PDA

View Full Version : Aux fuel tank

gbsb
02-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Installing a 60 gallon fuel transfer tank toolbox combo in my truck. Do I need to put something under tank before bolting it down to bed? Thanks in advance George

Ron
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi George: I have always put a rubber mat down under fuel tanks and tool boxes. I like a little bit of cushion, and no metal to metal which will result in rust eventialy. My 2 cents worth. Happy Campin........Ron

hankaye
02-21-2012, 04:54 PM
gbsb, Howdy;

You could use a cheap mudflp (the black rubber type), cut it in half, .......

hankaye

JoeofNSB
02-21-2012, 06:54 PM
I would suggest that you make sure that the tank is connected via grounding strap to the frame to prevent static bulidup if it is sitting on a rubber mat. Just like bedliners will insulate a gas can and increase the possibility of static bulidup and the spark that could cause the kaboom noise that no one likes.

the following is a quote from http://www.icarumba.com/cobrands/contentmodules/resourcecenter/articles/icar_resourcecenter_articles_gassaf.asp

An approved gasoline container also dissipates static electricity, as long as it is placed on the pavement before filling begins. Leave the can in the trunk or pickup box, however, and it is a different story. A trunk liner, bed mat or bed liner insulates the vehicle from the ground and the static buildup of electricity has nowhere to go. Static buildup occurs and if it releases, the resulting spark can set off the gasoline

The static comes from the gasoline itself. As the fuel flows through the hose and nozzle, static electricity builds up on the gasoline. This charge takes several seconds to dissipate after the gas is poured into the can. If the can is insulated from ground, the spark cannot dissipate and it builds up until discharge occurs.

According to Chevron, the condition most likely to lead to spark discharge is the filling of a metal container that is placed upon the plastic bedliner of a pickup. In their experiments, this situation resulted in the most fires. They are also quick to point out that while static discharge in metal containers caused the most fires, plastic containers are not immune.

To avoid static electricity fires -- and the other dangers inherent in handling highly flammable fuel -- Chevron suggests the following:

Use only approved and properly labeled gasoline containers. The gas can should be red in color and have a Underwriter's Laboratories (UL) or the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) stamp on them.
Place the container on the ground before filling to allow static buildup to dissipate. Make sure the filler nozzle touches the rim of the filler opening to help static electricity dissipate.
Fill the container only 95 percent full. Leave an air space so the fuel can expand as temperatures increase.
Always fill the can manually; never use the trigger lock on the nozzle.
Turn off your car's motor before fueling and extinguish any cigarettes or open flames.
Never fill a container inside a vehicle or truck bed.
Wipe the can clean before putting it in the vehicle (or hose it off).
Secure the can in the vehicle so it won't slide around.
Never leave a can in your vehicle for extended periods.
Don’t breathe gasoline fumes. They are extremely harmful to your health.

The above precautions are concerning gasoline but also pertain to diesel fuel and it's fumes as noted below from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_electricity

The flowing movement of flammable liquids like gasoline inside a pipe can build up static electricity. Non-polar liquids such as paraffin, gasoline, toluene, xylene, diesel, kerosene and light crude oils exhibit significant ability for charge accumulation and charge retention during high velocity flow. Static electricity can discharge into a fuel vapor.[16] When the electrostatic discharge energy is high enough, it can ignite a fuel vapor and air mixture. Different fuels have different flammable limits and require different levels of electrostatic discharge energy to ignite.