PDA

View Full Version : Satellite hook-ups

Camper
03-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Does anyone out there have a great solution on hooking up two direct tv boxes?

geo
03-13-2012, 11:25 AM

Camper -

I don't know if you have a system or are planning on getting a DirecTV system. If you are planning on getting a new DirecTV system, then hooking up two boxes is actually quite easy. Look at utilizing DirecTV SWM (pronounced "swim") technology. It's pretty awesome.

Ron

pjhansman
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM

I run two receivers with my system, but I'm not exactly sure what you're after here.....

Is your dish built in?

Are you independently hardwired to multiple locations in your RV?

Camper
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Camper -

I don't know if you have a system or are planning on getting a DirecTV system. If you are planning on getting a new DirecTV system, then hooking up two boxes is actually quite easy. Look at utilizing DirecTV SWM (pronounced "swim") technology. It's pretty awesome.

Ron

Wow, great. What type of dish do you have? do you know if you cans use a Wineguard satellite or not?

therink
03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Yes, I run two boxes. I run two coax cables from the dish. One connects to the "sat in" connection on rear of my rig. The other coax connects to the "cable in" connection on the rear of my rig.
The "sat in" feed sends dedicated signal to sat box in living room.
The "cable in" feed sends dedicated signal to a cable on the rear of the antenna booster plate in living room. I removed the plate from the wall and disconnected this cable from the antenna amplifier. I then identified and removed from the amplifier the cable that sends dedicated antenna signal to the front bedroom coax receptacle. Using a barrel connector, I connected the "cable in" feed from sat dish to the direct feed to front bedroom. Voila, I now have uninterrupted direct sat feeds to two different receivers.
The trick is to make sure there are no splitters or amplified signals in the feeds from dish to receivers. It must be a direct run. The only problem us that I can't use the rv antenna to send signal to front bedroom since I have this feed bypassing the rv antenna amplifier. No problem though as I always use the satellite for signal.

I hope this helps. Steve

Jorme
03-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes, I run two boxes. I run two coax cables from the dish. One connects to the "sat in" connection on rear of my rig. The other coax connects to the "cable in" connection on the rear of my rig.
The "sat in" feed sends dedicated signal to sat box in living room.
The "cable in" feed sends dedicated signal to a cable on the rear of the antenna booster plate in living room. I removed the plate from the wall and disconnected this cable from the antenna amplifier. I then identified and removed from the amplifier the cable that sends dedicated antenna signal to the front bedroom coax receptacle. Using a barrel connector, I connected the "cable in" feed from sat dish to the direct feed to front bedroom. Voila, I now have uninterrupted direct sat feeds to two different receivers.
The trick is to make sure there are no splitters or amplified signals in the feeds from dish to receivers. It must be a direct run. The only problem us that I can't use the rv antenna to send signal to front bedroom since I have this feed bypassing the rv antenna amplifier. No problem though as I always use the satellite for signal.

I hope this helps. Steve

I have been wondering this......my question is, can it be set up to still run the park cable if its available from the cable in port on the trailer?? I dont care about the rv antenna, but sometimes we wont put the sat up if there is decent cable feed from the park.

therink
03-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Yes, but it would require either pulling the antenna amp out and reconnecting back to original or maybe an a/b switch would work. You could also remove the sat in coax from rear of sat receivers and connect directly to coax in on rear of the tv's.

geo
03-14-2012, 04:29 AM
Wow, great. What type of dish do you have? do you know if you cans use a Wineguard satellite or not?

I'm not sure about the Winegard, it might have to be a Traveler roof mount. I modified a home dish and attached it to a heavy-duty tripod.

Ron

SteveC7010
03-14-2012, 04:59 AM
Our DishNetwork system has either a splitter or two separate outputs on the LNB right at the dish itself. One line goes to the upstairs bedroom and the other to the living room.

For an RV, if I was going to regularly use cable and satellite, I would think about adding separate cabling and hookups for the satellite and use the stock RV cabling for the cable and antenna. The entertainment center in most RV's is fairly accessible for running additional lines, and to some extent, so is the master bedroom.

The newer TV's all handle multiple inputs much better than older ones, so having cable and satellite on separate inputs is much simpler than it used to be. And a lot easier to hook up.

Food for thought.... The Dish tech told me that they are using a different type of coax and connectors for HD signals. He made up a few patch cords for me while he was here to install the system, but you can also use the newer Monster (and others manufacturers) products that are specific for HD. That may be a good reason all by itself to install separate cabling for the satellite in an RV.

Jorme
03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Yes, but it would require either pulling the antenna amp out and reconnecting back to original or maybe an a/b switch would work. You could also remove the sat in coax from rear of sat receivers and connect directly to coax in on rear of the tv's.

Im going to dig into it this weekend.....

n4qpcham
09-05-2013, 11:43 AM
The antenna power supply/12V power connector plate with the on/off switch w/LED, has circuitry in it to prevent a satellite receiver to provide power through it to the satellite dish, no matter the brand of dish/receiver. This is to keep any electricity from being back-fed into a park's cable system and blowing their cable amplifier, according to the information I read on the Winegard web site about the power supply. Search "RV-7012" on the site to see the operator' manual. So that means single the outside cable connection is for park cable-in only.

Jeleben
02-23-2014, 10:19 AM
The 2014 montana 3735mk has a satellite in connection for tv1 and tv2. My question is if I have a dish receiver that controls 2 tvs, is there a way to connect the dish to tv1 and at the receiver connect the bedroom tv2

cgrace1998
03-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Our receiver controls two TVs also but our Dish tech hooked us up with a flat coax connector that goes right through the bedroom window, it is totally flat and the window does not leak, or never has. Hope that helps.