PDA

View Full Version : CO and Smoke Dtector Thoughts

wrighfr58
03-18-2012, 05:01 AM
We recently went to check out our 5th in storage. The purpose was to check out how it survived the winter and ready it for the first camping trip at the end of the month.

I am happy to report, all was well.

The only thing that caught me off guard was the chirping sound as we entered the trailer. I thought is was the Smoke detector at first and removed the battery. I later found out atht is was the CO detector.

Question? Should I have removed the batteries before storing and then planned to replace them before the season starts?

jsmith948
03-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Have not experienced this problem, but, our CO detector is battery powered and is supposed to chirp a warning when the batteries are low.
I think I would replace the batteries or at least check them for voltage?

Tim&Patty
03-18-2012, 06:10 AM
As part of our Winterize/De-Winterize process all batteries are removed from all devices (including remotes) and replaced with fresh ones at the beginning of the season. If we were full-timers we'd do with our stick home, change the smoke and CO batteries with the time change. Just our 2c.

Safety First, Everythings is Fun!

SteveC7010
03-18-2012, 06:22 AM
As part of our Winterize/De-Winterize process all batteries are removed from all devices (including remotes) and replaced with fresh ones at the beginning of the season. If we were full-timers we'd do with our stick home, change the smoke and CO batteries with the time change. Just our 2c.

Safety First, Everythings is Fun!

That's a real plan. I am uncomfortable leaving batteries in the trailer over the winter up here where the temps can dip below zero F for weeks at a time.

wrighfr58
03-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks Everyone! Great Advice!

How long does the rookie camper label lasts? (lol)

2011 keystone
03-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Till you get too 100 post I think:rofl:

edschumann
05-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Where we store the trailer, there is no electric to plug into.

After a few weeks, the batteries (2) are stone dead. Can't even use the electric tongue jack. They are brand new batteries-deep cycle Interstates.

I found that the only load that stays on is the CO detector. I disabled it and plan to use a plug in (110v) that I have.

I'm waiting to see if the batteries stay up after a few weeks.

Also had thoughts about a portable solar charger.

Any thoughts about this?

SteveC7010
05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Battery switch. There are several "vampires" like the AM/FM radio that pull a little juice constantly. Pull all the fuses or add a battery switch.

Festus2
05-28-2012, 01:59 PM
edschumann -
There are two other possible causes of battery drain which you might want to check. The first is your stereo/CD player's backlight which, if not turned off (by pulling its fuse) will eventually pull your batteries down.
The second is an often-missed switch (Climate control switch) on your fridge. On many fridges, there is a small black rocker switch whose function it is to control the moisture/climate within the fridge itself. This switch is located beneath the top decoration panel that houses the control panel. Open the freezer door and look up underneath the panel. It should be in OFF position when you are not hooked up to shore power. I usually leave ours OFF almost all the time. If left ON, it will continuously draw on your batteries and can drain them fairly quickly.
If your batteries are charged up, a solar-powered trickle charger will help to maintain them but will be next to useless if they become discharged and you want to recharge them with a trickle charger. If you get a one of the larger solar panels, you will probably need a controller/regulator as well. The smaller solar chargers usually don't require one.

chuck&gail
05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
If you install a battery cutoff switch, and charge your battery before storage, a $20 solar battery maintainer will keep battery topped up. I've used them like that for over 20 years.

witekjm
07-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Fred, You need to remove ALL batteries for winter storage. This includes smoke detector, CO detector, flashlights, battery powered clocks and other items. We thoroghly check the Trailer each fall for the batteries, remove them, check for charge strength, and discard the weak or dead ones. Some batteries rupture and corode your terminals.

For the 12 volt battery- I remove it at end of every camping trip and also store it in the basement during winter. I use the BatteryMinder slow charge sytem to keep it charged. Still have the original battery from 2009!:)

randy69
07-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Storage for me is no longer than 3 months in the winter. Always plug into shore run gen and check battery water every 2 weeks year around. Change all smoke & co detector batteries once a year. Also drain fresh water every couple of months. Refridge always on, only turned off when i defrost.