PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Cougar 327RES Spare Tire Issues?

RickR
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Anyone out there have a similar rig w/ a pullout bike rack on the back end? The mfg. provided spare tire holder on mine has the 4" cross bar winged out and the single bolt holding the entire wheel/tire. First encounter was on the way up to Wisconsin Dells, WI. Pulled into the site, walked around the rig and here is the spare tire hanging by a single bolt. The 4" cross bar was winged out so it would not keep the tire snug to the verticle bar and where the single bolt was holding whole tire was bent. Tried 2x unsuccessfully with my dealer and talking directly to Keystone to get this covered under warranty. No can do. Supposedly, I either bottomed out the back bumper (which the tire can't hit the ground even if it happened) or I hit something with the tire (which if the case it would be winged backwards and not forwards to fall off. Anyone similar issue?

66ken
02-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I had the same problem on my 2010 327RES, I talked to Keystone and they had not heard of the problem. I rebuilt the holder with thicker steel and added another bolt, also installed gussets to reinforce it. I have been looking at Lipperts under body mount for the spare. I don't think the bumper is the place for the spare.

MILBY
02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Have not had a problem with my 327 but also am looking into getting the spare off the bumper and putting it under the belly. With all the horror stories about that bumper I don't want any suprises

f6bits
02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
I just saw an older version of my trailer with the spare mounted under the front A frame. My lord, does that hang low! Now I’m having second thoughts about mounting it there. Maybe I’ll find some cross beam for the winch mount.

Ayotte
02-09-2012, 06:25 AM
I don't have the pull out. We have a 2012 cougar x-lite 26sab and the first trip out after about 400km. almost lost the whole rear bumper. From the vibration the welds all cracked where the rear bumper welds to the frame. Had to remove spare-took it back and the dealer reinforced and rewelded it. Seems ok now.

msp2jxr
02-09-2012, 08:36 AM
We have a 2012 326MKS with the same pull out bike rack and rear tire mount. There have been no problems with the tire for us for the first camping season, but we have been wanting to get the tire off the rear. We recently purchased the Lippert underbody storage bin with tire mount.The DH has not installed it yet since it is still pretty cold here and the trailer is in storage. He is planning on posting pictures when he gets it installed. The tire mount looks slick and the extra storage boxes will be great for the wood blocks and power cord.

MILBY
02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
hey there MSP I also am looking at that set up or just the winch my question about them is how big are the storage bins and are they lockable.

msp2jxr
02-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi Milby,

My understorage unit is currently in storage. I do remember the drawers are not lockable. I went to the Lippert website and looked at the dimensions of the boxes and it looks like they are 28" long, 19.2" wide and 8.2 deep. I am looking forward to getting this installed on the trailer and moving that spare tire from the back.

Hope this helps.

MILBY
02-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Thanks will check it out and maybe call them

byrdr1
02-10-2012, 07:13 AM
UnderChassisStorageFlyer.pdf (http://www.lci1.com/NewProducts/Flyers/Under%20Chassis%20Storage%20Flyer/LCI_UnderChassisStorageFlyer.pdf)

wire1946
03-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I have a res 327 . good unit .but almost lost my spare and bikes going to Fl. the 4x4 square bumper AL. AL.and cant hold the weight of bikes and tire .hitting the bumpers in the road caused the metal to rip at both braised points ,where it is attached .
Good luck to all

jsmith948
03-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Our Cougar has the slide out bumper/bike rack with the spare wheel mounted in the center of the bumper.
While the bumper is made from light wall square tubing, it is gusseted where it attaches to the sliding frame with the top corner of the tubing even with the top of the frame preventing a lot of the vertical twisting and making for a stronger welded joint
The only problem we had was that the wheel was attached to the vertical post with a carriage bolt and the square shank portion of the carriage bolt is longer than the material through which it is mounted is thick. This prevented the lug nut from tightening up against the wheel and allowed the wheel to shake and wobble.
A large, thick washer was all that was needed as a spacer.
I don't know if I would leave the spare wheel on the mount if I were to travel with the bumper extended due to the "play" in the slide rails allowing for a grat deal of up and down movement with the expected dynamic loading placed on the sliding bumper.

LarryL
03-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I have a MKS326 Cougar with slide out bike rack I put the spare tire in the
basement to could not tighten the spare didn't like it hanging off
the bumper with the bikes on to much weight.
Like the Lippert underbody storage bin with tire mount but lots
of money there but cool maybe some day.

CampJKL
03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Our spare rack was rendered useless after the first few months as a weld failed... Ripped the mount off and put the spare in the basement... Saving for the Lippert

heatkits
03-19-2012, 03:45 PM
I ordered the LCI under carriage storage and spare tire rack, as I needed more outdoor storage and wanted free up space on the bumper for a bike rack. The one I got came 99’ long, I don’t really know if they make different sizes, but it overhung the sidewalls by 3”on each side (can you imagine running into that in the dark). This one was definitely built for a toy hauler; even the mounting plates were 3” off. Needing to leave on a trip I had one of the guys (Jarod) that work for me cut it down, this meant cutting 3” off each rail, the tire carrier, weld it all back together including the latch pins and re-mount it again. It took a little more than 3 hours to complete, but he did a fantastic job, as usual. I really like the way it works and gets the weight in front of the axels.

The bike rack is: the bolt on Swagman platform rack. To help support it, I mounted a cargo tie down bar to the rear of the trailer with nylon cargo webbing straps to rack frame, its rock solid now. While Jarod had the welder in his hand, he re-enforced the bumper mounting. I was worried about how low it was mounted and that it might drag on steep driveways, however, it never hit. Jarod wants to put the receiver through the bumper and support it back on the frame, which will gain me 4” in height. I guess I’ll have him do it since he did so well with the other project.

BTW: we also had to re-route the gas line to the outside of the frame, no big deal for us since were in the HVAC business. If we didn’t, it would have meant ¾” spacers.

CampJKL
03-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Nice write up... And thought provoking on doing more research. Yes, 3" either side could be a pita! Now if I just had a welder...

heatkits
03-20-2012, 03:28 AM
Nice write up... And thought provoking on doing more research. Yes, 3" either side could be a pita! Now if I just had a welder...

I wasn't thinking about my a$$, but more my knees! Even with the rounded edges they would do a job on a bear leg. I like the under carriage system so much I'm thinking about getting another one. Maybe this one will be the right size or Jarod will get another job to do...

chuck5180
03-22-2012, 04:00 PM
I had the same issue 1st trip out, just doubled thickness to cure problem. My dealer Barton lake in Angola In. fixed all the other small issues . Really good dealer to work with. The 1st trip was about 2600 miles, tows very well and that air ride pin makes a huge difference. I pull with a 2008 Ford 250 sd, 6.4 diesel power. Happy trails to all.

Comptech
04-02-2012, 02:38 PM
So I have a 2012 330RBK with the rear storage slide out and spare mounted to it. I have not had anytime to play with it as our RV is parked in the yard in such a way I can not pull it out. SO is the key here, not to travel with the rear storage slide out and loaded with bikes and such? Maybe I should look at adding some more support bars or welds?

Tom and Kelley Crawford
04-02-2012, 03:16 PM
We have a 2010 327RES and if my memory is correct, they had a recall on the spare tire mount right after we got our Cougar. We took it to the dealership and when we got it back it was terrible. Tire was always loose and close to falling off and bent bar holding it on. I took it back and they said I must have hit something to bend the mounting (I had not) but they did fix it. It was no better and I had to jury rig it to keep it from falling off. Very poor design.

RCrawler
04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
So far, I haven't had any issues with cracking on mine. I run with the bumper extended and have a 4- bike rack mounted on behind that.

I'm going to cut off the thin sheetmetal bumper and replace it with some thicker wall material. And since the spare drags going up the driveway, I'm going to redesign the mount so that it is higher and solidly mounted to the bumper, with no more cute little u-bolts. I really like the toolbox that was mounted and I might do something similar with the slide out rack to get rid of some Rubbermaid containers.

Jason

DaleB
04-08-2012, 04:15 PM
RickR,
I have a 2011 CourgerSAB318 and Yes the spare tire bolted from the factory with the bike rack in the extended position can definatly bottom out. I know it happened to me. I was pulling out a parking lot on to a side road after leaving a resturant in Kentucky and was going up a steep grade. That night some 3 hours latter when we stopped for the night I noticed that the tire was hanging on by just the 1 bolt as when the tire bottomed out the bracket bent and actually saved the tire from being damaged. I am now in the process of installing the tire underneath the trailer. I have the frame all welded up and ordered a tire winch from Lippert. It looks great and after I get it painted I will install it. Also I have redone the bike rack and have installed an Aluminum truck tool box that holds all my electrical and water hoses and fittings along with an Outboard motor for my inflatable boat. I am glad I got the spare off of the back because that weighs about 60-70 pounds and that pull out rack is only rated at 200 lbs.

Camp I am
04-09-2012, 04:54 PM
RickR,
I have a 2011 CourgerSAB318 and Yes the spare tire bolted from the factory with the bike rack in the extended position can definatly bottom out. I know it happened to me. I was pulling out a parking lot on to a side road after leaving a resturant in Kentucky and was going up a steep grade. That night some 3 hours latter when we stopped for the night I noticed that the tire was hanging on by just the 1 bolt as when the tire bottomed out the bracket bent and actually saved the tire from being damaged. I am now in the process of installing the tire underneath the trailer. I have the frame all welded up and ordered a tire winch from Lippert. It looks great and after I get it painted I will install it. Also I have redone the bike rack and have installed an Aluminum truck tool box that holds all my electrical and water hoses and fittings along with an Outboard motor for my inflatable boat. I am glad I got the spare off of the back because that weighs about 60-70 pounds and that pull out rack is only rated at 200 lbs.

Would love to see some pictures when you're all done of both the box on the rear and the new underbody tire lift. :wave:

chuckretnav
04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Second camping trip on the way home wife see a Mick D (Mcdonald) that has truck parking. we got in ok no problem. the drive had a dip in it and should of been more observent of how deep the dip was. Coming out did not feel a thing. Got to the home 20 and was checking things before I backed in and both of my spares (yes two) where pulled out to the rear. And almost off the tire racks. That dip got us. Took off the spares and the racks and now carry my spares in the bed of my truck. Next trip was to Texas and one or two the fuel stops I made was glad the spares where in the truck. Had just bare minium clearence on rear bumber to get in and out of the fuel pumps. 327res has a 13 foot over hang from last axle. Big swing and big tail drag. Going to Texas for good this next trip. :wave::bdance:

ptfire
04-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Anyone out there have a similar rig w/ a pullout bike rack on the back end? The mfg. provided spare tire holder on mine has the 4" cross bar winged out and the single bolt holding the entire wheel/tire. First encounter was on the way up to Wisconsin Dells, WI. Pulled into the site, walked around the rig and here is the spare tire hanging by a single bolt. The 4" cross bar was winged out so it would not keep the tire snug to the verticle bar and where the single bolt was holding whole tire was bent. Tried 2x unsuccessfully with my dealer and talking directly to Keystone to get this covered under warranty. No can do. Supposedly, I either bottomed out the back bumper (which the tire can't hit the ground even if it happened) or I hit something with the tire (which if the case it would be winged backwards and not forwards to fall off. Anyone similar issue?

Yes, we pulled into a campground last night and noticed the spare looked slightly crooked. After examining the tire and entire rack, we realized the wing plate was bent, etc... Sounds exactly like your issue. Our concern was the tire was wobbly and possibly could come loose from road vibration. We secure the tire with some wire we had on board.It seems if you use the bike rack in the extented position at some point it will bottom out. Have you resolved the issue? We are considering ways to resolve. We really like our rv and have been enjoying it.Thanks ptfire

ptfire
05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
We also have a 327RES and a few days ago discovered that we had the same exact problem, but our tire does hang several inches below the bumper line. We believe that when the bike rack is extended, the extra length that results increases your chance of bottoming out when on uneven ground. In our opinion this is a design flaw. Have you made any progress in resolving this issue? Due to the bracket being bent out, the tire wobbles on the one bolt holding it to the tire rack and that is also a design flaw.

PT Fire

bob5camp5
05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I have never used my bike rack, so I have never encountered a problem with it. I have had the recall work done to my spare tire mount. My tire now has two bolts holding it and the welds have extra braces. I have no problems. If I ever do extend my bike rack hitch and set a bike or two on it, I will let you know. But, it's working fine now, pretty sure it will be fine with a bike or two, what do bikes weigh? Maybe 50 lbs each? How could this pose a problem. Just my two cents.

Camp I am
05-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Mine came with the 2 bolts and the thin black metal bracket, but when I looked at it closer I found that both of the bolts were cross threaded bad, so bad that I snapped both off while removing them. So in the first picture you can see that I've replaced the thin metal 'butter' bracket with a more beefy piece of steel (painted yellow). 2nd picture shows the differences in the thickness. I have to buy a longer bolt before I'm road ready as you can see, with the new thicker piece I'm right at the end of the threads. Other than that the welds look not great, but ok, I'll keep an eye on them till I have a chance to do some welding. Oh yes and the cable looking thing is my cable lock so that my tire stays where I left it :cool:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_36085_0_f3060d421f8db86ce0d6257420549f65.jpg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_36085_1_28d57c79526b69d20ce2c02b7300925b.jpg

ptfire
05-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Bob and Camp,

I am wondering how many inches below the bumper is your spare tire located? If your tire is below the bumper, and your tire hits the pavement, something has to give, and perhaps that is why they put in such a thin wing brace, because the wing brace will bend when the tire moves and save the rim from absorbing the energy and bending. Also, the tire bracket itself bent as well when our tire hit the pavement. The solution, I believe is either raise the tire above the bumper level, or place it in a rack under the unit behind the axle. Lippert sells a product for under the unit.

PTfire

ptfire
05-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Bob 5,

You mentioned you had recall work done on your tire mount. We called Keystone and asked if there was a recall done for this situation and they said no recall was issued. Who did you speak to about the recall?

PTfire

Camp I am
05-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Bob and Camp,

I am wondering how many inches below the bumper is your spare tire located? If your tire is below the bumper, and your tire hits the pavement, something has to give, and perhaps that is why they put in such a thin wing brace, because the wing brace will bend when the tire moves and save the rim from absorbing the energy and bending. Also, the tire bracket itself bent as well when our tire hit the pavement. The solution, I believe is either raise the tire above the bumper level, or place it in a rack under the unit behind the axle. Lippert sells a product for under the unit.

PTfire

The tire hangs 3.5 inches below the bumper. I thought of that also but the thin metal with the vibration back there was bending on it's own to the degree that I can't trust it. If it hits the bracket it flimsy enough to fail I'm sure. Also been thinking of calling these folks to see the dimensions of this one. Not sure if heavier duty or not, looks pretty much the same as what I have but if it lifts the tire higher then problem may be solved. For the price if it's a solution it's cheaper than my time to weld anything. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/bike-carriers/trailer-tire-mount.htm

Camp I am
05-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Another thing I've been thinking about is bolting a piece of steel plate into the current tire carriers 2 bolt holes with this new plates own 2 holes positioned up to reposition the tire higher. This would bolt tight to the current bottom hole and utilize the current top hole on the carrier as the one that the steel plate would be bolted through, then the new top hole on the added plate of steel for the other bolt to go into the rims lug hole. This would move it up aprox 3".

This may be hard to visualize unless you go out and look at your carrier. :bfart:

66ken
05-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Bob 5,

You mentioned you had recall work done on your tire mount. We called Keystone and asked if there was a recall done for this situation and they said no recall was issued. Who did you speak to about the recall?

PTfire

The recall was for units built before Feb 2010. They added a gusset on the top of the mount.

ptfire
05-06-2012, 07:45 AM
After my post last night, I found that there are two companies so far that make a bumper mount tire carrier similar to the one on our unit. It looks like the Stromberg-Carlson model (retail $29.95!). There is another company, Ultra-Fab Products, that also has one, but there are bolts reinforcing the weld points to the band of metal that the tire is mounted to. The bigger question is this: Are either of these tire carriers really strong enough to hold a 16" tire? The recall in 2010 would lead me to say no, and the gusset that was welded onto the pre-existing tire carriers (looks like the Stromberg-Carlson model), is a bandaid on a broken leg. The tire carrier is designed for a smaller tire (look on the Ultra-Fab site, it says it is designed for up to 8 lug Kelsey Hayes type wheels and Fayette type travel trailer wheels). Next step would be to call S-C and ask them if theirs can hold a 16" tire. And yes, the next item on the list is to find one really designed to keep the tire above the bumber line(or a second recall for Keystone to provide one) or an undermount system that makes sense for this unit. On another thread of this forum (2012 Cougar 327RES Spare Tire Issues?), several people just put the tire in their basement. Other good comments on that thread. Thanks for all imput and appreciate any other comments....

PTfire

rv4d
05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I experienced this with my new Cougar after my second day of ownership attempting to back into my driveway. Luckily I only ripped the tire cover.

After reading all previous posts and looking closely at the bumper, it appears that the wheel hangs below the bumper by about 2 3/4" and the bottom of the bumper is about 1 3/4' below the horizontal rack extension rail (See images).

It seems obvious to me the the wheel bottom needs to be even with or slightly higher than the bumper. Additionally, I see no reason not to move the bumper up on the two extension rails about 1".

After making those two changes, it appears that I/we could gain about 3" of clearance at the bumper. That is a lot with about 13' of overhang.

Anyone see flaws in this? Must be some...

LarryL
05-10-2012, 03:47 PM
I to saw that the tire was below the bumper and also the
tire would not stay tight on the bumper tire mount,
so I took the tire and mount off and put the tire
in the basement it does take up room but
we all put to much stuff in the basement.

JRTJH
05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I experienced this with my new Cougar after my second day of ownership attempting to back into my driveway. Luckily I only ripped the tire cover.

After reading all previous posts and looking closely at the bumper, it appears that the wheel hangs below the bumper by about 2 3/4" and the bottom of the bumper is about 1 3/4' below the horizontal rack extension rail (See images).

It seems obvious to me the the wheel bottom needs to be even with or slightly higher than the bumper. Additionally, I see no reason not to move the bumper up on the two extension rails about 1".

After making those two changes, it appears that I/we could gain about 3" of clearance at the bumper. That is a lot with about 13' of overhang.

Anyone see flaws in this? Must be some...

Looking at your pictures, it appears that if you draw a straight line from the bottom of your rear tires to the bottom of the bumper, the line is just below the two stabilizer jacks. Maybe the bumper is positioned low on the extension rails to protect the stabilizer jacks from being scraped or torn off should you hit an incline. Our Holiday Rambler had an ENORMOUS rear overhang and it had 2 skid plates welded to the rear bumper/extension. I mounted the skid wheels on those skid plates. That gave me an extra 4" of protection before the bumper would scrape the ground. You may find that it would be simpler to just weld a couple of 90 degree steel plates to the bottom of the bumper/extension arm and bolt on the roller wheels rather than try to reposition the bumper.... Hope I explained so you can understand what I'm saying... If it's confusing, let me know and I will explain in more detail.

rv4d
05-10-2012, 04:53 PM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Maybe the bumper is positioned low on the extension rails to protect the stabilizer jacks from being scraped or torn off should you hit an incline. ........................You may find that it would be simpler to just weld a couple of 90 degree steel plates to the bottom of the bumper/extension arm and bolt on the roller wheels rather than try to reposition the bumper.... ..................l.

Explained perfectly, thanks. I wondered about that too and it is close - maybe too close. I question whether the extension rails will hold the weight or be damaged.

Certainly the simplest first change is to remove the tire or raise the tire rack about 4". Guess putting the tire in the basement may be worth a try, just don't want to give up the space.

chuckretnav
05-20-2012, 10:43 AM
first trip out I had the same problem as everyone else. So I took off my spare and I carry it in the bed of truck. I have a long bed on mine and it fits in the nose in front of the fifth wheel. I also take my portable blue tank and put it on top of the spare and strap it all down. But if you have a short bed then you may not have the room.

dtas
05-20-2012, 11:32 AM
first trip out I had the same problem as everyone else. So I took off my spare and I carry it in the bed of truck. I have a long bed on mine and it fits in the nose in front of the fifth wheel. I also take my portable blue tank and put it on top of the spare and strap it all down. But if you have a short bed then you may not have the room.

This is what I'm doing until I figure another place to carry it. My last 5er had a winch for the spare between the front landing gear area. That is what I'll probably go for. You can purchase the winch at the Lippert website. ;)

wire1946
05-29-2012, 07:02 AM
I have the same problem with my 2011 the 4x4 bumper riped away from the welded breackets. and could not get my swear hose out.,what a mess .rv dealer is going back to keystone .to see if they will fix it.hope you have better luck then i do

wire1946
07-25-2012, 03:18 AM
I had the same proble with my 327 .the side that held the spare tire bent and ripes the square tube.and the braket that held it to the frame snaped off.went back to keystone .and they did fix it.rv was 2 yrs old at the time.

Johnnyfry
07-25-2012, 10:08 AM
I booted my rear tire mount after the first trip. I now keep the spare in the TV bed. I also use a bicycle rack mounted to the bumper ( the pull out rack is a true POS) and I never extend it.
To reduce vibration I run a cargo strap through the bike frames to the ladder.

It ha worked without problems for 30K miles including the Alaska Highway.

The tire carrier from Keystone has far too much lever action on the flimsy bumper and the resulting vibration kills the bumper.

John

Camp I am
07-26-2012, 05:39 PM
On our last trip I noticed bumper started tearing away from weight of tire on carrier. Removed tire and will be seeking repair from Keystone soon. :banghead:

Bushman512000
08-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Can Your spare tire be mounted in the area under the nose I carried mine there in one 5er still had the blue boy ,batteryx2,extra sewer hoses,brick and brack just did not trust the bumper back then made up a hitch for the rear made a box and carried a 3000 big red Honda gen.new trailer now to make it all again the hitch that is :D

PalatkaCampers
08-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Just returned from a camping trip this weekend and found our bumper leaning. Found where metal had split near welds on frame. Obviously the weight of the tire bouncing on bumper is the cause. Would think Keystone would have come up with a better system by now since there has been prior problems with this. Trailer now at Campers World awaiting warranty action. Not a happy camper.

PalatkaCampers
09-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Campers world ended up welding the cracks and added bracing to the bumper. Said it would be stronger then factory bumper. They did say to remove spare tire if we are going to haul bikes on bumper. Sliding bumper is already rated to 200 lbs but I guess you need to calculate the weight of the spare tire to this figure.

Camp I am
09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Campers world ended up welding the cracks and added bracing to the bumper. Said it would be stronger then factory bumper. They did say to remove spare tire if we are going to haul bikes on bumper. Sliding bumper is already rated to 200 lbs but I guess you need to calculate the weight of the spare tire to this figure.

Weight and leverage, once the bike rack is pulled out that weight will be leveraging on the under frame mount.

wire1946
09-19-2012, 03:00 AM
i had the same problem with my 5th wheel.they know about this there are alot of people haveing the same problem.keystone fixed my bike rack and 4x4 tube.the tube is not strong enough to hold the weight of tire and bikes.to much bounce on it.needs to be stronger.tahe pics and send to keystone.your dealer has to help you also."bouncey:

Bushman512000
09-19-2012, 06:01 AM
This is what I did no problems at all now Bushman

mudmaker
09-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm planning on doing something like that Bushman. The slide out rack is a novel idea but useless in my opinion. Nothing carried on that that I couldn't put on a hitch mounted carrier. I think I'll whack the rack off the trailer and cut the bumper off the rack and bolt it onto the frame after I remount the Curt rv hitch I have already. I still want to pull my UTV on trailer.

Bushman512000
09-20-2012, 11:57 PM
I started doing the revamp thing years ago.I went north and had a small box trailer on the rear with a 500cc Suz 4x4 a gen. and some other small things for camping well the welds were letting go I jacked and rapped ratchet straps around it till I got parked .A friend came out the next morning with a welder and some steel stock and the work was begun about a hour it was fixed.So I never again trusted the crappy bumpers again.This trailer was not home 24hours and the hitch was the first Mod to be done.I can pull a 2nd trailer if need be but most of the time it will be the Honda sitting there for the dry camp electricty for the Heat and cool...love that old honda

wire1946
09-27-2012, 11:16 AM
yes i had the same problem with my 5th wheel .keystone fixed it at no cost.had to send pics for them to fix it.

Brantlaker
09-28-2012, 05:39 AM
I just joined the club!!! when I put the cap back on the water tank drain is saw that the bumper was cracked by the welds both left and right side. called the Service Manager at my Dealer he told me to send pictures to him that this new to him.The pictures were sent. I have to drive past the dealer in the morning and will stop by to see what is up.will keep you informed.Great timing leaving on a trip on Sunday for the week.Will remove the spare tire and carry it in the truck.This was my post under Warranty issues.Keystone does not think they have a problem CALL customer service at 866-425-4369 ask to talk to Julie Stomp.If every body calls and talks to the same Rep they may realize that there really is a Major Problem. As of this date they still will not repair my Bumper properly.They only want to re weld a new bumper on to the old supports with no reinforcements. I will not accept that repair.:banghead:

Jabber2Jake
09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
I like your photos. They just don't tie it all together so I can figure out what you actually did. I have the slide out bike rake. I'd like to beef it up to hold a 250cc motorcycle. I will remove the spare tire if necessary. What did you do? I see some welds, but cannot get the entire picture. Did you remove the old sliding bike rack? Sorry, but I need more clarification.

Wayne Abston
10-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I have a new 324RL picked up this year. The spare tire carrier on the way home from the Dealer bent all to heck. I noticed it at a rest area and tried to straighten it and tightened it up. Drove on home then took another trip, after nearly losing my spare, I put the spare in the bed of the truck. I was wondering if anyone else is having similar issues.

Brantlaker
10-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Alpin Haus replaced the bumper and welded gussets and supports to keep it from flexing. I am HAPPY with the repair. Read in the Kudos section.:)

Camp I am
11-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Recall has been issued on some models, dated Sept 30th 2012. I'm sure more models will follow soon. Take your rigs in and get them fixed.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/537560/12-178_cougar_bumper_-_web.pdf