PDA

View Full Version : Delivery Inspection

Loki
01-22-2012, 07:29 PM
I am going to take delivery of my first 5th wheel, a Montana High Country 313RE. What would be important things for me to check upon delivery? I want to be prepared with something like a checklist.

geo
01-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Download a copy of Flyguy's fantastic PDI at:

http://www.eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Delivery%20Inspection%20Checklist.pdf

It is the best Pre-Delivery Inspection checklist you will find!

Ron

Herap
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Welcome Loki to the forum and your new Monty. Ditto on Flyguy's PDI list and take as much time as you need to understand all of the systems. You might want to take a camera along to take pictures in certain areas that you may not quite understand or have knowledge of and write a comment to go along with it. Mostly, just take your time and ask questions as needed. Good luck :thumbsup:.

Ray

Loki
01-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys, that helps. The list is awesome!

Ridge-Runner
02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
That is quite and extensive list. About how long will it take? My salesman told me that they are going to have everything ready to go just like I was going camping when I pick it up and it takes about an hour to go over everything that they want to go over with me. So I suspect that they will cover some of the same things that are on this list then I will just have to check the rest. Awesome list THANKS!

Festus2
02-11-2012, 03:13 PM
If I were in your position, I would study the list beforehand, take it with you and get them to go over everything on the list that YOU want checked. I wouldn't settle for being content with them going "over everything that THEY want to go over with me. You are paying a fair chunk of money for this RV and you need to be completely satisfied that everything is working properly and that any little (or large) items that need to be fixed or replaced are done BEFORE you take out your wallet ( if you haven't already done so).
Take as much time as you need. If you need 2 hours, take it. It's your money they are asking for and they should ensure that you are satisfied with what they are selling you.
They probably will cover many of things on the list but if they don't, ask to be shown. If this dealer and its staff are customer-oriented, they won't mind taking the extra time with you.

Good luck with your run-through and don't rush this part of the process. It is an important one.

f6bits
02-11-2012, 03:51 PM
My dealer blocked out two hours for my PDI. The tech doing my delivery didn’t know every single feature, so I had to do some exploring with his help. Once he eyeballed the feature, he was better able to explain it. So, yes, look over that list beforehand because the tech might hit many of those points on his/her own before you start asking questions.

chuck5180
02-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks for list will make takin del a better expierence.

chuck5180
02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks for list will make more enjoyable.

JoeofNSB
02-12-2012, 02:33 PM
X2 with Festus2 on this. Take the time that YOU want to go over it with them. My dealer tried to rush me and I told them to block out more time. I definitely needed it and then I even missed a couple of little things. PDI is time well spent for making the future easier.

hsmunoz
02-12-2012, 04:51 PM
2 hrs for the dealer to go over how things work is fine. However that is absolutely not enough time to do a complete PDI. but you don't need them for that. I suggest you schedule their 2hrs first thing in the morning, have them go over all the systems and features. Then tell them your going to go through the coach your self for the rest of the day. Then do the most detailed pdi you can. Some things to check that are not usually done , boil water with your microwave, or pop pop corn. my microwave turned on , spun the dish made noises at the PDI ,but the element never actually worked,
test the jacks at least 5 times, on the second pass for me the motor burned out in the back. test the water heater on electric first , then gas.
stuff like that.
congrats!

tidwood
02-14-2012, 02:57 PM
We arrive at the dealership at noon and released the PDI tech about 1500. Then continued on our own, and found a couple of things that the salesman wrote up on the repair sheet. Haven't gone in yet, but after loading things in the coach and doing the tour guide for the neighbors, we found 2 other items. Will the dealership repair these or are they now our problems? (some scratches on the Corian counter top and small scratches on the plastic fender.)

har29
02-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Heed all the advise about taking your time to check your unit. The dealers main goal that day is to have you take the unit off their hands and for you to sign over the check. The check lists are very good, but you need to sort of think outside of the box and check and ask any and all questions. Like pull the sofa bed out, operate the air mattress, how do you operate it without the built-in pump? So many things on today's RV's are operated by pushing a button, find out to operate in manual mode. Some units come with an automatic power reel, how will the reel work if it is doesn't extend or retract, find out how to operate manually. Hard to go down the road with 30 feet of cable hanging out of the reel...Try to think of the worse case senario.
And last ,the unit belongs to the dealer until you hand over the check, any and all problems should be fixed before you take command of the ship. When my new rig finally arrives my dealer knows I will spend whatever time I need to check the unit. I'll probably do two 3 hour days. Theres a lot to see and know on these things.
Happy Travels...:wave: