PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Cleaner/Wax

JoeofNSB
03-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Has anyone ever used a product called SHINE ON designed for fiberglass items like boats and rv's. I have included a link so you can look at it. I have some oxidation from the Florida sun on my Raptor and want to get it nice and shiny but not sure what is a good product. Shine On looks easy to use and based on some other threads I have read that would seem to be the big factor, considering size of units.

http://shineonfloridadealer.com/

Thanks for any feed back and have a wonderful day!!

allentx1
03-02-2012, 05:26 AM
I read on another forum that ShineOn worked very well and was very easy to use. I have not tried it myself but seemed to be about 5 people on that thread that recommended it. :thumbsup:

gilnutz
03-02-2012, 05:47 AM
I used a similar product on a car many years ago and it left streaks after it dried. Nothing beats a well polished finish but that's alot more work.

Festus2
03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Joe:
According to the online ad and order form, it would take the 32 oz kit at $100. At that price, it had better live up to its claims and testimonials! There are probably some good products out there in both the marine and RV world that offer good UV and oxidation protection that you might get at a lower price. We don't have to worry too much about over exposure to the sun where we live so can't recommend a product that you are probably looking for.

Exsailor
03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Seriously? $99? Wow. Would rather pay someone 3 times that to buff my camper. Sorry but I am suspicious by nature. Chemicals can only do so much, sometimes a surface needs a good rubbing. JMO

SAD
03-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Seriously? $99? Wow. Would rather pay someone 3 times that to buff my camper. Sorry but I am suspicious by nature. Chemicals can only do so much, sometimes a surface needs a good rubbing. JMO

Dang! You can find someone to buff your camper 3x for $100? Please pass their name along! Lol

Jorme
03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Best product I have found for fiberglass is gel-gloss......

f6bits
03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I think he said “Three times that,” so that’d be $300.

Dang! You can find someone to buff your camper 3x for $100? Please pass their name along! Lol

hankpage
03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Best product I have found for fiberglass is gel-gloss......

Ditto! Been using it for plumbing fixtures for years. When they added UV protectants for cars and RVs it made a good product even better. I have a 40 year old fiberglass shower in my house that looks as good as the day I installed it .... Gel-Gloss twice a year .... works for me. The orange bottle of Nu-Finish works well too. JM2˘, Hank

Jorme
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
My trailer is going on 7 years old, never been covered but I wax it with gel gloss 3-4 times a year and it still looks as good as the day I bought it. (maybe even better)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5ktjdg

SAD
03-16-2012, 02:17 AM
I think he said “Three times that,” so that’d be $300.

Reading comprehension is not my strong suit. :p

Coolbaldguy
03-24-2012, 06:44 PM
I had a casita camper before my keystone. Only sold it because it was too small. The Finnish got chalky and dull. I did some research and found many people using a product called red max. It is an acrylic floor wax. I tried it an it works GREAT! Read this there'd on another forum and see for yourself
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/check-this-out-not-poliglow-time-will-tell-43004.html

It worked great for me:bdance:

rjsurfer
03-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Worked for me also, I think a gallon was $18 and I have enough to do a hundred campers!

Easy to apply but the real work was in the prep, you have to make sure you get any old wax and dirt off first.

Ron W.

CampJKL
03-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Anyone try "Rejex" by Corrosion Technologies? Seems pretty darn pricey as well.

fred1609
03-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Anybody try redmax 3?

Festus2
03-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Unless I am missing something here, it seems that two of the posters above, Coolbaldguy and rjsurfer have both tried it. One indicated that it was "Great"! ... the other says that it "works".

rjsurfer
03-26-2012, 03:02 AM
Here is more info on Red Max Pro and Zep floor finish.

My 08 Cougar has held it's shine nicely at least on the sides and rear which are Filon, I occasionally use some 303 Protectant and that's it, no wax no nothing. The front fiberglass cap is another story, besides losing it's shine after a year or so the front decal decided it would rather peel and shrink than stay pretty like the sides.

To keep the front cap looking half way decent I used some traditional car/fiberglass wax on the cap which worked OK for 6 months or so but because of the height and awkwardness of getting to all the spots on the cap it was a major pain to apply.

So I purchased a gallon of Zep floor finish ($18) at Lowes and gave it a try. Red Max Pro and Zep floor finish are both the same product by the way and come in 3 or 4 step formulas, you only need the "Finish". Leave the stripper, cleaner and sealer versions on the shelf you're only interested in the last step.

After applying an new front decal, free from Keystone, thank you Keystone and cleaning all the old wax and dirt off (easier said than done) you just take a 8" piece of wooden paint can stirrer and wrap some white microfiber cloth around it a few times as an applicator. Got to be white so you get no color bleed through. Apply the watery finish to the applicator and have at it. It will take at least 4 coats to get a near perfect shine but since your just wiping it on and waiting for it to dry (20 minutes) between coats there is no intense labor involved like waxing.

Results a 100% improvement, will it last? I don't know for sure but others have said it's still looks great after a year.

Would I do the whole camper if the Filon shiny finish gives up the ghost? in a heartbeat but so far so good.

Ron W.

LarryL
03-31-2012, 08:35 AM
I use NU FINISH once a year easy to put on and wipe off
and the 5ver just shines:cool3: