PDA

View Full Version : "New" Used Owner

WebsterFreedomLite
11-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Hello All,

Just bought a 2009 Keystone FreedomLite 279TB (re-badged Passport 280BH). Can't wait to pick it up from the dealer this coming Saturday. I will be pulling it with my 2009 Chevy Silverado XFE. I love my Chevy when it get gas mileage of 20.2 mpg going 72 mph on a long trip. It's too bad I won't be getting that mileage with the trailer!

Any tips out there from anyone with my new trailer? We've upgraded from a 2007 Flagstaff Shamrock 19 hybrid.

Happy Camping,

Andy

Flyguy
11-22-2009, 10:02 AM
I get about the same mileage with my Tundra under the same conditions, however when towing the Passport I get about 12mpg max, but that's with the bias ply tires that came with it, I plan to change them out with radials and expect to do better by about 1 to 2 mpg due to the lower rolling resistance of the radials over bias ply’s. The Tundra has a 6 speed double overdrive transmission and when I tow I have it in the tow/haul mode and use selective shift in the 5 position which restricts the tranny to 5 gears, I find that I get my best mileage that way.

WebsterFreedomLite
11-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the towing tips. I also have a 6 speed in my Chevy. I'll have to do some experimenting with and without the tow mode and see what mileage I get.

Flyguy
11-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Keep in mind that the tow/haul mode only changes the shift points for the first three gears and has no effect after 3rd gear, this helps out on hills by winding out the rpm's a little more and using more HP and torque, it also helps when going down hills by helping to control speed with the engine as well as the brakes. With all the tools that you have access to in modern TV's you can do a lot as far as control goes and tow safely. I also only tow between 55 and 60mph, there I can set the cruise control and let the traffic pass me so I don't have to touch the brake pedal hardly at all. I know that most trailer tires are only speed rated at 65mph so I keep proper pressure in them to keep them from overheating.

Festus2
11-22-2009, 08:33 PM
If you have the Allison transmission, I think that most people simply leave it in tow haul whenever they are towing. This is what I do and it works for me. The GMC truck manual also recommends that you leave it in this mode. I don't have the electronic overhead console which gives you the various readouts so I have to figure out my mileage the "old way". I also use the overdrive cut-out feature when I am going down a long steep hill as it seems to hold back better. Because your truck is a newer GMC, it probably has the 6 speed manual option in addition to the auto 6 spd. Mine is a diesel which adds another variable to the equation.