PDA

View Full Version : New here to Keystone

V2rider
02-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey all. We turned in our 2003 Trail Lite and I bought a 2010 Keystone Outback 230 RS Toy Hauler. I just wanted some information on how any owners of this travel trailer have liked it, what problems to look for, and anything I can address before it happens. Thanks alot, so far it "looks" great.;) Havn't had a chance to see how it holds up yet in Minnesota weather. It says it has the "Arctic weather" package, so hopefully it stays warm for Deer Hunting season. Thanks for any replies.

Ron
02-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Welcome V2rider to the forum and Im sure you will find a few Outback 230RS Toy Haulers on here to share info with. Just wanted to say Hi and have fun with the new unit. Happy Campin................Ron

V2rider
02-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks! It is definately looking alot nicer than the 03 Trail Lite! On top of that, I now can haul my ATV in the camper, instead of taking my tailgate off, loading my ATV up 2 tiny ramps, then hooking up the trailer, reverse process in the woods. That was my main point of getting a new one. This one struck my eye as it has an outdoor grill, tv hook up, and is basically brand new. My only concerns are how well the rear bed slide out holds up, window leaks I have read about, and some small things. But I run a remodeling crew, so minor things I can fix. I was also interested in the "heated underbelly", and "satellite ready" features. Is the heated underbelly just a term to use for "we quickly ran wires and pipes all over and hid the mess"?:cool: And is it REALLY satellite ready?

Festus2
02-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Don't be fooled by the "Arctic Weather Package" designation or by the "heated underbelly" claim. There have been plenty of posts about both of these topics all of which pretty much say the same thing about both......... don't rely on either of these two features to keep all of your unit including pipes and water lines from freezing up in prolonged periods of freezing temperatures. You can use the forum search feature to read up on both of these topics. I'd just be repeating what has already been said many times before. Welcome to the forum, BTW.

rjsurfer
02-19-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure if the Arctic Pack is the same thing as Arctic Weather package if it is all Keystone did was to enclose the basement with Coroplast and run one heater vent into that area.

It's not much but it does help in keeping things from freezing up in the 25 degrees and above range IF you keep the heater on. If you try and save some propane by heating the interior with an electric or catalytic heater your not sending heat down into the basement just remember.

You still will need to watch out for frozen water lines that don't reside in the basement.

Some people have added a layer of foam insulation just above the Coroplast and have found it has helped. Not a tough job, just roll down the liner and have the foam rest on the Coroplast.

Ron W.

V2rider
02-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks, yeah I was curious about that arctic package. Also, I won't be using the water tanks deer hunting. A porta potty and couple cases of bottled water is my norm for winter hunting. It will be winterized by that time. I was hoping the Arctic Package would help keep it warm at night without burning to much propane. 2 30s of propane I am hoping will get me through 4 nights of needing heat. This will be more of a spring/summer ATV camping trailer. I have a generator, so an electric heater will be backup. I'll do a search on these, thanks again.

Herap
02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
V2rider, welcome to the forum. I thing 2 30's should be more than enough to keep warm for 2-3 days, unless you're going to be in the far north ;). Having a generator should eliminate any issues you may have by using electrical heat for a few hours during the warmer day time. Good luck and have a great time out there :thumbsup:.

Ray