PDA

View Full Version : A "Discovery"

JRTJH
01-27-2012, 05:09 PM
While looking for information about Thor Industries, I ran across this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Industries

I'll be the first to acknowledge that wikipedia is not the best quality reference site, but I found the following to be very interesting:

Like several other firms in the industry, Thor offers employee incentives based on productivity, with reductions in bonuses based on warranty work. Thor encourages employees to be actively involved in community programs and Thor executives serve on the boards of numerous civic organizations.

That policy could go either way, it COULD enhance quality on the production line, or it COULD increase warranty claim rejections around "bonus time"

I found it interesting that a comment such as that was out there for anyone to read.

Festus2
01-27-2012, 05:49 PM
"Thor offers employee incentives based on productivity, with reductions in bonuses based on warranty work."

Does this mean that if you are on the production line and the unit(s) that you have worked on do not have any warranty claims on them, you will get a bonus? OR
Does this mean that those responsible for approving or disapproving warranty claims reject them resulting in fewer claims for the company will get a bonus?
Does it mean that an assembly line worker who happens to have worked on units that had successful warranty claims that worker will get a reduction in bonuses?

"A reduction in bonuses" sounds to me like a negative - a penalty rather than any kind of incentive.

The rest of stuff about Thor is just window dressing. (Oh, Oh, wrong word ... how about "fluff"?)

f6bits
01-27-2012, 07:27 PM
With a dash of optimism, I’d say that Thor is smart about how they use these incentives. Certainly, their goal is to improve brand reputation. If these policies are abused, that hurts their image and their basis for offering bonuses is harmful to their business.

Productivity is pretty clear cut. It’s the warranty area where it’s really going to count, so they’d better keep a close watch on that, both internally and in the public arena.