PDA

View Full Version : Is there an antenae on the jensen stereo?

mapleman3
03-17-2012, 03:48 AM
My jensen am/fm/cd comes in crappy...is there an antenae for it? Does it use the retractable tv antenae?. I should be getting local fm stations much better than I am?

JIM

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Tim&Patty
03-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Jim,
I'm sure it does, I found mine wound up and wire tied when I installed my XM reciever. Clipped the tie and extended it up inside the wall, much better reception tho we don't listen to over the air stuff anymore LOL :rofl:

hankpage
03-17-2012, 06:05 AM
My Cougar has a roof mounted antenna but I have heard the newer trailers are just coming with a with a wire curled up behind the radio. Members have claimed that stretching the wire out has improved reception somewhat. Hope this helps, Hank

JRTJH
03-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Mapleman3,

I'm not sure which TT you have, but if it's like almost every other Keystone, you'll find a square plate covering the outer front edge of your Jensen. Use a knife or putty knife to pop that off and you'll find 4 screws holding the stereo in place. Pull it out and you'll discover one of the "bonuses" you get with Keystone: A SPIDER'S NEST of wires. Look closely in this "BUNDLE OF JOY" and you'll see a wire coiled up with a wire tie on it. It should be connected to the antenna input on the back of your stereo. What I did, and what many have done is to unwind this wire, route it through the hole that goes to the TV and then tape it or otherwise secure it to the side of the TV cabinet. Once uncoiled, you should get somewhat better reception. If you're not satisfied with that, you can take the TV amplifier out, and on the back of it is a spare coax connector. Route a short coax cable from that spare connector to the coax input on the stereo and you'll be using the rooftop TV antenna for signal input. The only problem with that mod is going to be if your TV Amplifier and the stereo are not somewhat close.

Good Luck
John

smiller
03-17-2012, 06:31 AM
I was also laughing (or crying) when I found that they didn't even bother to unfold the antenna wire and just left it coiled up... that's just beyond lazy. Good idea on tapping the TV antenna output, didn't think of that...

slewis95407
03-19-2012, 06:17 AM
After removing my Jensen stereo I found the antenna that was coiled up. This is the AM antenna. At the top of the stereo there are two silver screws and printed next to them (300 ohm FM antenna) Usually a folded dipole antenna is used at this connection. This the flat ribbon lead antenna that is in a T confiuration that used to come with TV's and stereos and can be purchased at Radio Shack. The top of the T needs to be stretched out for best reception.

Conclusion: There are two antenna connections on the Jensen Stereo, 1AM & 1 FM

cumminsdad08
03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
if you stretch out the wire, make sure it goes up and down, running it to the side for any kind of lenght wont help you much at all. mine has a seperate antenae on the roof, which is nice, but it tends to work itself down every once and awhile. not sure if it is the wind, or if i am hitting something with it:rofl:

smiller
03-19-2012, 01:17 PM
If it is the 300-ohm flatlead FM antenna it should ideally be mounted horizontally. That will give it a horizontal polarization to match that used by FM broadcast antennas.

charltons
03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
just checked mine in my sprinter.......no antenna at all. Checked the bag with all my manuals, antenna in the bag......I suppose at least they left it for me.