PDA

View Full Version : Installed 5er Hitch on New Truck

therink
03-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I just completed installing my old Reese fiver hitch in the new 3500. I purchased the correct frame adapter kit and did the install myself. I bet I saved about $300 and it took about 5 hrs. I took my time and followed the written and YouTube directions to a T. It was a lot harder than it looked in the video, but I had the right tools and attitude. My knuckles, well they didn't fare as well.
Can't wait to try it out. Maybe tomorrow I will take her for a pull.

hankpage
03-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Well done ....... :applause: Here is your "At-a Boy" :thumbsup: ... At least you know it is done right, Hank

therink
03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Actually, I left out one out of ten lock washers. The bolt was in an unreachable location above a heat shield that could not be removed. I had to use axle grease on the flat washer just to make it stick to the bolt long enough to get the nut threaded. It was a real bear. I'll never tell anyone.
Next weekend, I'll tackle the Dexter EZ Flex install.
Hopefully, camping after that.

hankpage
03-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Actually, I left out one out of ten lock washers. I'll never tell anyone.

Too late. :surprise: You just told a little over 4,000 members. "bouncey: The EZ-Flex will be a much easier install, Hank

KenBob
03-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Congrats on the install! A great sense of accomplishment occurs when such jobs are completed. Let us know how the EZ-flex install goes. I am going to do the same to our triple axle Fuzion in a couple weeks.

Exsailor
03-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Ok I am officially jealous. I have got to start doing more of these projects myself. However as a followup what is the consensus on how often to check the torque on the hitch?

Exsailor
03-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Ken, whoa, nice bike!

therink
03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Ok I am officially jealous. I have got to start doing more of these projects myself. However as a followup what is the consensus on how often to check the torque on the hitch?

If you can tell me how to get a torque wrench on the bolts below the bed, you are a better man than me. There is about 2" height between the truck frame and bed. There is no way a socket will fit in there, much less a box wrench.

hankpage
03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
If you can tell me how to get a torque wrench on the bolts below the bed, you are a better man than me. There is about 2" height between the truck frame and bed. There is no way a socket will fit in there, much less a box wrench.

You have to have a sky hook and a bucket of red steam. ........ blue steam will not work. ....... :rolleyes:

KenBob
03-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Ken, whoa, nice bike!

Thanks! :wave:

KenBob
03-23-2012, 06:09 PM

I have removed the spare tire, used the open end of a wrench and used a "cheater bar" to help tighten the nuts. As the years add up, it is getting to be a pain. Literally and figuratively. I will do my own service, maintenance, and repairs if I can. And when I can't, it is or will be very, very hard to trust whomever works on my stuff.

Therego, I would also question the torqueing of any nuts/bolts on a "professionally" installed hitch.