PDA

View Full Version : outboard wheel bearings

linebiker
02-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Anybody else out there with toy haulers had problems with outside wheel bearings? I destroyed one within year and a half of ownership. Just went through them again last week repacking and found two more going down. This time I found them to have rough places on them after cleaning and some evidence they spun on axles. At least there were no leaking seals like last time trashing two of the brakes.

Oh did not mention its factory equipped with China made bearings. Except what have been replaced.

Equipped with two 6k Alko axles, not overloaded (yes I weighed rig). Factory aluminum wheels, 65 mph my usual speed on highway.

Have thought wheel design may put extra stress on outside bearing as spokes attach to outside of rim...but Alko factory does not agree. China bearings could well be factor, you can get them for a third of cost of Timkin.

Just would like to know if others had any issues like this.

golfpro
02-22-2012, 07:03 PM
I have always said that building a TT is not rocket science and if this are things wrong up above in side or out side the TT, what makes you think they packed the wheel bearing correctly. I always come home and repack my wheel bearings. Have found them to be very low on grease and I am sure I would have had a failure in side of a few hundred miles. For the money you pay for a new TT they should be packed with golden grease and lots of it.