PDA

View Full Version : I am scratching my head! Hmmmm

LeeMedic
01-24-2012, 03:28 PM
I keep replacing my white city water hoses! I have been purchasing them from CW and they last maybe 2-3 weekend camping trips before they develop small pin holes.

I have tried different brands and the same thing happens, so I went to Walmart and purchased 2 Blue drinking hoses for the city water. It lasted about 3 camping trips and again in the middle of the camping trip a pin hole develops.

What in the world is causing all these hoses to go bad? Is it only I that is having this problem?

SteveC7010
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Are you using a pressure regulator? If the campground pressure is greater than 40 psi, you should always use a regulator. Most experienced RVer's use the regulators 100% of the time.

I am using white hoses that are several years old and have never had, nor heard of the problem that you are describing.

I have utility garden hoses that have been left at full house pressure for very long periods, and not one of them has ever developed pin holes.

Frankly, if excess pressure is not an issue, and the hoses are failing after just a couple of weeks use, I can only think of one explanation.

LeeMedic
01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
I am not using a pressure regulator. Are you placing the regulator directly onto the campground water bib?

cumminsdad08
01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
maybe the way you are storing it??? you have a dog you take with??? i caught my collie under the trailer one hot day chewing on the hose. no damage tho.

geo
01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Leemedic -

Thought about rodents? I know - Gross! On the white hose? Rats and mice do like to chew on insulation (similar to water hose) for the salt that we humans leave on it while handling it. Are you always camping in the same locale? Is it dry where you camp? If it is, sprinkle some talcum powder around your hose at night and check for tracks the next morning.

Or rent a Maine Coon cat! :rolleyes:

Ron

LeeMedic
01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Not camping at the same location. I am in florida, but also has happened in Georgia.

I just installed a regulator on the bib, but I don't think this is the problem. The holes are small, so maybe rodents. I need to get a steel hose I guess! LOL

SteveC7010
01-24-2012, 03:58 PM
I am not using a pressure regulator. Are you placing the regulator directly onto the campground water bib?

The regulator needs to be on the spigot end of the hose, not the trailer. That way the hose and the trailer plumbing is protected.

I have never heard of rodents chewing up hoses, but I suppose it is possible. I'd be more leery of dogs or cats as their mouths are large enough to actually bite on a hose.

geo
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
If you do think it might be rodents, try getting some PVC large enough diameter to slip the hose through. Cut it in to one and two foot lengths, and add a handful of collars and a couple of street elbows. No glue! Just slip it all together like Tinker Toys and make your own "mouse guard". :bdance:

Steve - You would be amazed at what rats and mice could do to the old one inch thick seismic acquisition cable! That cable had around 160 to 200 wire pairs in it (26 gauge). Sometimes it would take a couple of days to repair them! Hogs were the worst, though.

Ron

Paddler
01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
It's pretty common during the dry season (floridah winters) to have rodents punch a couple holes in the hose for water. I've lost two hoses this year due to the critters and its never the kinked hose, alway the ones that lay nice and flat. :(

LeeMedic
01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
It's pretty common during the dry season (floridah winters) to have rodents punch a couple holes in the hose for water. I've lost two hoses this year due to the critters and its never the kinked hose, alway the ones that lay nice and flat. :(

Well that just might be it. I am currently camping at Wekiwa Springs State Park in central Florida.

5forcamping
01-24-2012, 07:14 PM
the raccoons at Ft DeSoto campground in Florida did the exact thing to our water hose on two occassions.

hankaye
01-24-2012, 07:21 PM
LeeMedic, Howdy;

Let me ask a question.
Are the pin-holes you mentioned right AT the hose ends, where
the ends are crimped on or sorta scattered along the length of the hoses ?

Reason for asking is this.
If the leaks are only at the crimps the cause is most likely to be due to over pressure or bad manufacturing.
Scattered along the length you may be feeding some hungry vermin.

hankaye

LeeMedic
01-25-2012, 05:08 AM
LeeMedic, Howdy;

Let me ask a question.
Are the pin-holes you mentioned right AT the hose ends, where
the ends are crimped on or sorta scattered along the length of the hoses ?

Reason for asking is this.
If the leaks are only at the crimps the cause is most likely to be due to over pressure or bad manufacturing.
Scattered along the length you may be feeding some hungry vermin.

hankaye

Hank, the small pin holes on the hose that is laying on the ground.

TeamCyBo
01-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Sounds like critters to me if it is random downward from the ends. On the regulator, it is a must. You never know what the pressure is at the CG. I connect mine on the TT and not the spigot. My reasoning for this is that on a hot sunny day the hose can build up a lot of pressure and I want to protect the water lines in the TT. If on the spigot, there is not protection from pressure build up in the hose. I would rather lose a water hose, than a water line. Theres always a WM somewhere. Jm2cw.

Good luck in what you find out. Let us know.

Bo

MILBY
01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I put my regulator on my trailer also rather protect it than my hoses, hoses are alot cheaper. Had a problem at work with rodents chewing on the insulation on the wires leading upto my tower lights. someone told me the insulation had salt in it and that is what they were after??????

JoeofNSB
01-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you put the regulator at the hose bib aren't you protecting everything from the water supply thru the hoses and the trailer too???

SteveC7010
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you put the regulator at the hose bib aren't you protecting everything from the water supply thru the hoses and the trailer too???

You are correct, Joe. But one small issue remains and that is the possibility of the hose heating up in the sun and swelling up from the pressure. But, in theory, the pressure can't rise above whatever the regulator holds it to be. I don't consider it to be a problem.

I prefer to shut off the hose bib if I am going to be away for any length of time. And I try to route my hose so most of it is out of the sun. My regulator is always on the bib end.

I've yet to have any hose problems in 35+ years of RV'ing, at least due to pressure issues.

TeamCyBo
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
By bib I'm assuming you mean the CG spigot. That only regulates the source of the water, not what is already in the hose. I have seen hoses swell due to being in the hot sun. If this happens there is NO protection from the hose into the trailer and the water lines within. By regulating the pressure at the trailer, be it a swollen hose do to sun or pressure from the CG water source, you are protecting any water lines in the trailer.

Bo

JoeofNSB
01-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Yoou would think that after living in Florida since 1979 I would have thought about hose warming up in the sun!!! We can learn so much from others.

hankaye
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Howdy All;

I have a heat tape secured to my hose. It's covered with that pool noodle type of foam insulation. When the temp is above 50 something it goes to sleep untill temps below 40 something wake it up. When i turn on the cold water I have to wait till all the warm water flows before i can fill a glass with cold water.
Zero pressure issues.
During the summers I don't have the heat tape pluged in. Although I do leave it attached. I have had zero pressure issues. Temps do get above 100 in Cent. Utah. I have more pressurizzation issues with the Hot water heater.
Then I know it's time to "trim a little off the top". Then zero problems...

I hate to buy things over and over again. I keep my press. reg. at the spigot/bib/faucet ...whatever. I did blow-out a hose by putting the reg. at the trailer end of the hose...

my 2 pence worth....

hankaye

LeeMedic
01-27-2012, 03:49 AM
I have noticed with a generic flow regulator installed that my water flow is significantly reduced.

Here is a regulator that keeps the pressure in check but allows for maximum water flow.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/water-regulators-gauged.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=partsshopping&utm_campaign=partsfeed

Does anyone use this type of regulator?

Bob Landry
01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
This site has a Watts adjustable regulator with stainless steel parts and a gauge for around $90. That's pretty cheap insurance. Forget the cheapie Camco screw-om regulators.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm

That said, water pressure that is stong enough to blow a hose, but leaves the trailer plumbing unharmed is really a stretch. So is sun exposure, weak connections at the ends, etc. The problem occurs with multiple hoses and that many different hoses with the same defect is even more of a stretch.

The most likely possibility that I can think of other than rodents chewing on the hose would be running it across a gravel driveway and then driving across it.

ktmracer
01-27-2012, 09:12 AM
yes, we use the one Bob referenced, purchased from the same online company. Very quick service, quality product. IMHO better than the one from PPL. The watts regulator series N55B rated for something like 10gpm or more and has a fluid filled guage and an easier adjustment knob and all external parts are either brass or SS. Works great, much better than the "pressure" regulators that are really only a "flow" restrictor.

Johnnyfry
01-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Geo--- Do we have a doodlebugger in the house?

John

jq1031
01-27-2012, 10:07 AM
I wonder if the simple answer is the hoses are just defective, I've been using the same white hoses bought a CW for years without a problem and I do use a regulator.

Cpatinjones
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
I have heard squirrels may bite into hose for water.

hankaye
01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Howdy All;

have you also noticed that the wall thickness of the 'white' hoses is about 1/2 the thickness of a regular garden variety hose ? The quick crimp on repair kits seldome work as the ID (inside Diameter), is greater than the garden hoses.
Small wonder they fail if extra pressure is applied..... On the up side they fail BEFORE the interior plumbing will...

hankaye

Ruffus
01-27-2012, 05:27 PM
I been using the same white hoses from WalMart now for two years from Florida to California and back tp georgia without an incident. At Fort McAllister State Park in Georgia I found that the squirrels and Racoons would bite holes in the water hoses unless we left a bucket or coffee can full of water out for them all the time. These guys are very resourceful and know how to get a drink.:bdance:

LeeMedic
01-28-2012, 04:27 AM
I been using the same white hoses from WalMart now for two years from Florida to California and back tp georgia without an incident. At Fort McAllister State Park in Georgia I found that the squirrels and Racoons would bite holes in the water hoses unless we left a bucket or coffee can full of water out for them all the time. These guys are very resourceful and know how to get a drink.:bdance:

That makes sense.

George
01-28-2012, 06:29 AM
I am a retired sailor. With ships, and yachts, after coming alongside a jetty, we drag our power cables and water hoses to their shore hook ups. When we drag those cables and hoses it is generally across a cement or gravel surface and that causes wear and tear on the coverings. To counter that we used to take old fire hoses and thread our water hoses and power cables thru them and in doing so we protected them.

All of this to say it may be that the pin holes are created by the way that they are being dragged in/out of the camper and then across the surface. Covering them is an easy way to fix that.

LeeMedic
01-28-2012, 09:12 AM
This site has a Watts adjustable regulator with stainless steel parts and a gauge for around $90. That's pretty cheap insurance. Forget the cheapie Camco screw-om regulators.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm

That said, water pressure that is stong enough to blow a hose, but leaves the trailer plumbing unharmed is really a stretch. So is sun exposure, weak connections at the ends, etc. The problem occurs with multiple hoses and that many different hoses with the same defect is even more of a stretch.

The most likely possibility that I can think of other than rodents chewing on the hose would be running it across a gravel driveway and then driving across it.

Bob with this regulator do you still get a good flow rate? I just hate those "trickle" showers.

Bob Landry
01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
If the water pressure is high enough to begin with. One of the parks in Arkansas that we go to has low pressure, so if I get slow flow, I know I don't ned the regulator and simply take it off and put it away.

ktmracer
01-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Bob with this regulator do you still get a good flow rate? I just hate those "trickle" showers.

I have one of the regulators from this website, the biggest one they sell, it is rated at 10 gallons/min, so it doesn't affect the flow rate at all for a given pressure. The smaller one is rated at something like 5 gallons/minute.

Many of the cheap CW units aren't a true pressure regulator, they are simply a flow regulator.

hankaye
01-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Howdy all;

Been my experience that pressure is a by-product of restriction.

Pumps (water systems), create flow. the first restriction (generaly the outlet), downstream creates the inital pressure.
Then each successive restriction creates more pressure and restricts flow at the same time.

Back in the 1800's when the miners' wanted water pressure to blast away a hillside to get to the gold or whatever, they used moniters;

http://museumca.org/goldrush/fever19-hy.html

The water was pressurized by a series of reductions in the pipeing that delevered the water from the source to the nozzel.
In some of the mountianious areas the act of collecting the water in a 20 or so inch pipe to send it in the direction of the hillside, then reduced to say 18 inches untill the water comes shooting out of a 1 1/2 inch nozzel.
Given distance, and amount water that would be "upstream (hill)", of the nozzel and the weight of um-teen (scientific measure), gallons @ 8.3 or so lbs./gal. that' s a lot of pressure.

So, by increasing flow, you are de-creassing pressure. One of natures neat juxtaposition thingys (another extreamly accurate term).

hankaye

michael
03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
If the hose gets the hole in about the same area everytime maybe theres a screw or staple protruding ware you store it.

LeeMedic
03-01-2012, 02:28 PM
If the hose gets the hole in about the same area everytime maybe theres a screw or staple protruding ware you store it.

No, I store it in a large rubber maid container with a lid on it. Nice thought though.

jje1960
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
This is a real weird one... I honestly am using some of the same white hoses that we purchased back in 04' from our first TT. Have you happened to forget an anniversary or birthday or something.....found any stray pins laying around the unit.....;)

LeeMedic
03-02-2012, 04:51 AM
This is a real weird one... I honestly am using some of the same white hoses that we purchased back in 04' from our first TT. Have you happened to forget an anniversary or birthday or something.....found any stray pins laying around the unit.....;)

I am thinking critters looking for water is the best explanation. I will attempt from now on to keep the hose off the ground and see if they last any longer.

mjhaa43
03-02-2012, 04:58 AM
i am NOT CAMPING WERE U GUY GO CAMPING U HAVE RAT'S AM FROM BUFFALO WE HAVE SNOW GOOD LUCK LOL:thumbsup:

hankpage
03-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Has your campground maintenance crew been around with their trusty weed-wackers????? I have had a few sewer hoses done in this way and lawnmowers just seem to shorten cable tv connections. :mad: