PDA

View Full Version : Do you tow with the fridge on or off?????

Jorme
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
I have heard both over the years......Me personally, I have always towed with the propane on and the fidge on.

What about you and why?

Ron
03-14-2012, 10:11 PM
I have pulled horse trailers with L/Qs and RVs for about 30 years and have always left the refergerator on and have not had any issues. Today we did a no no, forgot to turn the furnace off when we left Ely Nv. and about 20 miles down the road I thought about it and pulled over at the first wide spot in the road to turn it off. I guess I'm getting a little forgetfull. Happy Campin............Ron

SAD
03-15-2012, 02:26 AM
On all the time.

DTJ9610
03-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Usually depends on the distance of the drive. If it's to my local camp site then no, it's off. If it's a longer trip then yes I'll turn it on.

Jim W
03-15-2012, 06:24 AM
The only time I will turn the fridge off when towing is when the propane tanks need to be closed by law.
Jim W.

raytronx
03-15-2012, 06:33 AM
I always tow with propane tanks off. I find the fridge stays cold anyway, it's pretty well insulated. Then I don't have to remember to turn it off when refueling and taking ferries, etc.

kenn209
03-15-2012, 06:52 AM
The only time I will turn the fridge off when towing is when the propane tanks need to be closed by law.
Jim W.
Same here....

hankpage
03-15-2012, 07:35 AM
X 3 .... Hank

golfpro
03-15-2012, 08:26 AM
off!! I saw a MH start a fire at a gas station and the 5000 gallon propane tank next to it almost went up if not for the quick response of the fire dept. Now I put ice packets into the frig to keep it cold. works for me.

campingcpl
03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
We leave ours on all the time when towing. Our fridge is on the opposite side of fuel fill on the truck and is far enough back that I can pull the truck into the pumps and the trailer refer vent not be close to the pumps.

charltons
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Always.....we don't even take a cooler anymore.

jje1960
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Have towed with the fridge on for the last 9 years. Only shut the propane off for tunnels and danger situations with summer refuel situations for the TV.

Jim W
03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
off!! I saw a MH start a fire at a gas station and the 5000 gallon propane tank next to it almost went up if not for the quick response of the fire dept. Now I put ice packets into the frig to keep it cold. works for me.

That's what nice about a diesel TV when pulling, you do not have to worry about gasoline fumes from pumps. Where I fill up it is in the diesel truck islands and there is no gasoline around to cause fumes.
Jim W.

smiller
03-16-2012, 12:58 PM
off!! I saw a MH start a fire at a gas station and the 5000 gallon propane tank next to it almost went up if not for the quick response of the fire dept. Now I put ice packets into the frig to keep it cold. works for me. Vehicles burn for a lot of reasons. How do you know that the cause was the refrigerator?

This concern comes up all the time but all it takes is a little logic to defuse it. There are thousands or tens of thousands of RVs on the road every day and 90% (if this poll is correct, and it is probably close) have their refrigerators on. Add to that all the other possible sources of ignition (such as potentially a bad spark plug wire in any of the millions of vehicles that fuel up each day, plus who knows what else), and the fact that mushroom clouds at gas stations are exceedingly rare and it's pretty obvious that any danger is negligible.

JRTJH
03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Vehicles burn for a lot of reasons. How do you know that the cause was the refrigerator?

This concern comes up all the time but all it takes is a little logic to defuse it. There are thousands or tens of thousands of RVs on the road every day and 90% (if this poll is correct, and it is probably close) have their refrigerators on. Add to that all the other possible sources of ignition (such as potentially a bad spark plug wire in any of the millions of vehicles that fuel up each day, plus who knows what else), and the fact that mushroom clouds at gas stations are exceedingly rare and it's pretty obvious that any danger is negligible.

I agree with smiller. In addition to that, I see far more people smoking or talking on their cellphone than I see refueling with an RV in tow, and seldom does that add to the "fireball" at any refueling station. I think the danger is there, as small as the potential may be, but to say that forgetting to turn off the referigerator is going to cause a fire is pretty bold. It may, under "ideal" circumstances cause a fire, and there's certainly no reason to "tempt fate" but with the number of automobiles that drive past a refueling operation with sparks flying under the hood, smokers, static conditions in dry winter areas, and the host of other possible hazards, refrigerators in RV's is only one of literally hundreds of possible sources of ignition. Removing all the others with the "same vigor" that's being urged here may make refueling much safer than just singlarily pointing fingers at RV's.

golfpro
03-16-2012, 09:30 PM
some one questioned how do we know it was the frig that caused the fire. Ever hear of fire investigation? That's where the fire started and the guy pumping was with in two feet of the frig vent when it went boom. if you want more proof I will get you the fire report.

golfpro
03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Vehicles burn for a lot of reasons. How do you know that the cause was the refrigerator?

have you ever heard of fire investigation? for one thing you question the guy pumping the gas. for some reason the MH people built the gas inlet very close to the frig vent and when the gas ignited he just about messed his pants and he dropped the hose and that made the station erupt into flames. It only takes one idiot to kill a thousand. I don't care to be that idiot.

SAD
03-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Lolz @ "only hundreds"

Ayotte
03-18-2012, 06:04 AM
We run the fridge all the time when we are towing. Did install a toggle switch on the fridge power line so that when we refuel I can turn the fridge off with out having to go into the camper. Makes it safer when refueling.

Alfonso8100
03-23-2012, 09:43 PM
It's totally depends on the distance of the drive.In local camp site then i think useless and in case of longer trip then yes.

drifter101
03-26-2012, 12:19 PM
On all the time!:)

SAD
03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Every forum has a thread like this... Or multiple threads like this where the fridge-on while traveling discussion comes up.

I'm kinda amazed there are people who ~don't~ travel with it on. What difference does it make if it's 30 minutes or 30 hour drive... IF there is a risk, the risk is the same.

Many will say, "Why take the risk?"..... Heck driving is a risk.. So is crossing the street...

It's designed to be on while traveling. Well maintained equipment will do what it's supposed to do.

How many people inspect their car's brake system hydraulic lines or their tie-rod ends prior to each morning's commute? No one... Yet those systems have a safety impact on every single move your daily driver car makes... Not a minimal one either... And not just when you're refueling every single instant you're moving...

Things that make you go... Hmm...

smiller
03-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Perception of risk is a very funny thing. It's very common for people to focus on what's in front of them to the exclusion of the big picture, happens in forums of all different stripes. If you're going to worry about the minute risk of a refrigerator fire incident you should also not drive in inclement weather, on tires more than a year old, or if the sun is in your eyes as any of these probably represent 1,000x (or 10,000x) the risk factor.

LarryL
03-28-2012, 08:48 AM
I turn mine on at storage when I pick up the rv for a trip
and have never turned it off when getting gas if the gas
station has gas fums that fill the gas pump bays I think
they would be shut down, the volume of fums would have
to be so great you would smell it as soon as you got out
of your truck

dakingsella
03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
I always travel with it on.

Jorme
03-28-2012, 10:32 AM
How many people inspect their car's brake system hydraulic lines or their tie-rod ends prior to each morning's commute? No one...

:) Not on my daily driver.....but on my engine I do!!!!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_32445_0_8ddb85ca3da66df593034200f6d0b307.jpg

Jim & Kay
03-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Yes, we drive with the frig on all the time. Leave it on auto and it makes the switch when the electric cord is unplugged. Also, it automatically comes on if power is lost at a campground.

therink
03-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I turn mine on in April and turn it off in October. Plug in at the house stocked, cold and ready to go.
Steve

azlee56
03-29-2012, 10:07 PM
I brought this up to the boyfriend a few days back and he said, yeah I know that is why I fill up the truck when it isn't on. We go on short rides though. So I asked what if we were on the road and seeing stuff. He said I would shut off the propane, which won't make the fridge cold and then after turn it on.

bwt, I won't answer the phone or talk on it when I fueling! Most times I make sure it won't ring.

SAD
03-30-2012, 01:39 AM
BTW.. the phone thing is a myth.

chipjohns
04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
BTW.. the phone thing is a myth.

Myth Busters tried EVERYTHING to get the phone to start a fire. Didn't happen.

reubenray
04-22-2012, 11:33 AM
For the ones that have their campers in storage are you allowed to have the refrigerator running via propane in the storage yard? On our first trip I was wanting to start it the night before and then while we are making the 5 hour trip early the next morning.

Will this be an issue?

f6bits
04-22-2012, 03:28 PM
No problems at my storage yard. I’m not sure how they’d enforce that, or even how they’d word it in the contract unless they called it “unattended propane usage.”

rhagfo
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
For the ones that have their campers in storage are you allowed to have the refrigerator running via propane in the storage yard? On our first trip I was wanting to start it the night before and then while we are making the 5 hour trip early the next morning.

Will this be an issue?

I always start the night before, with the Copper Canyon, I set it on auto so as soon as we get to the campground it goes back to electric.

I also leave my Propane on in storage, if it leaks I want to know before I leave, not once i get there. if all gas appliances are correctly maintained you should not have an issue.
I don't "store" for the winter as we are four season campers, my winterize is to, by pass and drain the water tank and fill the water system with safe antifreeze!

johnnyrose
04-27-2012, 10:01 AM
I am new to this, but I leave it on while driving. Don't see any need not to and makes it so I don't forget to turn the propane on to cook at the campsite.

chris199
05-01-2012, 10:20 PM
We have had no reason to tow with it on. Agree with some posts here that the fridge is very well insulated. Sometimes, for longer trips, we will freeze a gallon jug of water and put it in there to keep things cold. Works for us.

We are planning a long trip for mid May. Planning to take our portable fridge in the TV and plug into cigarette lighter. I guess I could actually put that in the trailer, now that I'm writing this..... mmmmmm.......rather put the weight in the trailer but will need some way to secure it in there.

Anyway.....saw a 5er fire in NY. Very bad. I don't know what started it...they were driving at ignition.....but it was obvious the gas was one. There were explosions from inside the trailer and what appeared to be flame throwers coming from the trailer.

Just rather have peace of mind. I'd be the idiot to not turn off the unit at a gas station.

SAD
05-02-2012, 02:07 AM
We have had no reason to tow with it on...

Hmmm

.....longer trips...

we will freeze a gallon jug of water and put it in there to keep things cold...

...long trip

...take our portable fridge in the TV and plug into cigarette light...

These ^ sound like pretty good reasons to me!!

chris199
05-02-2012, 03:36 AM
I can't explain it but we can deal with not using gas so we do. Peace of mind.....

Maybe at some point we'll just bite the bullet and leave it on. The 90+% figure above speaks for itself.

Perhaps if we had not seen the trailer fire last summer (one of the first to run across it just as it started), perhaps I would not be as hesitant.

Just going with my gut...not necessarily my head.... on this one I guess.

gerry.witt
05-02-2012, 10:20 PM
It's just more convenient to leave it on.

chris199
05-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Were 14 hrs from home for this weekend's trip o Nashville. Kept the fridge on during the trip to. Nashville. Assumed we would do the same on the way home.....

Packed everything up...but had some work to do b4 leaving. Got back in the camper after all was done except disconnecting power. Smelled propane..no alarm. Turned out that DW or I accidentally/somehow moved a stove knob an gas was spewing slowly from the stove. Normally I would turn the gas off to travel OR would have just left thinking all was OK. Am thankful I had a reason to go back in the camper!

We travelled with the fridge on.....just triple checked to be sure all was OK.

Hopefully his post will cause someone to avoid the same circumstance.

fla-gypsy
05-22-2012, 03:42 AM
I turn mine on the night before and I tow with mine on. The manufacturers designed it to be used this way. I know some folks and even some regulations suggest you should turn it off when refueling but the location of mine places it far away from any fueling I may be doing. I never turn mine off until I arrive at the CG and switch to electric.

jje1960
05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Yea, much 'ta do' with this topic.... Have our way, jeez, of course it's on when we travel, why would I want to set off on a 24hr trip with the fridge off???? Going in for fuel, hot, no breeze, humid heavy air August night and going in a covered fuel station... Well common sense kicks in, not somewhere that I want the fridge unit to kick the propane open flame burner to kick-in, stop before the danger area and turn it off. Just our way.