PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Generator to Buy?

skenney
03-07-2012, 07:37 AM
What type of generator would the Forum recommend that I purchase to run my lights and what not on my 2011 Outback 280RS? Do I really NEED to spend $3500 on a Yamaha 4500W generator or can I afford to go cheaper? Thank you for any and all input.

Steve

f6bits
03-07-2012, 07:46 AM
A 2000W generator will run everything but the A/C. The A/C will take another 2000W.

michol02
03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I used a 5000 watt cheap generator (30amp) from Lowes on my Cougar for a few days(continuously), and it ran everything in the trailer. There's one at Lowes now (looks better than the briggs i have) made by Generac, 5000 watts continuous, for $649.00 (Just some info to consider).

skenney
03-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Does it really boil down to "You get what you pay for?"

f6bits
03-07-2012, 08:39 AM
The inverter generators are the expensive ones. They vary the speed depending on load and produce very clean power. The cheap generators run at full speed full time and don’t produce the cleanest power. Much less regulating going on in them.

So, if you don’t have delicate electronics and you don’t mind the noise, get a cheap generator.

skenney
03-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Very interesting. Thank you all for the information. I appreciate the feedback.

jq1031
03-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I own a Dometic 3000W portable. I find it perfect for my needs as it even runs my 15 KW air conditioner, available for about $750 online

allentx1
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
On my Avalanche 340TG there is a compartment where the landing gear is located that does not have the same rubber floor as the basement. It also is not sealed up from the elements and even has 2 circular airvents to the exterior... is this where I would put a generator? Do you guys mount them inside or sit them on th eground outside?:confused:

f6bits
03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I put mine on the ground, as far away as possible. No way do I want the exhaust anywhere near my trailer.

jq1031, I saw that Dometic one too late into the game, but I’m happy with my Yamaha 2000. The 2000 is pretty light and quiet. The Dometic is heavier and louder. But if I ever wanted to run A/C, I’d probably get the Dometic rather than another Yamaha 2000 to run in parallel.

smiller
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
There are essentially two classes of small gasoline-powered generators, those using and inverter and those that use a traditional design. The former are quieter and produce much higher-quality power (in terms of voltage and frequency stability, distortion, etc.), but can also cost twice as much or more per watt. Whether the difference is worth it or not depends on your intended use and budget. To me it's a one-time expense and I would rather put up some more money and enjoy the benefits of the inverter units, but for occasional use a standard unit would probably do and some are priced very competitively ($300 or so for 3 kW, can't beat that.)

f6bits
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I forgot to mention point out that while my 2000W generator won’t run my A/C, you can infer that it takes more than 2000 watts to run the A/C, leaving you with less than 1000 watts on the Dometic, so you’ll have to be careful when you choose to run some of your appliances, like the microwave and electric option on the water heater.

jbsmith
03-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm ashamed to admit how much I paid for my Honda EU3000is, but it's very quiet...about as quiet as the rooftop A/C. The electric start is great and I plan to convert it to propane after the warranty expires. I originally bought the 3000is Handi which is a lot lighter, but also five times (7dB) louder.

I started with a 13.5k BTU AC but have since upgraded to a 15k BTU unit with our new fifth wheel. A second 13.5k unit is installed over the bedroom. Obviously, I will only be able to run one at a time when using the genny.

I haven't tried running the 15k AC on the genny yet, so I may be adding a second 3000is running in parallel with the other or possibly a single 6500is. However, the bigger genny is almost 300 lbs...not really practical to move around (IMO) unless you have a toy hauler or a strong back.

If the 3 kVA unit wont carry us, we'll just use prepared sites and boondock during more temperate times of year when AC isn't mandatory.

P.S. Please consider your neighbors and the impact of noise pollution when buying a genny...nothing worse than someone wheeling out an industrial size generator at the campground running at +110 dBA (exaggerating) to ruin the outdoor experience for everyone.

I listened to my neighbor run a cheap 6500 kVA generator blaring away for a week when we lost power due to ice storms. I had folks coming by asking if we still had power, they couldn't hear the Honda purring away in the back yard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

smiller
03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm ashamed to admit how much I paid for my Honda EU3000is, but it's very quiet...about as quiet as the rooftop A/C. Noise level is probably the most important spec by far. No one wants to either run or listen to a generator and if your great deal is too noisy for you to use without being self-conscious then it won't really end up being much of a deal. Pay attention to noise specs, and even a few dB can make a big difference.

mapleman3
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
When want "clean" voltage....what's the best way to check? I will be trying my sportsman 2000w from tractor supply and then see what the voltage at the plugs are as I turn on the micro ....I wont need it for really anything else but charging the batterys and an occasional plugging in a computer to charge....ok maybe a tv if its raining

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

smiller
03-07-2012, 01:05 PM
When want "clean" voltage....what's the best way to check?Pretty much need test equipment for objective measurements. As far as how much your various electrical loads will care, some won't notice much at all, some will work better with better quality power, and some won't work very well at all without a clean power supply, depends on their design.

jbsmith
03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Pay attention to noise specs, and even a few dB can make a big difference.

If you're not familiar with dB and log scale, just keep in mind that an increase of 3 dB doubles the sound pressure, I.e. twice as loud, 6 dB is four times, 7 dB is five times, and 10 dB is ten times or an order of magnitude.

There's often a direct correlation of price to noise. Cheap job site generators are obnoxiously loud and won't win you any friends at the campground.

jq1031
03-07-2012, 06:13 PM
I put mine on the ground, as far away as possible. No way do I want the exhaust anywhere near my trailer.

jq1031, I saw that Dometic one too late into the game, but I’m happy with my Yamaha 2000. The 2000 is pretty light and quiet. The Dometic is heavier and louder. But if I ever wanted to run A/C, I’d probably get the Dometic rather than another Yamaha 2000 to run in parallel.

Your right on both counts, but it really does a great job & the electric start is a major plus. I have a back problem so I keep it on my truck & use an 30amp extention cord to connect when needed. I wish it was as quiet as the Honda however, it's really not a problem for boondocking as most understand the need for power. I always turn it off if I feel it may be disturbing a fellow RVer.:bdance:

CarKath
03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I skimmed this thread at best, my opinion, buy a Yamaha gen. Honda are good...........

skenney
03-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Pretty much need test equipment for objective measurements. As far as how much your various electrical loads will care, some won't notice much at all, some will work better with better quality power, and some won't work very well at all without a clean power supply, depends on their design.

I wonder if it would be possible to hook up an oscilloscope to the 110 outlets in the camper to get a visual of the p-p nominal voltage and whatever noise might be coming in over the line? I wonder if people install filters in-line to clean up some of that dirty power?

skenney
03-08-2012, 12:41 AM
I am impressed with all the input coming out here. Keep it coming.

I found a clean-burning Sportsman LPG 4000 Peak Watts Portable Propane Generator with CARB Compliant. This guy runs at 68db. Anyone want to chime in if this is loud or quiet? At $450 I am curious if it is better to get a Honda?

jbsmith
03-08-2012, 03:27 AM
This guy runs at 68db. Anyone want to chime in if this is loud or quiet? At $450 I am curious if it is better to get a Honda?

"Loud" is relative. Most comparison charts will list 68-70 dB as the sound level of a vacuum cleaner from 3ft away. In my opinion that is pretty loud.

By comparison, the EU3000iS is speced at 58 dB at full load...so the model you reference is 10 times louder. Under light load the Honda will idle down and is rated at 49 dB at 1/4 load. However, you have to factor in cost. The 3 kVA Honda will cost you $2000 (+/-).

I've heard the Yamaha is comparable to the Honda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

antiqfreq
03-08-2012, 05:36 AM
We have 2 Honda EU2000i's in the tool box in the bed of our truck, they are paralleled together.

Run one for everything except a/c,
then we crank up 2nd one if we need a/c too.

We have run this set up about 4 1/2 years now - using them allover the country. Did quite a bit of boondocking in our travels and never a problem.

Plus the tool box locks up and they are out of site.

Jo':thumbsup:

smiller
03-08-2012, 03:07 PM
We have 2 Honda EU2000i's in the tool box in the bed of our truck, they are paralleled together.Two eu2000's is really the hot (if not the least expensive) ticket. Easy to handle weight-wise and it provides redundancy... if you have a failure (as if a Honda would ever fail :D) then you will at least have half-power available. This could be a real trip saver if you are boondocking.

jje1960
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Ahhh, one of the most popular questions/topics on the RV circuit! So many situations and mitigation's, that's for sure. Noise and $.... where it matters and where it does not... Big consideration. So many we have been near that just plain don't care about the noise, period. If their aircon works, then they are set, don't matter that everyone packed around them gets to share the noise. Just my perspective, however I've always done everything I can to not be the obnoxious RV'r doing our thing. It's cost a lost of cash, but just how we have done it. When I don't need to run aircon, use a 1k Mitsubishi inverter, no reasonable person can say this bothers them, that's for sure. For aircon use, I have a Boliy Inverter, runs the 15k aircon and when not using aircon, idles down. I've also gone as far as using an enclosure, the GENTENT really helps with dampening sound. We just try and not be the obnoxious people next door. Have also installed Supco capacitor in aircon unit, every thing helps while running on genset. I think we have had more friends stopping by expressing appreciation with our practices attempting to be quiet as possible vs complaining! Go to a Nascar race, great place to see the wide spectrum of quiet gensets vs REALLY LOUD units! Not everyone has the $ for the top of the line inverters, but as long as they try to do what they can to be a good neighbor, all part of the RV thing..... :)

Oscar
03-09-2012, 04:27 PM
If you are anywhere near other campers running one of those cheap a$$ generators all day long they will hate you.

Me, I spent the money and got the quiet stuff.

Yes, you get what you pay for.

dhdb
03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Boliy 3600 inverter generator. It will run everything you will ever need (except AC & microwave at same time). It is lightweight and costs approx $1200-1300.

This is a friend of mine selling one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260977477814

bennydog
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
I picked up a CPE (Champion Power Equipment) 2000watt Inverter from Costco last year for $449.00 after $50 rebait. Same specs as the Honda including the 53db noise rating. We used it several times last year and it works great at half the price of the Honda. 2 of them can be chained together the same as the Honda.

RGRTim
05-14-2013, 09:22 AM
has anyone tried the Generac propane models? good? bad? quite? loud?
Thanks in advance?

Stublejumper
05-14-2013, 08:17 PM
I agree ,buy what is best for your needs and can afford ,but I went for the Honda 3000 si ,, runs everything with being considerate to others.

Herkbubba
07-12-2013, 05:49 AM
Hello all... have searched the message board and trying to find out the "easy" answer.

Read through this thread and it seems the closest to what I'm looking to answer.

I have a 2008 Sprinter 311BHS... standard stuff - all stock.

Looking for a genny for overnight parking (A/C) and/or boondocking.

I looked at those Hondas... Woooooo! Expensive!

Are there any other options that won't blow the neighbors ears off?

Just looking for something to run the A/C and minimal additional load (a few lights, etc)... I know to kill the A/C if we want to use the microwave.

Sorry if this has been beat to death but we're somewhat new to RV'ing - if you find a link from a previous thread, that'll work, too!

Thanks,
Herk

raytronx
07-12-2013, 07:09 AM
To run AC and a few other small loads your going to need around 2400 watts or better. AC takes a lot of juice when the compressor starts. You will hear that 2000w gennys sometimes run the AC but it's hit and miss and doesn't leave much extra for other loads. Personally I own a pair of Champion Inverter style 2000w and have been happy, they have one out now for around 900$ that puts out 3100w at 58dba. Honda, Yamaha, Bolly are other brands that have good reviews.

Ray

Hello all... have searched the message board and trying to find out the "easy" answer.

Read through this thread and it seems the closest to what I'm looking to answer.

I have a 2008 Sprinter 311BHS... standard stuff - all stock.

Looking for a genny for overnight parking (A/C) and/or boondocking.

I looked at those Hondas... Woooooo! Expensive!

Are there any other options that won't blow the neighbors ears off?

Just looking for something to run the A/C and minimal additional load (a few lights, etc)... I know to kill the A/C if we want to use the microwave.

Sorry if this has been beat to death but we're somewhat new to RV'ing - if you find a link from a previous thread, that'll work, too!

Thanks,
Herk

Herkbubba
07-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Ray - much obliged!

After doing a search for the Champion (YouTube / reviews / price / etc) I stumbled on this link:

https://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26885427/srt/pa/pging/1/page/3.cfm

Shows a bunch of genny's and compares their sound signature...

Champion 3100w about the price of the Honda 3000 and just a little bit louder - In the range of the Yamaha 3000.

For half the price - it's hard to sniff at...!

raytronx
07-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I saw one running in person at the RV show in January at Quartzite, it was a demo model for display before it launched and it was pretty quiet, especially when in Econo mode and just puttering along.

Cheers Ray

Ray - much obliged!

After doing a search for the Champion (YouTube / reviews / price / etc) I stumbled on this link:

https://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26885427/srt/pa/pging/1/page/3.cfm

Shows a bunch of genny's and compares their sound signature...

Champion 3100w about the price of the Honda 3000 and just a little bit louder - In the range of the Yamaha 3000.

For half the price - it's hard to sniff at...!

Herkbubba
07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
I saw one running in person at the RV show in January at Quartzite, it was a demo model for display before it launched and it was pretty quiet, especially when in Econo mode and just puttering along.

Cheers Ray

Thanks ... I think I'll try to find one myself at an RV show and see how it operates.

I can't see spending $2k+ for a genny that I can get for less than a grand.... I know, I know... "You get what you pay for".

The big drawback to the Champion (in addition to the higher db) is the small gas tank. Just 1.59 gal.

Thanks again - this has definitely led me in a good direction!

schwalbach
07-13-2013, 05:08 AM
EU3000iS

I bought one in 1999, it has run perfect ever since with about 25 hours a year, and can handle my complete camper and run the ac unit.

Now you can go the cheap route, go through 4 times the gas in a weekend, have to have noise cancelling headphone at a quarter mile, change fuel filters 3 times a weekend, and that is IF you can get it running, or you can buy a Honda that sits and purrs quietly and never quits, starts on 1 pull or with electric start.

I have 3 friends who went the cheap route and I went Honda, after two weekends fighting the junk they sold them on Craigslist and bough Honda's and have been happy campers ever since!

Spend the money up front or spend it over time, I spent it up front and have never tinkered to keep it running, gas and oil and works every time

JRTJH
07-13-2013, 06:09 AM
schwalbach,

I get your prejudice against generators without a "HONDA" sticker on them, but yellow, blue, black and even green generators still produce electricity "just fine"

I also think that maybe you overstated the frequency of filling gas tanks, changing filters and the frustration at "trying" to start a "non HONDA"

Your experience may lead you to be a "loyal HONDA fan" but other's (me included) see generator use from a different perspective. There's room for your opinion, but please remember, others may not agree with your "exclusivity"

Outbackmel
07-13-2013, 07:11 AM
I would Google and at least consider a Boliy inverter 3000.
Remote start.

bigcitypopo
07-13-2013, 12:09 PM
I have a boliy as well. Runs great. Electric remote start. ... It's 75lbs and a bit odd shaped. A little much for my 125 lb small framed wife to hurl about.. I might get a 2000w'er for quick trips...

schwalbach
07-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Wow JRTJH Super Moderator , the guy was looking for advice so I offered it sorry to have offended you (I felt the slap in the face all the way through the wires ).

He wanted advice, I offered, as others have, I stated my experiences, Honda happened to be the brand I have, others with Boily's have also chimed in, did not see you flame them.

You have an issue with Honda then state it so the guy can make an informed choice, flaming me and my advice serves nothing for the guy looking for advice.....

yes I am a Honda fan for the reasons I stated, it will kick down on low speed conserving gas, not run wide open all the time, difference is I can run all weekend on 5-7 gallons of gas, the cheap gens run wide open all the time and take 5 gal to run for the night, another 5 to run for the day etc, 4 times is not an exaggeration. Noise, I have to check if it is running as it is almost silent across the campsite when on low, others are a lawn mower engine running 24/7. Those cheap ones seem to always have a carburetor issue, and constantly need tinkering, the Honda just starts right up and runs all the time, I have done nothing to it since I bought it.

You want names I can give you them in a PM, of the two friends that have been there and bought a Honda.

Again don't flame me for offering advice, give the guy something constructive to work with as I have.

Lets keep the site constructive and let people offer their advice when asked, the poster can make an informed choice after considering the advice given.

Festus2
07-13-2013, 04:35 PM
schwalbach -

I don't think that JRTJH or any other member here has an issue with Honda generators. No one is disputing the fact that they make a great generator. If I understood his post(s) correctly, he is simply pointing out that there are other generators that, for less money, perform very well in a campground situation and will do the same job as a Honda.

Many people would agree that the Honda is pricey but it does have many great features and qualities. Having said that, to refer to some of the less-expensive generators as cheap, junky gas guzzlers that are not likely to start, require fuel filter change after 2-3 days, and fellow campers would need earplugs within 1/4 mile of it, are all biased, negative comments. It's not advice that I would consider to allow someone to make an "informed", intelligent choice when choosing one brand over another.

If you had said that buying a Honda generator is a smart thing to do because it is very economical, extremely quiet, thoroughly dependable, and of excellent quality I would pay attention to that kind advice. It would be both constructive and positive. I'm not sure whether or not trashing other products is all that helpful to someone looking to make an informed decision.

Jim Dow
07-13-2013, 05:15 PM
By all means go with the Honda 3000 generator SuperQuiet. It can be paired with a second Honda 3000 generator if you want more power. These are not too heavy that you can't work with them; and they are not too large.

Although they are 30 amp generators, they supply plenty of power for your camper. They are the quietest generators around.

TandE
07-13-2013, 08:43 PM
I have a champion genny that I bought used for $100 and is 7 years old. Don't know how many hours are on it but the thing is still kicking strong. This last trip when we were staying the night at rest stops we used it to run the a/c.

While it is a louder than a Honda it wasn't bad at all and we could barely here it running inside. It doesn't run full speed all the time only under a load. Running for 8-10 hours straight a night the most fuel I used was 2.4 gallons. The temps outside were high 80's to low 90's so it got a workout to get the trailer cooled down.

I'd say that is decent fuel economy while I haven't used a Honda or the likes to see the difference. But for night stays in restops it's perfect. The dry camping we do go to the genny will only be ran before quiet hours maybe a little in the day to recharge the batteries and make coffee. Since the parks are usually quiet and shaded the trailer doesn't get as warm and the windows open cools it down enough.

One of these days I might spring for a quieter one but for what I mentioned we use it for it does the job.

Couldn't be happier.

Jim Dow
07-14-2013, 10:28 AM
I use a Honda SuperQuiet 3000i generator. Two of these units can be coupled together using a special kit - for more power. These units are indeed super quiet. Also, they are not too heavy.

woster
07-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I highly recommend the Powerhouse 3100 Generator. It is very quiet on eco mode, starts 1st try and best of all has a remote start/stop that works from 100 feet. Almost 1/2 the price of the Honda 3000.

Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ouqVrN0Vc

Oh, also the Powerhouse 3100 will run our 15K Btuh AC, blow dryer and curling iron without overloading.

bucketman
08-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Has anyone looked at the Generac LP3250. It runs on LP and supposedly only 73db.

TandE
08-01-2013, 07:47 AM
The only thing that concerns me about that one is the weight. 137lb. Is a lot to store when need be and that is probably without the propane and tank. Mine weighs approximately 97lbs or so without fuel and it gets heavy lifting it in and out of the truck.

I did find a company though that sells conversion kits to run a lot of generators off of propane and even a rv kit that can run off the low pressure port for the outside grill. It was approximately 160 dollars for it and im thinking of doing that to mine.

pjhansman
08-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Has anyone looked at the Generac LP3250. It runs on LP and supposedly only 73db.

"ONLY" 73db??

Making it more than 10 times louder than my Yamaha.

labs4life
08-02-2013, 04:50 PM
"ONLY" 73db??

Making it more than 10 times louder than my Yamaha.

So how many DB is the Yamaha??? 10 times sure is a lot!!!! The Hondas are a whopping 63 DB and that is not 10 times less. S tell us why we should buy a Yamaha!

Festus2
08-02-2013, 06:23 PM
So how many DB is the Yamaha??? 10 times sure is a lot!!!! The Hondas are a whopping 63 DB and that is not 10 times less. S tell us why we should buy a Yamaha!

The decibel is a really confusing term which can easily be misunderstood. It is based on the power/factor of 10 and is quite complicated. You would have to, for example, have 10x the intensity to sound twice as loud.

If generator X is 55dB and generator y is 65dB, you can safely say that one is noisier or quieter than the other. :D No need to make it more complicated than it is. ;)

pjhansman
08-04-2013, 03:30 AM

Matters not to me what you buy unless you're parked beside me :)

In practical terms, at full demand you can stand beside my Yamaha (or the equivalent Honda) and easily carry on a conversation. When you get over 70db that is not possible.

In addition to being quiet, it's PSW power, gets great gas mileage, has wireless electric start, and is very reliable.

I will admit that it's heavy, but I've got a small jib crane that I use to lift it in/out of the truck box.

Phil

Jim Dow
08-04-2013, 06:43 AM
I went with the Honda 3000is. Yes, it cost a lot more, but it is the quietest generator I have ever owned. Also, it has electric start; and it can be paired with another similar unit for double the power.

I only intend to buy one (or one set of two) generators; and so far, I made the right choice. All my facilities/utilities run - even continuously together.

And, everyone is happy with the lack of noise.