PDA

View Full Version : Dodge 5.9 owners

2011 keystone
03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
My 5.9 cummins had a very loud belt chirp whenever I shut it down.
I found a fix. It is called a over running alternator pulley.
Kinda a pain in the butt job to replace but if you pay attention or better
yet take some photos before you take everything apart it is not a hard job.
And was worth it the first time I shut it off and there was not a very
loud squeeek squeeek.

I got mine on E-bay for about $80.00 with shipping.

hankpage
03-04-2012, 04:35 PM
You totally ruined your trucks personality. Next thing you will try to eliminate turbo whine and injecter clatter. Real Trucks Rattle and chirp. "bouncey:
Been chirpin' since '94. You see here in Jersey you can't pump your own fuel so I tell the station attendants that I installed the chip to make sure they pump diesel. What's scary is that some of them believe me. Hank

Usually it is the waterpump that chirps on the belt.

2011 keystone
03-04-2012, 04:37 PM
HAHAHA I do love the turbo whine:thumbsup:

Clanton24v
03-04-2012, 05:04 PM
HAHAHA I do love the turbo whine:thumbsup:

Just the other day while bringing home our new trailer. I had a talk with the wife about the fact that I'll probably never put a stereo in the truck because I am just fine listening to the motor and turbo.

SteveC7010
03-04-2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=igJEPTDNqqs

cumminsdad08
03-04-2012, 05:22 PM
never heard a chirp, all tho, if you like the way the turbo sounds, pull the silence ring out, it will put a bigger smile on your face.

filling stations at jersey, i love it. my chevy has a utility body with the filler neck stretched out, so the vent was never extended, not a big deal, but you can't fill full out with the pump, you can only put it on the first click. and for whatever reason, those guys can never figure this out, even when i tell them. they usually get completly covered in diesel. sometimes i will swing in just for kicks not really needing fuel.

2011 keystone
03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
NJ , my wife has familey up there. The first time we drove up to visit I pulled in to get fuel jumped out of my truck and I thought the guys working there was going to panic when I tried to pump my own fuel. we dont even have any full service stations around here anymore.

turbopilot51
03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
You totally ruined your trucks personality. Next thing you will try to eliminate turbo whine and injecter clatter. Real Trucks Rattle and chirp. "bouncey:
Been chirpin' since '94. You see here in Jersey you can't pump your own fuel so I tell the station attendants that I installed the chip to make sure they pump diesel. What's scary is that some of them believe me. Hank

Usually it is the waterpump that chirps on the belt.

You forgot to mention that real trucks don't have spark plugs! :thumbsup:

RCrawler
03-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Its a Cummins thing. My '08 did it. My new truck has done it from day one. All larger engines with serpentine belts do it too.

I'm not sure how it is in New Jersey. But in Oregon, it is legal to pump your own diesel, even though you can't pump your own gas.

Jason

hankpage
03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Its a Cummins thing. My '08 did it. My new truck has done it from day one. All larger engines with serpentine belts do it too.

I'm not sure how it is in New Jersey. But in Oregon, it is legal to pump your own diesel, even though you can't pump your own gas.

Jason

Same here but most station owners don't allow it for insurance reasons. (They say) Stations that sell a lot of diesel will usually let you pump but the attendant has to start pump and take payment, they are not set up for self-serve. Since all prices are full serve you might as well let them pump ..... you're paying for it.

MILBY
03-05-2012, 03:50 AM
I had never owned a diesel before buying my 2005 Dodge with the 5.9. Needed the truck to pull the327 RES. I always heard that chirp when I shut it down and thought that was something I would have to look into , guess not. Did just have to replace the Master cylinder and brake lines.

Clanton24v
03-05-2012, 04:30 AM
From what I've read the chirp is because the motor shuts down and stops moving faster than the accessories do that's why there is the chirp from the serpentine belt. The newer one don't do it as bad as the older ones. I don't remember exactly where I read that though.

Jim W
03-05-2012, 06:22 AM
My 6.7L has had the chirp when I shut it off since new. In fact I can even still hear the electric fuel pump running a little after I shut the engine off in the garage.
BTW what is a full service fuel station? I have not seen one since the late 70's in IL. But fuel price have stayed the same as if they are a full service station.
Jim W.

SAABDOCTOR
03-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Why on earth would you buy a diesel and then make a gas motor out of it? If you want dead quiet by the gas engine! let the turbo whine the belt chirp and the engine rattle that's what it was designed to do! Lordie i love diesels and jet fuel in the moring!:bdance:

rjsurfer
03-05-2012, 09:09 AM
My 03 has done it since day one.

R.W.

2011 keystone
03-05-2012, 09:38 AM
OK guys I guess what I should have said was if you dont like the chirp I found a fix:p:rofl:

Clanton24v
03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
OK guys I guess what I should have said was if you dont like the chirp I found a fix:p:rofl:

LOL. Yeah that may have been a good start

jbsmith
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Mine also chirps in protest...and with the silencer ring removed she whistles pretty good too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MILBY
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Jim W I agree being another Il person have never had anyone pump my gas.

cumminsdad08
03-06-2012, 02:15 AM
how do i make it chirp, now i am feeling left out:rofl:

charltons
03-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I also am feeling left out......Not a single chirp to be heard......My wife says its because the diesel exhaust and smell kills all the little birdies:rolleyes:

Clanton24v
03-10-2012, 07:53 PM
how do i make it chirp, now i am feeling left out:rofl:

LOL the newer ones(24v) don't chirp as much as the older ones do (12v) my 2001 doesn't chirp at all.

cumminsdad08
03-11-2012, 03:21 AM
well i have been driving this truck a lot this weekend, and i did notice the door "chirps" when i open it, so i guess if i time it just right i can fit in.:rofl:

2011 keystone
03-11-2012, 08:01 AM
LOL the newer ones(24v) don't chirp as much as the older ones do (12v) my 2001 doesn't chirp at all.

I can send you my old alternator pulley That will fix you right up:rofl:

grayghost03
03-14-2012, 06:43 AM
There is another fix, its called age. The older I get the less I hear. And leave them gas attendants alone, first job I had in the sixties was a gas attendant and tire repair. The best (least stressful) year of my life :-)