PDA

View Full Version : TV Antenna system

Scarpo
02-23-2012, 07:44 PM
I just bought a 2004 Montana 3685FL, I have all the owners manuals but I can't figure out the TV antenna system. The book talks about a signal booster but I can't find it. I also can't figure out how the coax runs throughout the camper. I can't get the TV to pick up and stations. I have a brand new flat screen, it's not the old anolog TV.

f6bits
02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
The booster is usually on the outlet panel where the cable goes into the wall. Trace the cable coming from the TV to where it plugs into the wall. My outlet panel has a small button with a green light to signal that the booster is on. Though the Montana might be different, but it shouldn’t be. If it’s not right there, keep checking wall plates where your coax plugs in, as I think some fivers have multiple patch panels.

As far as how the coax runs through the camper, I think it depends on the mood of the installer at the time. There are no guarantees.

If you want to troubleshoot, find a working cable TV feed, such as one at a campground, or Basic Cable at your house. Is your TV acting like it’s in tuner mode? As I recall, mine has different options between Cable or Digital TV Antenna.

hankpage
02-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Somewhere in your paperwork that came with the trailer will be a manual for your Winegard Sensar antenna. It will have instructions on how to raise and aim your antenna towards a local station. If you do not know where stations are in your area go to Antenna Point (http://www.antennapoint.com/) and find your stations. At your entertainment center there will be 12v dc outlet (cigarette lighter type) with a small button you press to turn on the "Booster" amplifier. (a red or green light will come on) Now you must go to the setup menu on your tv and select "Antenna" as your RF input. Then "Auto scan" for channels that are in range. If you still don't receive any channels it still does not mean there is a problem there just may not be any in range of the antenna. Good luck ... I hope this helps. Remember to lower the antenna before moving. Every time you move you will have to re-aim antenna and Auto-scan again. Isn't technology grand?????? :rolleyes:

SteveC7010
02-24-2012, 12:26 AM
winegard.com if you need a manual.

The antenna booster is contained in a panel similar to this.
Flip the switch so the LED comes on, and the antenna should work for over-the-air broadcast.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_29345_0_33b7cbc5c7ec47e62a57b954769b55b0.jpg

On our Cougar, the antenna and booster are at the front of the trailer by the bedroom.
The entertainment center is way in the back, but we still have to turn on the booster in the front to watch tv.

Scarpo
02-24-2012, 05:06 AM
Great info everyone, thanks

SAABDOCTOR
02-24-2012, 08:34 AM
You a front living room? That pannel is in the right side cabinet top half ;)

golfpro
02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
you might have to upgrade the antenna to HD to get a signal

jje1960
02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
you might have to upgrade the antenna to HD to get a signal
While you may have to update the TV's, not sure the antenna has limitations for the OTA signal.

hankpage
02-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Scarpo, Most of the digital channels in your area are UHF. If you have a problem with these channels adding a "Wingman" (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/winegard-wingman/44021) to your present antenna will help increase the UHF signal. It does not do much for VHF channels. It is under $30 and installs in five minutes without tools. It is not necessary to replace your antenna to receive HD OTA (Over The Air) Digital TV. Let us know how you make out, Hank

Scarpo
02-25-2012, 06:01 AM
We acutually will be at a seasonal site that has cable access so the antenna may not be an issue depending on what Cox charges for a few months of service. Great info, thanks again for all the help.

JRTJH
02-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Scarpo, If you do get cable, remember to turn the TV Amplifier off. It's only used for antenna reception, not cable. As for the wingman add on for the antenna. It works great, but really decreases the angle of reception. Without it, point the antenna anywhere close and you're OK, but with it, you've got to be much closer to the right direction or you won't get much reception. Easy to work with, just letting you know so you don't think it's not working... :)

Scarpo
02-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks JRTJH, you info will be a great help

gprone
02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi,

I noticed on the inside handle of my antenna a note which states the gears need to be oiled twice a year.

I assume this is done from the roof side. Is that right? Also what lubricant do you use?

Thanks!

hankpage
02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Your Winegard manual (http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452013.pdf) will show you where to lubricate and with what. The use of "oil" may gum things up and if you get it on the roof will damage the EPDM rubber. JM2¢, Hank