, while keeping loss/warranty claims to a minimum.

Jorme
03-19-2012, 02:02 PM
This is not correct.

The "jist" of the laws are you can haul on any axle, the lesser of: a) tire weight rating stamped on the sidwall b) GAWR c) 20,000 lbs single axle or 34,000 lbs tandem. Unless you have a large 5th wheel and are towing with a single rear wheel truck, you generally cannot come close to breaking those restrictions. This is why recreational towers are basically ignored.

The tow rating (or manufacturer's GCWR) is nothing more than a rating/recommendation. Something put together to give average Joe, average performance, under average conditions, while keeping loss/warranty claims to a minimum.
I stand corrected.....:thumbsup:

SAD
03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I stand corrected.....:thumbsup:

I should also point out that I don't advocate towing big trailers with undersized trucks... I just like to clarify because legality isn't an issue... Most of the time common sense should dictate. ;)

f6bits
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Dry weight of the trailer is 3739. You’re not over your truck’s capacity unless you fully load your trailer. So I guess I’m disagreeing with Jorme.

If your trailers GVWR is 5950, and your truck is only rated to tow 5650....Its not too close its too much....

(Not to mention that in most states if you get pulled over, you can be sited for being over weight) Ignore this, it was said by another member that is not correct.

Me personally, I wouldn't even consider it.

2011 keystone
03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
As always this topic is clear as mudd:rofl:

Jorme
03-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Dry weight of the trailer is 3739. You’re not over your truck’s capacity unless you fully load your trailer. So I guess I’m disagreeing with Jorme.

The ability to max it out or overload it is there.

golfnate07
03-19-2012, 03:11 PM
While the possibility is there to overload it, how much would I really need to pack that could add up to almost 2000 lbs? I mean I know I will have full propane tanks, but we are planning on full hookup sites, so empty tanks should help a bit. I hope I am not thinking too far out there. Its such a nice camper.

Johnnyfry
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
It is true that you probably will not be cited for being overweight, HOWEVER, if you get in an accident and the adjuster runs the numbers, you insurance company may leave you holding the bag.

This would not be a happy situation. Most any engine out there can pull the trailer but stopping the load is an altogether different matter.

IMHO ( my views may not reflect management!)

John

Jorme
03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
While the possibility is there to overload it, how much would I really need to pack that could add up to almost 2000 lbs? I mean I know I will have full propane tanks, but we are planning on full hookup sites, so empty tanks should help a bit. I hope I am not thinking too far out there. Its such a nice camper.

2000lbs adds up in a hurry....If you are strictly using full hookup sites then sure, empty tanks take alot of weight off.....but you have to think about everything you put in a trailer....dishes, games, clothes, etc, etc, etc. Once all that is in, it doesnt leave much if you decide that you want to hit a dry spot for a weekend and need, generator, full tank of water, and other things. I'm just saying, that "if" you were to load the trailer full, then the opportunity for being maxed out is there. For me personally, I have always gone bigger is better on the tow vehicle. Towing for 20+ years and luckily have never had to test the trucks capabilities of avoiding major catastrophe.

I do want to add 1 thing.....In the end, its really up to you as to what you feel comfortable with.

Richie Rich Vt
04-01-2012, 06:20 AM
You should be fine. The Passport your looking at has a max loaded weight of 5950. You truck is at 7000. depending on how many people you have in your truck you should be ok. The Passport says it can carry 2000 lbs, thats a lot of weight.

That being said does your truck have the tow package from the factory? Trans cooler? etc.

I have a Grand Cherokee with the tow package. 5.7 hemi. My Jeep is rated for 7500lbs. I tow a Outback 250rs with absolutely no problem.

Go for it and have fun.

steve eboe
04-01-2012, 01:08 PM
We drive the exact same truck you do, a 2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a V-8, and we pull a Passport 189 ml -- a 19-foot trailer with a dry weight of just over 3,300 lbs (just a bit smaller and lighter than the 195BB, I believe).
We have been extremely happy with the combination and have had no problems. Just returned from a long trip from Central Wisconsin to the Florida Keys and back (about 4,000 miles) and the Dodge Dakota and Passport both performed very well.

steve e-boe