PDA

View Full Version : Dometic refrigerator fire concern

ljp
02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
We are enjoying our 2012 Passport 195RB with a Dometic refer, model DM2652LBX. After almost three months and the first time the refer was used (with propane) it stopped working. Technician reported a "fusible link" and "electrode wire" were burned. After thorough examination of the system the technician was unable to identify the cause of the fire that created the damage. Is anyone familiar with any similar problems with this refrigerator?

CarKath
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Are you saying you actually had a fire? Or overheated wires for an unknown reason?

ljp
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
The technician reported there was a "fire" that caused the damage. Apparently when the technician activated the system during his inspection there was a "flare up" (flame) created; he believes this caused the damage he observed but could not identify what caused this problem. A blockage of the draft was initially suspected but everything checked out fine.

CarKath
02-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks for clearing this up. I was just curious as what to watch for myself. I personally have not had the issue. Good luck in tracking this down. I am confident somebody on this forum will have some useful input.

Goodluck:)

hankpage
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
The technician reported there was a "fire" that caused the damage. Apparently when the technician activated the system during his inspection there was a "flare up" (flame) created; he believes this caused the damage he observed but could not identify what caused this problem. A blockage of the draft was initially suspected but everything checked out fine.

If it were me, I would get the opinion of another "technician". Something does not seem right. If he inspected and saw burned electrical components, Why would he try to ignite the gas???? The whole idea of a fusible-link is to burn or melt in the event of an electrical short.

CarKath
02-02-2012, 08:56 PM
If it were me, I would get the opinion of another "technician". Something does not seem right. If he inspected and saw burned electrical components, Why would he try to ignite the gas???? The whole idea of a fusible-link is to burn or melt in the event of an electrical short.

Great point and one I overlooked!! Thanks Hank. :thumbsup:

ljp
02-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. The technician that inspected the refer was in contact with a person at Dometic. I don't know why the technician tried to ignite the gas and after a lengthy phone conversation with the Dometic contact the source/cause of the problem could not be determined. We should be back home within a week and the unit will be returned to the dealer for further inspection and repair. I'll keep you posted on their findings. Thanks again.

SAABDOCTOR
02-03-2012, 06:54 AM
One hank is right!!!! 2 dometic has had some recalls with older units. Maybe yours is an older type that slipped through the cracks 2012 should not be involved but... Good luck

mjhaa43
02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I HAD A RECALL ON MY 2006 WILDWOOD DOMETRI REFRIGERATOR AND THEY PUT IN A NEW ONE:thumbsup:

haffcke
02-06-2012, 03:30 PM
the frig in my 2011 bullet stopped working abruptly while in electric mode but cooled in gas mode just fine just as my 1 year warrenty ran out, called keystone and learned the warrenty for the dometic refg. has a 2 yr. warrenty the dealer had to replace the cooling unit and all seams well after 4 months, i never turn mine off due to steady use. Phil