PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good match?

mic1hael
03-15-2012, 08:14 PM
The family and I recently purchased a new TT at an RV show here in Portland, OR (thats a whole other topic):) It is a 3220bh by Passport. The dimensions are as follows: 35'5" long, 6240 dry weight and fully loaded comes out to 7,500lbs. We are going to tow it with a 2006 Nissan Armada with a towing capacity of 9,000lbs. and a GCWR of 14,822lbs. with a wheelbase of 123". I guess my question is this too much trailer for this vehicle. Any ideas would be extremely helpful. On a side note we won't be picking up the new TT till April 2, 2012.

Jorme
03-15-2012, 09:08 PM
IMO that is too much trailer for your Nissan. While it may tow it on flat ground fine, the question you need to ask is will it stop it fine in an emergency or down hill. The fully loaded weight seems a little light for 6240 dry, by the time you add a full tank of water, propane, and load it with everything to go (food, clothes, dishes, tables, chairs, tools etc) Also depending on how many people and the weight of the nissan, I would assume you are going to be close to that gcwr. I would go with a 3/4 ton..... But that is just my opinion and what I would be comfortable with.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?f0wcxw

charltons
03-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Flat level roads you will be fine, but going over the passes to and from the coast you will not like the slower speeds up the hills nor the weight behind you on the way down. 3/4 ton would be my preference.

SAD
03-16-2012, 02:12 AM
In my opinion, that's too much trailer for the Armada. Weight would not be my ~main~ concern... It would be a combination of that trailer's length and weight against the Armada's 123" wheel-base... I would be looking for a full-size pickup with 140-150" WB or better (in 3/4 variety preferred).

Badboy
03-16-2012, 03:25 AM
Take it for what it is worth,I pulled my 30 ft Outback to Florida two years ago and had no problems,I pull with a 2008 Chevy Tahoe.The only problem I had was going up hills.Trailer weighs 6730 # dry.Of course I went I 55 so I would not have to go through the mountains.:bdance:And I never puul the trailer with water that is just more weight you don't need to haul.I total out at at around 7200 # no problems.All so get a good breaking unit installed in the truck.And happy camping. Ron & Mary :wave:

SteveC7010
03-16-2012, 05:30 AM
You'll want to go back and check the rear axle rating on the Armada. Many SUV's have much lower axle ratings than you might think.

And keep in mind that your actual tongue weight should be 12-15% of your loaded weight, not the dry weight.

SAABDOCTOR
03-16-2012, 06:25 AM
I am with steve i think you are cutting it too close

mic1hael
03-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Well after all the research I did and with what everyone else had to say I appreciate your input and thank you for verifing what I probably know what I needed to do. The main concern for me was the wheelbase:( So I have another question. What would you recommend for a vehicle with a family of five and two dogs, one rott one chihuauhua? Just asking.

Jorme
03-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Well after all the research I did and with what everyone else had to say I appreciate your input and thank you for verifing what I probably know what I needed to do. The main concern for me was the wheelbase:( So I have another question. What would you recommend for a vehicle with a family of five and two dogs, one rott one chihuauhua? Just asking.
Are you looking for new or used.....

Used, Excursion is a good choice, V10 or diesel.

New, 3/4 ton truck, crew cab, with campershell. Personnaly I would look at the new Dodge with the cummins. Inline 6, 800ftlb of torque, great mileage and no DEF. Not to mention about 10k less than the Ford or Chevy..

And I am die hard Ford guy!!!

SAD
03-16-2012, 10:49 AM

A good friend of mine was in the exact same boat you are in just a few years ago. He liked my truck and ended up trading his SUV for a Megacab 2500 with the Cummins. That was in 2007. To this day he gushes about his truck when towing. Almost sickening. Lol.

SAABDOCTOR
03-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Well with everything you need to pcak kids dogs wife. the mega cab is out not enough room! the ford sun blocker (excurssion) with the diesel (so you get great power and economy ) would be the way to go!"bouncey:

Jorme
03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Well with everything you need to pcak kids dogs wife. the mega cab is out not enough room! the ford sun blocker (excurssion) with the diesel (so you get great power and economy ) would be the way to go!"bouncey:

Thats why I added the camper shell option!! :thumbsup:

SAABDOCTOR
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
YEA BUT HOW DID YOU GET YOUR WIFE BACK THERE AND LIVE?:wave:

Jorme
03-16-2012, 12:52 PM
YEA BUT HOW DID YOU GET YOUR WIFE BACK THERE AND LIVE?:wave:

:cool3: :dizzy:

SteveC7010
03-16-2012, 01:21 PM
You're looking at a trailer with about a 7,500 GVWR. Pretty much any of the Big 4 1/2 tons with a crew cab should work for you as long as they are properly equipped. Short or long bed would be pretty much personal preference.

If the trailer was any heavier, I'd be advocating at 3/4 ton. Also worth thinking about if you might be stepping up to a heavier trailer in the years ahead.

bennydog
03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
I finally threw up my hands.....have been towing a 2010 Cougar 24RKSLwith a 2007 dodge ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I had modified the air intake with a K&N and added an edge tuner with a tow program in an attempt to make the setup work. . Just traded it in and took delivery of a 2012 Dodge RAM 2500 Laramie (options to the max) 6.7 turbo diesel 11Klbs tow capacity 2200 lbs cargo capacity. Living in the inter mountain west I am so looking forward to running the Rockies at the speed limit:) as opposed to the 35 MPH on the previous 4 trips. Still snow on the ground but have already made the initial adjustments to the hitch height and may try it out this weekend weather permitting to see how she sits. Pictures to follow :cool3:

mic1hael
03-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Well I biut the bullet and ended up getting a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. I know it's way more than we need but eventually we would like to get a fifth wheel. Now I don't have to worry about my wife and kids when they go cross country this june. Unfortunetly I have to work.:( Thanks again for all the insight I will post a picture of the TT and TV together when we pick up the trailer in April.:bdance::bdance:

Festus2
03-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I think it was a wise move. It will give you some added flexibility in the future as well as the extra margin of safety that you will enjoy now. What price "peace of mind"?