PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack?

BoosTT
03-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Where the best place to carry two bikes? Any use the rear hitch?

Festus2
03-03-2012, 01:31 PM
If your Zep has a hitch that is bolted/welded to the frame, I would suggest getting a bake rack that will fit into that hitch. It is not recommended that you attach any type of rack directly to the bumper using it as the sole support for a rack and bikes.
We have had several members who have had problems with the bumper separating from the frame - cracked welds and separation of the bumper from the frame being the main issues - after attaching the rack to the bumper.

Bob Landry
03-03-2012, 02:02 PM
As Festus said, the bike rack is bolted directly to the frame. According to Keystone, it will support up to 200lbs.

Mij
03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I have a bolted on hitch on my rear bumper and then place my bike rack in the hitch. I have been watching the welds on the bumper and has been holding up well and I haul 4 bikes on it. I going to keep an eye on it to see if holds up.

rjsurfer
03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I mounted a 4" bumper bicycle hitch to the rear bumper after removing the spare tire and mount assembly.

Ron W.

gprone
03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I just installed this 3 bike rack on my Springdale TT. The rack mounts to the A frame and the bikes sit above the two LP tanks. This is not a cheap solution but very high quality.

http://www.arvika.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=11&Itemid=4&lang=en

fairhaven
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
gprone, what did that bike rack cost? Isn't that the one made in Canada?

gprone
03-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Yes made in Canada. I paid $560 for it - tax and shipping included. Pretty steep but I like the set up and it gives me peace of mind when I am on the road.

I recommend.

Oscar
03-07-2012, 06:54 PM
I needed a place for.....the beer cart. I read about the weld failures, got under the thing and have to agree. A few spot welds, and metal of a gauge that just doesn't inspire much confidence in putting a large (torquing) load on that bumper.

Soooo......for some extra support I located two studs in the rear wall, and bored through all the way to the inside. I installed two eyebolts, with UHMW backing plates with lots of bedding compound on the outside, and big fender washers on the inside to spread the load. I have the four bunk layout in the rear, and the hardware described above is right behind the mattresses in the upper bunks, and thus out of sight.

With about 1200 miles of testing, so far so good.

http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/PicPages/Linkto_files/IMG_0377.jpg

BoosTT
03-11-2012, 10:29 AM
I needed a place for.....the beer cart. I read about the weld failures, got under the thing and have to agree. A few spot welds, and metal of a gauge that just doesn't inspire much confidence in putting a large (torquing) load on that bumper.

Soooo......for some extra support I located two studs in the rear wall, and bored through all the way to the inside. I installed two eyebolts, with UHMW backing plates with lots of bedding compound on the outside, and big fender washers on the inside to spread the load. I have the four bunk layout in the rear, and the hardware described above is right behind the mattresses in the upper bunks, and thus out of sight.

With about 1200 miles of testing, so far so good.

http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/PicPages/Linkto_files/IMG_0377.jpg

We are going to need details on this "beer cart"!! :thumbsup:

CincyGus
03-11-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm thinking if you come to Ohio, we need to camp together. I like your style!