PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum - Looking to Buy fifth wheel - work on the road

ziacles
11-10-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm new to this forum. My wife and I have been thinking about buying an RV fifth wheel for 3 years and looking and reading about them.

Our youngest just went off to school, we're not retired yet.

My job is somewhat unique in that I can work from anywhere there is a Internet connection so we have decided to purchase a fifth wheel next year and a truck to tow it.

I figure if we plan our stays carefully so that we have a good Internet connection and re-position on the weekends we can take some extended trips and see some country without having to take vacation time off work.

We live up in Montana on the western side so it might be nice to head down south for the winter next year.

For us we think we need a 5er with a desk area I can use as the office, I can work from a laptop no problem.

We're thinking about a 2004-2008 Montana 36RL.

I would prefer to buy used. In any case I'm a little scared of buying a lemon, especially some of the things I have read about leaks.

antiqfreq
11-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

I do not have the model you are looking at but I can say that we have had no problems with our Keystone fiver.

February will be 2 years now and never a moment I can think of that I wasn't happy with our purchase.

Good luck with your search.

Any questions you have - I am sure members will chime in with any advise they can give!

Jody

Flyguy
11-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Knowing what you are buying is always a paramount effort, I have posted a Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) checklist that you can download here: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Delivery%20Inspection%20Checklist.pdf
use it as an inspection guideline and get things fixed by the dealer before you hand over the money or else keep looking is the best advice I can give JMO.

Festus2
11-10-2009, 10:02 AM
We have had our Cougar for 2 years and I have not had any leaks anywhere - including the slide. I realize that sometimes the evidence of leakage doesn't always turn up immediately but I have been diligent in caulking and checking all round for loose caulking and sealant. So far, I have seen no signs of water problems - and we live on the west coast and get a ton of rain. It is getting a good test and has stood up very well.
Welcome to the Forum.
( I would also recommend that you download the PDI ---- an excellent guide for both new and used RV purchases)