PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Batteries Charged

ljp
03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
What are the best ways to keep the travel trailer batteries charged when the trailer is parked for an extended period of time? Will a constant connection to an outlet keep the batteries at full charge?

f6bits
03-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I disconnect my battery when it’s in storage. Why do you want to keep yours plugged in?

But back to your question, if you have a good three-stage power converter, it’ll drop down to a trickle to keep your battery topped off while your trailer is plugged in.

Some people use a small solar panel setup to keep the battery topped off.

Klosequarters
03-05-2012, 06:59 PM
We winter our 5th wheel at the house and I plug it into a 20 AMP circuit about two weekends a month and it seems to do fine. I see no reason to keep it plugged in all the time with no real draw on the batteries. So far this winter I have not had to add distilled water. I like this better than removing the batteries and placing them in the garage where they would not freeze. Bottom-line for me is it seems to be working fine and I have power to run the slides out when I want to go inside and check the interior.

smiller
03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
If you have access to power the best way is with a good charger that floats the battery at the proper temperature-compensated voltage, with maybe an automatic equalizing charge thrown in every once in a while. The worst way is with a crappy charger that sits at the wrong voltage for extended periods of time.

pollockd
03-06-2012, 04:21 AM
install a Perko switch. It allows you to switch off the battery power to the TT. I also bought one with a key to lock it in the off position.

Badboy
03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Cougar has a battery disconnect

Beerfix
03-18-2012, 08:18 AM
I dont trust the built in charger in the converter, so I remove the batterys, and keep the water topped up, and on a Battery Tender 2 bank charger in the shop. I think its a 1.25A charger.

smiller
03-18-2012, 08:44 AM
I dont trust the built in charger in the converter,If it's the typical OEM unit, that's smart. Doing what you are doing (removing the batteries and using a Battery Tender) is a reasonable solution, but you can replace the original unit with a quality converter/charger for not too much money and save yourself the effort of moving the batteries around.

Beerfix
03-18-2012, 09:12 AM
If it's the typical OEM unit, that's smart. Doing what you are doing (removing the batteries and using a Battery Tender) is a reasonable solution, but you can replace the original unit with a quality converter/charger for not too much money and save yourself the effort of moving the batteries around.

Yeah, I've been looking into that a little, or also how to isolate and disable the "charging" circuit in the converter, and just add an onboard smart charger.

chuck&gail
03-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I use a battery cutoff switch. A small solar panel then keeps battery topped up.

Hansel
03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
I disconnect the battery and use a solar charger keeps mine ready to use all the time.;)

Frogdown
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
I keep my trailer plugged in all year long. Have never had battery problems!