PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing my new 2021 330RL

donhaller
11-10-2021, 06:42 AM
I'm new to this forum and we are picking up a new Outback 330RL on Friday. I'm requesting that they not winterize it because I want to take it this weekend and shake it out a bit. Might even use it a couple more times before freezing temps really set in.

My previous camper was very easy to winterize. Essentially just bypass the water heater and suck up antifreeze into the system until it drains out of all the faucets etc.

My 330 RL has an on-demand water heater, but I guess it should also have isolation valves as well. Just wondering if there are any winterizing procedures posted anywhere on here for the newer Outback Travel Trailers?

jawsmon
11-10-2021, 08:53 AM
Speaking from experience, don't use RV Antifreeze in the fresh water lines. You'll never get rid of the taste if you do. Only use it in the drain traps.

Open all fresh water low point drains under the RV, open all the faucets and blow a little compressed air to clear out the lines. This should clear out the on demand hot water tank as well.

It is best to keep a little heat (50-55F deg) on in the RV using one of the oil radiator space heaters or similar. This will keep the dampness down and prevent and musty odors as well.

notanlines
11-10-2021, 09:47 AM
I heartily disagree concerning the taste remaining. More than 30 years and it has never happened the first time.

JDDilly
11-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Speaking from experience, don't use RV Antifreeze in the fresh water lines. You'll never get rid of the taste if you do. Only use it in the drain traps.

Open all fresh water low point drains under the RV, open all the faucets and blow a little compressed air to clear out the lines. This should clear out the on demand hot water tank as well.

It is best to keep a little heat (50-55F deg) on in the RV using one of the oil radiator space heaters or similar. This will keep the dampness down and prevent and musty odors as well.

I agree, the taste lasts for half the season and tastes horrible!

donhaller
11-10-2021, 11:25 AM

I've been using RV antifreeze for over three winters now without any after taste or issue. I blow out the lines with my air compressor and then do the standard winterization with the pink stuff. I store my RV on a paved lot with no electricity. Pull the batteries and put them on a battery tender until the next time out. Thanks for your process! I'll keep that in mind.

donhaller
11-10-2021, 11:29 AM
I heartily disagree concerning the taste remaining. More than 30 years and it has never happened the first time.

Yeah, I would have to agree. I have not discerned any off tastes in the water and I'm a real water nerd when it comes to making coffee and brewing beer!

donhaller
11-10-2021, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm looking for primarily information on specific tips for accessing and wanted to know if the on-demand water heater also had isolation valves like the regular tank heaters. I would assume but was not sure. Maybe I should ask in a specific forum for Outback TTs?

flybouy
11-10-2021, 01:50 PM
I have never had an "aftertaste" from RV antifreeze. Between boats and RVs I've been using it for about 50 years. In the spring I sanitize the water lines using a bleach solution followed by a thorough fresh water flushing. I flush the fresh water holding tanks in the spring but only drain the tank for winterizing, i.e. never put RV antifreeze in the FW tank.

Gegrad
11-10-2021, 07:55 PM
I've never had an antifreeze taste problem after draining, sanitizing, and fully flushing my FW system each spring. I also have never had a problem cleaning out the FW tank after dumping ~5.5 gallons of RV antifreeze in it each winter. Of course I probably flush 200 gallons of water through it each spring, so that might have something to do with it...

jawsmon
11-10-2021, 08:46 PM
Just goes to show you that there's no 'one way fits all'. Different manufacture's of the RV antifreeze, different amounts that get added, etc. etc. The bottom line...do what works for you. Living in the Northwest (an hour from Canada), I keep my RV in an enclosed/ insulated garage with a little heat going via oil radiator type electric heater all winter. I don't need to winterize in the typical fashion. No RV antifreeze and no damp musty odors to deal with.

linux3
11-11-2021, 02:32 PM
I'm new to this forum and we are picking up a new Outback 330RL on Friday. I'm requesting that they not winterize it because I want to take it this weekend and shake it out a bit.

My goodness lots of opinions.
You are in VA?
Western NY is a whole different kettle of fish. Cold, cold.
Find the back of the water heater, it's out doors. Remove the drain plug and... Well drain it.
Find the low point drains, labeled out side somewhere and remove the caps and open all the faucets. Drain.
Reinstall the plug and reinstall the caps. Turn the hot water heater to bypass.

In the years I have owned my 2016 TT and TT's before that I have always used the pink stuff and a inline filter and we drink the water and make coffee etc. No bad taste. Maybe cheapo Walmart pink stuff is different?
I do not de-winterize in the spring myself. I have my TT inspected at a dealer for NYS and get an delux de-winterize which includes sanitizing everything. Maybe that kills the taste? I doubt it but it does.

Bottom line is there are tons of instructions here and many youtube videos on how to winterize.
Lots of people just blow out the lines with compressed air and in VA that may be enough. Many people use the pink stuff and IMHO it's the way to go.

skids
11-12-2021, 03:08 PM

Same here. Do a good rinse of the fresh tank and a good rinse of the lines.

donhaller
11-15-2021, 04:47 AM
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the replies. We picked up the new trailer and its pretty damn awesome. Just for posterity sake if anyone comes back to this thread in the future looking for information in regard to winterizing and ON-demand Hot Water heaters. The Keystone Outback does not have isolation valves for the On-demand Hot Water heater. The heater core can have antifreeze through it. And just to note. I flushed all the antifreeze from the delivered system and was drinking fresh tasting water from the faucet in only a few minutes of rinsing all water systems and faucets of the pink stuff. No after taste found.

JRTJH
11-15-2021, 08:35 AM
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the replies. We picked up the new trailer and its pretty damn awesome. Just for posterity sake if anyone comes back to this thread in the future looking for information in regard to winterizing and ON-demand Hot Water heaters. The Keystone Outback does not have isolation valves for the On-demand Hot Water heater. The heater core can have antifreeze through it. And just to note. I flushed all the antifreeze from the delivered system and was drinking fresh tasting water from the faucet in only a few minutes of rinsing all water systems and faucets of the pink stuff. No after taste found.

The PEX water lines don't absorb the "after taste" of RV antifreeze. It's the fresh water tank that has all the "rough edges, cavities and imperfections in the tank interior surface" that hold the antifreeze and lead to problems with taste"... As long as you don't "pour antifreeze in the fresh water tank" then usually all that's needed is a quick, thorough rinse with clean water" to eliminate that problem.... Your experience with drinking water from the faucet is the same as mine.... Just keep antifreeze out of the fresh water tank and I think you'll be "taste free" next spring as well.

wifi_guy
11-18-2021, 08:19 AM

^^. What he said. Today's RV antifreezes have some animal fats in them which can give them a taste and oder.

I have ALWAYS used air. Just make sure to set your air compressor to no more than 50 psi. If you hook up air at 120 psi you'll break something.

Now in the pee traps, for sure use some RV antifreeze. I'll keep a little in the toilet bowls to keep the rubber seals from drying out.

wifi_guy
11-18-2021, 08:21 AM

There is a valve on the On Demands that you can open up and if you are running RV antifreeze through the system, you'll see it come out. As I stated previously, I use air to blow out all my valves.

bbells
11-18-2021, 08:35 AM
Most winterizers say to drain the water heater, put the plug back in. Connect an air compressor set to no more than 35 psi to the city water intake, and turn on one faucet at a time until only air comes out, then do the next one. I always do this twice. Don't forget the outdoor shower. Open the low water valve, drain grey and black, and pour RV antifreeze in the traps.

shermris
11-18-2021, 06:20 PM

I've always used RV antifreeze in my freshwater lines, and I've never had any taste issues after flushing the lines. I've heard that people have issues if they get RV antifreeze in the water heater, but this is the first I've heard of issues from the fresh water lines. Maybe I've just used the right RV antifreeze, or possibly suffered from covid for the last 30 years. I get some -40 degree weather and want the additional security of antifreeze after a blow out.

flybouy
11-18-2021, 07:30 PM
^^. What he said. Today's RV antifreezes have some animal fats in them which can give them a taste and oder.

I have ALWAYS used air. Just make sure to set your air compressor to no more than 50 psi. If you hook up air at 120 psi you'll break something.

Now in the pee traps, for sure use some RV antifreeze. I'll keep a little in the toilet bowls to keep the rubber seals from drying out.

What brand RV antifreeze has animal fats? Where did you get this information?

nitrohorse
11-19-2021, 04:05 AM

I agree. I've been camping since 1987 and have never had an issue with residual odor or taste from RV antifreeze. I drain the low points, use compressed air to force out what water remains, and then add antifreeze to the lines.
Overkill....probably, but I've never had an issue with any of the plumbing freezing.

nitrohorse
11-19-2021, 04:09 AM

I use RV antifreeze and I throw 3 of my cholesterol pills in with the antifreeze to keep the water lines open.

flybouy
11-19-2021, 07:37 AM
I use RV antifreeze and I throw 3 of my cholesterol pills in with the antifreeze to keep the water lines open.

Wouldn’t an injectable like ProLiant be easier? :lol: