PDA

View Full Version : Need new thermostat

popup
03-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Greetings, Need to replace my analog thermostat. The on/off switch went bad. Any recommendations? Stick with analog or is there a digital upgrade model which is headache free and consistently works. Dont want digital if theyre even slightly less reliable than the analog ones. Also do they have to be rv specific or can I pick any up at home depot? If rv specific what's best online place?

I have a 1 ac suburban furnace setup. Dometic duo therm

f6bits
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Go digital. I got some basic Honeywell one from OSH. It doesn’t have to be RV specific, but home ones don’t easily support the A/C’s Hi/Low fan switch. Read up on what’s involved and ask for help if you get stuck:
http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/14/rv-digital-thermostat

SteveC7010
03-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Go digital. I got some basic Honeywell one from OSH. It doesn’t have to be RV specific, but home ones don’t easily support the A/C’s Hi/Low fan switch. Read up on what’s involved and ask for help if you get stuck:
http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/14/rv-digital-thermostat

The Hunter digital mod is one of the best things anyone can do for their RV. I did it on my Sunline, and it was the first thing I did on the Cougar when we brought it home.

Most of the instructions on the net for this mod include adding a switch for the High/Low fan speed on the A/C side. In the Sunline, I never bothered with the switch because it worked so well on Low that I never felt I needed the extra fan speed in that trailer. But it was a 24' travel trailer with a 6'2" ceiling throughout.

When I installed the Hunter in the Cougar, I wired it for High fan speed only, and will probably not add the switch for Low speed figuring that the larger volume and ceiling heights of the fifth wheeler will always need the max output of the A/C.

It really is an easy mod.

popup
03-14-2012, 04:51 AM
Are these much better than the round digital single zone Dometic ones I found online. Also thinking if the Dometic would be an easier exact color match install.

SteveC7010
03-14-2012, 05:07 AM
Are these much better than the round digital single zone Dometic ones I found online. Also thinking if the Dometic would be an easier exact color match install.

IMHO, Dometic thermostats (digital or analog) are just plain over-priced and under-capable. I would not consider any Dometic thermostat for upgrade or replacement.

The off-white Hunter's blend pretty well with most any decor, residential or RV so I don't see that as an issue at all.

f6bits
03-14-2012, 07:40 AM
The Hunter/Honeywell thermostats are about $20-$25. There’s really just one choice with the Dometic. With the home ones, you can get a low-priced one, or spend some more (but still less than the Dometic) and get whichever features you want.

Oh, and I don’t know about with the Dometic thermostat, but with the home ones, they’re battery powered, so keep some spare batteries on hand or you’ll end up with no AC or Heat when the thermostat batteries die.

campingcpl
03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
We did the Hunter thermostat upgrade last year and added the toggle switch so we could change the fan speeds. The mod was pretty easy if you are handy with a soldering gun. It made a big difference when it came to the furnace and A/C cycling on and off. :thumbsup: Ours is battery operated and still on the first set of batteries.

pjhansman
03-17-2012, 04:37 AM
I took the easy (but comparatively expensive) route. Replaced my Coleman Mach analog thermostat with the Coleman Mach digital. :)

popup
03-18-2012, 05:04 PM
I couldn't find the exact model # of the hunter 4229b anywhere for sale but I did find the hunter 42995 at Walmart for $20. Will this one work? Is this the same with just an updated model #?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-Heat-Cool-Just-Right-Digital-Thermostat/17248152

SteveC7010
03-18-2012, 06:56 PM
I couldn't find the exact model # of the hunter 4229b anywhere for sale but I did find the hunter 42995 at Walmart for $20. Will this one work? Is this the same with just an updated model #?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-Heat-Cool-Just-Right-Digital-Thermostat/17248152

The Hunter 42995 is the original one used when this mod was first developed. It will work just fine. All the original instructions you'll find on the net are for the Hunter 42995.

There's another version of the Hunter available at WalMart that is programmable with 4 time blocks per day. If you need the extra functionality, the hookup is identical.

campingcpl
03-19-2012, 06:55 AM

That's the one I used and it works great.

halfprice
04-14-2012, 09:57 PM
When I installed the Hunter in the Cougar, I wired it for High fan speed only, and will probably not add the switch for Low speed figuring that the larger volume and ceiling heights of the fifth wheeler will always need the max output of the A/C.

I bought a Honeywell one week programable digital today. I started the install but had to stop to take the DW to dinner. I'll finish it tomorrow morning.

I do have a question. I have an orange wire for A/C low and blue for A/C high. I only need/want A/C high. So do I hook up the blue High to the "G" fan terminal and not connect the orange Low. I believe this should get me High only or do I hook up both Low and High to the "G" terminal.

Thanks for the help

Jerry

SteveC7010
04-15-2012, 06:00 AM
I bought a Honeywell one week programable digital today. I started the install but had to stop to take the DW to dinner. I'll finish it tomorrow morning.

I do have a question. I have an orange wire for A/C low and blue for A/C high. I only need/want A/C high. So do I hook up the blue High to the "G" fan terminal and not connect the orange Low. I believe this should get me High only or do I hook up both Low and High to the "G" terminal.

Just connect both wires to the "G" terminal. If you were to install a switch for hi/low, it would just connect the "hi" wire to "G" anyway.

If you search the net on hunter thermostat rv you will find many hits on this mod. Most of them have links or contain the precise instructions which include the hi/lo switch. This one in particular shows the hi/lo wiring very well and should answer any remaining question you might have.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/hunter_install.html

halfprice
04-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Just connect both wires to the "G" terminal. If you were to install a switch for hi/low, it would just connect the "hi" wire to "G" anyway.

If you search the net on hunter thermostat rv you will find many hits on this mod. Most of them have links or contain the precise instructions which include the hi/lo switch. This one in particular shows the hi/lo wiring very well and should answer any remaining question you might have.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/hunter_install.html

Thanks I installed it before seeing your reply. I have read that install and a couple others but they all installed the switch High/Low and I didnt want to do that.

I connected both high and low to the "G" terminal and all worked great.

The DW is now happy because the old thermostat was junk.

Jerry