PDA

View Full Version : Interior lights get very hot

rbuckles
03-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I purchased a 2012 Bullet 215RBS last week (1st time RV owner :thumbsup: !). I'm concerned though because all of the interior lights get very hot and are scortching the plastic fixture where the bulb plugs in (see attached). Even the plastic covers over the lights are too hot to touch. I've verified the bulb is the correct type as specified on the fixture (# 921). Thoughts?

JoeofNSB
03-17-2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5139

The above is a link to the thread I had started about some LED lights I used in my to decrease heat and battery usage. Worked great. They are pricey but if you change a few at a time it's not too bad.

Hope this helps a little.

SAD
03-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Have you put a volt meter on it to see if you're getting more than 12v at the fixture? I've never seen that type of scorch before.

hankpage
03-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I agree with SAD. Check the voltage. Your converter may be putting out too much voltage. ..... If you have multiple batteries, are they wired correctly???
Let us know what the outcome is. :confused: Hank

smiller
03-17-2012, 06:23 PM
It looks like there is a poor (high resistance) connection from the bulb to the socket, which can create a lot of heat. I have no idea why though, unless the socket itself is poorly designed or has some sort of manufacturing defect.

SteveC7010
03-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Agree with the others, voltage check, pronto! If you're using the trailer right now, I would take as many systems off line as possible to prevent possible overvoltage damage until you know what you are dealing with.

Something is seriously wrong there.

rbuckles
03-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all your comments! I took volt meter readings at the fixtures and it registered 13.2V. Will contact Keystone customer service and the dealership tomorrow. In the meantime, I installed LED lights in one of the fixtures, no heat at all, although lighting is a bit dimmer with the LED. I also took most everything offline. Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted.

smiller
03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Yes, if it were an overvoltage significant enough to cause that kind of problem then you would be blowing bulb filaments right and left. If multiple fixtures are doing this then they might just be poorly/cheaply designed and if so then I think it's a reasonable warranty claim.

Terrydactile
03-19-2012, 03:05 AM
13.2 volts is perfect not too high to cause abnormal heat.