PDA

View Full Version : Hensley or PowerPride and Cougar 32 SAB

chris199
03-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Looks like Cougar designed the front end of their new campers to not accept WD Hitches like the Hensley or PP.

Any suggestions? Love the RV but want a safe hitch to go with it!!!

Not PowePride......meant ProPride

f6bits
03-11-2012, 10:41 AM
People swear that the Equalizer hitch will fit. I have one and love it. If your tow vehicle has a lengthy wheelbase, you won’t need the Hensley/PP overkill.

chris199
03-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Tundra is 5.7L V8, 4.3, double cab....has 145" wheelbase.

Can it handle 35' TT....assuming a good WDH?

f6bits
03-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Weight distribution is the easy part. It’s the sway that’s the challenge. Your trailer length isn’t way over what you can manage without sway control. Equalizer will do a good job, but I’d recommend you take a look at the Reese Dual Cam setup since it looks to do a better job of holding a trailer straight.

michol02
03-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi chris199, I replied to your message. If you didn't get it, let me know(I think I sent it the right way!!!).

Bob Landry
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Tundra is 5.7L V8, 4.3, double cab....has 145" wheelbase.

Can it handle 35' TT....assuming a good WDH?

Yes, it can. Mine does fine. No reason why it shouldn'y. The wheel base on the Tundra is longer than the Ford SuperDuty Regular and Extended Cab.

chetscc
03-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Not sure if it has the same front end as the 2011 Keystone Laredo 291TG. This is the trailer we have and the propride hitch fits. Getting to propane tanks is a little more difficult. Good Luck!

LeeMedic
03-22-2012, 03:43 PM
I pull at 35' Sprinter with a 2000 Ford Excursion diesel with 137" wheel base.

I tried the Equalizer and still got some sway. I purchased the Hensley and LOVE IT! No sway at all! It is one of the best investments I have ever made and it is warranted for life.

If you ever sell your trailer, Hensley will buy the hitch back from you.

You can purchase a refurbished one and save a heap of money.

Sean Woodruff
03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I think this title is referring to the ProPride 3P hitch and not PowerPride.

The Hensley Arrow and the ProPride 3P are completely different from any of the conventional hitches. They eliminate the leverage on the tow vehicle that is applied when a trailer pivots on a hitch ball. With the Arrow and the 3P the pivot point is projected forward and the travel trailer will tow more like a 5th wheel.

I was the vice president of Hensley Mfg for 10 years before starting ProPride and making improvements in the old Arrow design. We also sell the ProPride NEW for what the Arrow goes for used and refurbished.

The Sod Father
04-25-2012, 09:03 AM
A bit late to the conversation but as LeeMedic will tell you, I am also a Hensley convert. I had sway with my Equalizer. I spent plenty of time on the phone with the folks at Progress Manuf (make of Equalizer) but I still had sway. I bought a refurbished Hensley direct from Hensley for about $2,300. Problem solved.

This past weekend, we took our first trip of the season. I was raining on the drive home and I was getting blasted by tractor trailers non-stop. Not a lick of sway.

And to Sean's credit, I have two friends who have the ProPride and they also love it. One of my buddies had an issue with the side plate of the adjustable hitch head breaking, but ProPride took care of the issue.

bullet
04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm pulling a bullet 284rl ,with a Expendition, pulls like a champ and no sway, it was worth ever $$$$ , hands downj, mike :bdance::wave:::thumbsup::thumbsup:

handye9
05-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Looks like Cougar designed the front end of their new campers to not accept WD Hitches like the Hensley or PP.

Any suggestions? Love the RV but want a safe hitch to go with it!!!

Not PowePride......meant ProPride

I opted for the Andersen model 3380. Don't have the trailer yet, so, I haven't tried the hitch.

Here's a link to one on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Andersen-3380-No-Sway-Weight-Distribution-Hitch-with-6-drop-rise-FAST-SHIP-/130636104339?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item1e6a84c293&vxp=mtr

The Sod Father
05-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I opted for the Andersen model 3380. Don't have the trailer yet, so, I haven't tried the hitch.

Here's a link to one on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Andersen-3380-No-Sway-Weight-Distribution-Hitch-with-6-drop-rise-FAST-SHIP-/130636104339?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item1e6a84c293&vxp=mtr
I gotta say, I never heard of the Anderson hitch. It is an interesting concept and has lots of benefits but I wonder how they say "no" sway. It is still dampening sway, not eliminating it.

I read a few threads on other forums and reviews have been mixed on how well it dampened sway. I would love to hear a report on how well it performed for you!

handye9
05-02-2012, 07:05 AM
I gotta say, I never heard of the Anderson hitch. It is an interesting concept and has lots of benefits but I wonder how they say "no" sway. It is still dampening sway, not eliminating it.

I read a few threads on other forums and reviews have been mixed on how well it dampened sway. I would love to hear a report on how well it performed for you!

Here is a link to rvnet forum http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25717515.cfm. This is where I first heard of the Andersen hitch. There are some folks on that forum, who replaced other WDH's (including Equalizer) with the Andersen.

So far, I have not seen anything negative about this hitch. If you have, I would like to read those reviews.

I won't be able to test my hitch until I get the new (2013 Cougar 32SAB) trailer. Part of the hitch setup is drilling for set screws. I don't want to do that to my existing trailer and then do it again when the Cougar arrives.

The Sod Father
05-02-2012, 08:00 AM
The last post on this page has quite a few reservations about the Andersen -
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25717515/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm

I will be curious to see how well the triangular plate holds up to real world forces when combining WD and driving conditions. I'm still not convinced that the cone with brake material will eliminate sway with long trailers (30+ feet in length) and short wheelbase tow vehicles.

When is your new Cougar scheduled for delivery?