PDA

View Full Version : What to hook up first?????

ColoradoKeystone
02-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Hello all,
we are total newbies! We purchased a 2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS. Does it matter what you hook up first when you get to the camp site?????? there is so much I'm having a hard time remembering all of it. We have not taken it out yet due to weather and I'm sweating just thinking about it. What if we do something wrong and it blows up!!! ha ha! No, I dont think we will do that, but you never know.

I'm sure my husband got most of it when we took delivery of it, but wow! So much. The electrical stuff is enough to make me drink! ha ha ha! We are getting really good at hooking to the truck (2008 Dodge Ram 1500 oh ya it's got a hemi :bdance:). So far no fights. He he he!

Any help you could give would be great. Thanks

hankpage
02-23-2012, 01:58 PM
It doesn't really matter but I always hook up the electric first so I have full power to the slide when I bring it out. Oh! Give it time the fights will come. :wave: Travel safely, Hank

ColoradoKeystone
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Ha Ha ha, I'm sure they will. Thanks for the advise.
Tammy&Chad

SteveC7010
02-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I make no suggestions on hookups sequence! What may be more valuable to you is to get into a routine and follow it each time you setup and knock down.

There may be some logic here to this sequence for setup:

Position trailer in campsite as you want it.
Pull forward a couple of feet, place boards as necessary to level side to side, and back up on the boards.
Chock the wheels and drop the trailer. Pull the Ram ahead for access.
Level the trailer front to rear with nose jack and then set the stabilizers.
Run out the slides.

Now, no particular order here:

Check power post with tester and then hookup shoreline.
Hookup hose to faucet, flush it, and then connect to trailer.
Hookup waste drain hose, dump black then gray if needed, and then close black.

It really does not matter which you connect first, water, electric, or sewer. What matters is that you learn to do each task and then do each one correctly every time.

If you know another couple who already have a trailer, arranging a weekend outing with them to a nearby campground is a great way to learn a lot of these things.

Festus2
02-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Any dumping that I have to do at the site, either when first hooking up or when leaving, I do that BEFORE I run the slides out. Otherwise, I have to crawl under the extended slides to reach 2 of the 3 the drain pulls.
But that works for me because of where the drain pulls are located --- your situation may be different.
After a few trips out, you will quickly find out the best sequence that works for you. It is, however, a good idea to perform them the same way each time so that it becomes a habit and you are less likely to forget.

f6bits
02-23-2012, 03:08 PM
As I found out last time, make sure all your utilities (water, electric, sewer) reach *before* leveling the trailer. I got mine all leveled and stable only to realize that I was about two feet short on my sewer line. No, I don’t have an extension…yet. Soon.

jje1960
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, after positioning, I usually want the electric first. Reason is when it's very hot outside, the family (and I) have cool air to escape to during a leisure setup, however this is on my mind thinking of Myrtle Beach in July! With our new unit, the electric awning goes out quickly, the shade is nice when everything else is going on during setup. I try and go through the routine slowly and stress free... However have to get the golf cart out of the TH... Always a bit of work involved setting up, especially when it's like 95deg out! I think my favorite setup is in Bristol, we go to a farmers field and one we level the unit, setup takes a couple of hours.... With a few beers stuck in there...:)

Handysam
02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
The first thing we did was drink, just kidding. I had a list of prioritys in order as we got to the camp sight. First for me is to get the camper into the spot we liked in terms of the door opening in relation to the sight, and then check my side to side level to see if I need to raise one side or the other. If so I'll level it side to side. Then I'll start to unhook it from the truck, in your case cranking it up off the ball hitch, pull the truck forward. Then level the camper front to back, after level lower the stabilizing legs. Then I hook up the electric, and water,open the slides, and get the inside all setup.

Then it's grab a beer and chill for a bit before doing the rest, such as the awning, dinner, make a fire, have a beer, get the bed made, have a beer, put the clothes away, feed the dog, have a beer, put out the awning lights, turn on the music and have a beer. Happy Campong, Sam

ColoradoKeystone
02-23-2012, 03:58 PM
ha ha ha! all of these have been very helpful! Thank you very much. I get that it goes more stress free with beer. he he he! We will be sure to bring enough.
I like your way of thinking Handysam.

jje1960
02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
The first thing we did was drink, just kidding. I had a list of prioritys in order as we got to the camp sight. First for me is to get the camper into the spot we liked in terms of the door opening in relation to the sight, and then check my side to side level to see if I need to raise one side or the other. If so I'll level it side to side. Then I'll start to unhook it from the truck, in your case cranking it up off the ball hitch, pull the truck forward. Then level the camper front to back, after level lower the stabilizing legs. Then I hook up the electric, and water,open the slides, and get the inside all setup.

Then it's grab a beer and chill for a bit before doing the rest, such as the awning, dinner, make a fire, have a beer, get the bed made, have a beer, put the clothes away, feed the dog, have a beer, put out the awning lights, turn on the music and have a beer. Happy Campong, Sam

I'm with SAM!

Oscar
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
If it doesn't come naturally, write a checklist. Fine tune it until you're happy with it and then laminate it.

SteveC7010's list is a very good place to start.

V2rider
02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
I have a tough time finding a spot that is anywhere close to level when I go hunting. I havn't even taken the new Outback out yet. April the ATV trails open up for me in Northern MN so that will be the first outing. I may need massive amounts of leveling blocks:( Also no power as we are in the "woods", first come first serve middle of nowhere campsites, some that will only fit a truck and tent. So a generator is needed. Bottled water is a must, and a porta potty;) I WILL however be using our dish service from home to get the RV package and have some night time satellite TV to watch:bdance: Now to just find a way to make this darn Powermate Generator QUIETER. Its so damn loud its pretty unbearable. I have to have some sort of enclosure. I am now looking at maybe finding an exhaust alternative, or just dropping coin on a new Honda :confused:

golfpro
02-23-2012, 05:08 PM
it's my understanding the only way to make any noisy generator quiet is to use it as a boat anchor. It is just me I guess but I do not hook up the sewer hose until the next day. My tanks are usually empty and no need to do that step right away. besides it cuts into MY beer drinking time. by the time I get the set up all done, every one is two or three up on me.

Oscar
02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I installed two larger batteries and an inverter. Run the genny to keep it topped off, then when it's quiet hours the inverter will power whatever you need (xcept the AC or micro) until the am ......

chuck&gail
02-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Steves list is great. Only thing I would add is Lynx Leveler Blocks (like big Legos) are much easier than lengths of wood for leveling IMO. Also you can chock wheels on the ground with wedge chocks, but not those up on wood or leveler blocks. I use a Rotochok between the wheels up on blocks to keep them from moving.

Have FUN, that is the main point.

flybouy
02-24-2012, 05:28 AM
Welcome! Everyone has their own methedology but when you first start out make a check list and take it along. We position unit in site first and check clearences and distances. When new to camping it may help to carry a section of brightly colored nylon rope with you. You can tie tags and identify the various distances on the rope to correspond with the reach of the electric cable, fresh water & sewer hose, slide out(s), awning, and TV cable.
When the unit is positioned to reach all connections and clear obsticals then check for level. If its necessary to adjust side to side pull forward just enough to place boards or plastic blocks then back up and repeat until level.
Chock trailer wheels and then raise tounge jack to clear ball or pin. After the unit is clear of ball remove chains and saftey cable and unplug cable to tow vehicle.
Pull tow vehicle forward about two feet. Adjust tounge jack or landing gear until level front to back.
Drop stabilizers and pull steps out and ulock the doors.
Check pedestal power for proper voltage and ground, turn breaker off if it was left on, plug in power cable and turn breaker on. DW now eners camper and turns AC or heater on, checks fridge, extends awning (ours is electric) and waits for my signal to extend slides.
Connect hose to water spigot and flush hose. Connect hose to filter and camper,open outside shower to bleed air from fresh water lines and turn water heater on.
Connect TV cable to pedestal if cable TV is available.
Connect sewer line.
Signal DW to extend slides and watch for clearences.
Open outside kitchen, connect BBQ, install awning lights,Position rugs/mats, remove chairs from bags.
Go inside and set up TVs - set cable or raise antenna if no cable and set channel search.
Set down and enjoy a cold beverage.

Outbackmel
02-24-2012, 07:43 AM
One thing you missed...once you make a checklist, keep it and do not throw it away "bouncey: USE IT!

Cannot tell you how many times I have put everything in place and realized, after unhooking the tow vehicle, slide was blocked by water or some obstacle. I grew accustomed to all water/power/sewer being near rear of RV....out west, it varies it seems by age of RV park.

SAABDOCTOR
02-24-2012, 08:27 AM
HI THERE COLORADOKEYSTONE I TOO HAVE MADE A CHECK LIST. IT IS IN SECTIONS LIKE THE TYPES THAT PILOTS USE.( I ARE ONE) AND NOT ON A GAS STOVE HA HA HA. IT IS BROKEN DOWN INTO SECTION 1 HOOK UP AT HOME. 2SET UP AT THE CAMPGROUND A OUTSIDE B INSIDE C POUR COCKTAILS AND RELAX. THEN 3 PACKING UP INSIDE,OUTSIDE HOOK UP. 4 UNHOOKING AT HOME. 5 STORAGE. LIKE EVERYONE HAS SAID THERE IS NO ORDER AS TO ELECTRIC OR UTILITIES FIRST, THAT COMES WITH TIME AND WHAT IS EASIER FOR YOU. AS FOR ME, I MAKE SURE THAT THE POOP HOSE AND WATER AND POWER WILL REACH,THEN I PLUG INTO SHORE POWER. A TIP ON THIS TURN THE BREAKERS OFF THEN PLUG IN THEN TURN THEBREAKERS BACK ON. IT IS A GOOD HABBIT TO GET INTO. THEN I GET IT LEVEL. HAVE FUN LEARNING AND NO FIGHTING,AND IF HE IS WRONG MAKE HIM SLEEP INTHE TRUCK:bdance: BARNEY

cumminsdad08
02-24-2012, 06:07 PM
i got kids, water first, or find site close to the restroom. usually electric second, keeps mamma happy. all the rest, well it happens when it happens, sometimes the next morning. all depends. you will figure it out, just so your having a good time.

as for fights, my wife has her chores and i have mine. learned early on to just leave each other alone and do your own thing.

jje1960
02-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Check List... Weee don't need no stinking Check List! "O crud honey.... did you unplug the electric?"..... :):):)

JRTJH
02-25-2012, 11:28 AM
hehe JJE, happens more times than you might think.... Now, where to store the checklist so it doesn't get lost???? Hmmmm how about in the fridge between the beer cans ??? :cool3:

SAABDOCTOR
02-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Lordy i hate when the shore power cord is faloowing me downthe highway!!!!

hankpage
02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
hehe JJE, happens more times than you might think.... Now, where to store the checklist so it doesn't get lost???? Hmmmm how about in the fridge between the beer cans ??? :cool3:

Wow! That's a great idea and it will keep the brown bottles from clinking against each other. :D I'm gonna have to make my list longer so it protects more bottles. :party:

Me.Bikes.Dogs
02-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I work at a campground helping newbies all the time. It's fun actually. All the ideas are really good here. My input is to make sure you chock your wheels well. I've had several that didn't and couldn't figure out why they couldn't get their pin in their 5th wheel hitch to release. Without good wheel chocking the trailer will put pressure on the pin and keep it from releasing.

Second bit of advice is always, always check any cabinets beside the slides to see if doors have opened. If you bring a slide out and it catches an open door, you'll hear a nasty crunch, followed by lots of swearing, then the slide going back in. It hurts worse when you realize you have to replace a door.

Don't forget to use a water pressure regulator on your hose connection. Our campground has 100 psi at the faucet and I've seen several trailers get lines blown apart when they didn't use a regulator.

Last mistake I saw someone make is a friend had told them to open all the faucets before they hook up the city water (bad advice in my opinion). Sure they opened the faucets but didn't check the drains were open. The bathroom drain had closed itself during travel so the water ran all over the floor when they turned on the water. Ouch.

Above all, have fun!!

ky137
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

Maybe I've misunderstood something in reading forum(s) for a couple of years. If you connect the power first, and your water heater is empty, doesn't the element go "poof"? All the other posts I've seen on the topic say to connect the water supply first, open a hot spigot until it runs, close it, then connect the electric. :confused:

Thanks!

flybouy
02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi all,

Maybe I've misunderstood something in reading forum(s) for a couple of years. If you connect the power first, and your water heater is empty, doesn't the element go "poof"? All the other posts I've seen on the topic say to connect the water supply first, open a hot spigot until it runs, close it, then connect the electric. :confused:

Thanks!

All the appliances should be turned off before disconnecting the electric when leaving. Its not a good idea to have heavy loads such as water heaters or air conditionerson when connecting to the parks power or turning on the breaker with that much load.

hankpage
02-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi all,

Thanks!

If the water heater is empty the shutoff switch on the tank should be off and the safety pin inserted. Shore power should be connected before bringing out slides or the TV should still be connected and running giving full voltage to slide motors to prevent damage.

Badboy
03-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I like the way handysam sets upsets up we need to go camping together.sound like you would be a blast.Happy camping.

Badboy
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I like the way handysam sets up we need to go camping together.sound like you would be a blast.Happy camping.

E597283
03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Sam has it right on...30 packs only last so long. I found when I first started a checklist on the internet...it laid out the setting up and getting ready to leave a campsite. No perfect way as long as everything is hooked up. Just enjoy and you will eventually get into a routine. Usually what helps first is to get bikes out for kids and get them off the campsite and out of my way.:cool3:

ColoradoKeystone
03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
ok now i really am going crazy with all this stuff. We get so many people telling us stuff and what to do and not to do. Its all diff. Blahhhhhh! We need a pro camper to go with us the first time so we do not ruin something. lol!

f6bits
03-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I doubt you’ll ruin anything. Just take your time and do things one at a time then fine tune your routine. Sometimes being methodical and slow is a good way to unwind and clear your head.

flybouy
03-08-2012, 02:31 PM
ok now i really am going crazy with all this stuff. We get so many people telling us stuff and what to do and not to do. Its all diff. Blahhhhhh! We need a pro camper to go with us the first time so we do not ruin something. lol!

My advice, for what its worth.....
Relax, this fun remember? Pull in, get out, look confused and ask for help. Most campers are friendly folks that are willing to help and generally cordial creaters. If that doesn't work then offer them a beer, I'll guarentee you'll get help then:rofl:

Badboy
03-09-2012, 06:00 AM
I have been camping for years and I always hook the electric up after I have it where I want it and level.

jje1960
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Yup, what-ever works for ya. I do absolute necessary first, which means get the golf cart out of the back n' then what-ever will mitigate being asked to do anything that is going to interrupt my putter'n style of setting-up, which usually entails having a beer n' hand and taking my time.... Hate hearing my name yelled out of the trailer in the first hour... Which always equates to me having to do something.....:):):)

RogerM
03-24-2012, 05:29 AM

If you ever camp in Indiana, let me know. You sound like my kind of people..haha

drifter101
03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Helpful tips! Thanks! Camp and drink a beer!

blackty
03-27-2012, 04:18 PM
One very important thing to remember, when you are helping guide him back into the site, if YOU can't see the side mirrors, HE can't see you. Decide roughly where you want one rear corner of the camper. Then stand there. My wife didn't get the concept at first. Haven't hit her yet. Enjoy...Jim