PDA

View Full Version : Alpine 3500RE pantry storage space

turbopilot51
01-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I am trying to create additional shelves for added storage of food items in the kitchen pantries. Finding it very difficult to find any wire shelves or other type that are the right width and height. Trying to maximize storage space in the pantry area. What have others done to organize their pantries?

SteveC7010
01-22-2012, 02:19 AM
I am trying to create additional shelves for added storage of food items in the kitchen pantries. Finding it very difficult to find any wire shelves or other type that are the right width and height. Trying to maximize storage space in the pantry area. What have others done to organize their pantries?

Buy stock ClosetMaid wire shelving, cut it to size and shape as needed, and hang with their wall hangers. You are limited only by imagination and ingenuity with that stuff.

http://www.closetmaid.com/en-US/PublishingImages/ClosetMaid/ProductCatalogImages/Full/139500_full.jpg

I can also see where some of the 3M Command wall hangers would be useful, too.

DocData757
01-22-2012, 07:12 AM
I added 2 wood shelves to the shallow pantry, 1x6 with a 1x2 front lip. Stained them Cherry and varnished. Installed using small 'L' brackets. We found small shelving in Bed Bath and Beyond that worked well in the deeper pantry. Its a 2 piece setup that can be adjusted in length.

We don't have the fireplace option and I added a shelf in there as well.

Next project is to add one in the storage over the TV. I'll leave about 12" of it without the shelf for taller items.

f6bits
01-22-2012, 08:36 AM
I put in self-contained plastic stacking drawers. They’re a pain, and not very space-efficient. I like the look of DocData's shelves. Wire shelves are a quick fix, but I’m biased against them because the ones in my garage have gotten dirty, sticky, and impossible to clean.

slewis95407
01-23-2012, 06:20 AM
I have done the same as SteveC7010, but installed the wire shelves upside down giving a lip at the front.

turbopilot51
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I added 2 wood shelves to the shallow pantry, 1x6 with a 1x2 front lip. Stained them Cherry and varnished. Installed using small 'L' brackets. We found small shelving in Bed Bath and Beyond that worked well in the deeper pantry. Its a 2 piece setup that can be adjusted in length.

Next project is to add one in the storage over the TV. I'll leave about 12" of it without the shelf for taller items.

What did you use to secure the L brackets to the back wall? I would be concerned about the water piping and wires in the wall.

DocData757
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I put the L brackets on each end on the side walls and not the back. 2 per wall. Short screws, no problems.

durhamcutter
01-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I just cut some shelving out of 1/4 plywood and screwed strips to the wall and set the shelves down on the strips, not only do they hold the supplies but they are removable also, would send pictures but don't know how, not computer savy.

hankpage
01-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Like Scott mentioned above, I put in wire shelves up side down so the lip keeps things from sliding against the door and opening it while traveling.

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/50393/2332769760047821328S500x500Q85.jpg

turbopilot51
02-18-2012, 11:32 AM

May I ask what type of wood you used for the shelf? I am wanting to pick some boards up at Home Depot sometime soon.

f6bits
02-18-2012, 01:10 PM
I just this week did this upgrade. Home Depot has 20” deep shelves. My pantry is 24” deep. I used the same hooks as hankpage. Back wall hooks about 3” in from each side for better lateral support, and side wall hooks about 5” in from the front. Also flipped the shelves so the lip is upward pointing. My shelves are stacked every 8”. With a 4” gap to the pantry door, I don’t think much is going to tip far enough to fall down that gap, but I’ll keep an eye out when I open the door after traveling.

DocData757
02-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Just pine but the better grade. Cherry stain and serval coats of poly urethane varnish.

DocData757
02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Finshed some more shelving additions.

The first is a stand for our wireless printer. I work up in the bedroom and the DW is at the table. This puts the printer someplace accessible to both without eating up any shelf space (because of the top shelf). Obviously this will only work for a wireless printer unless you want cables strung across the RV.

The next is a shelf in the cabinet over the TV. This added a lot of extra space. I did not make it full width so items too tall to fit under or on top of the shelf would have a space. We full time and needed more room for food storage.

The third is an additional shelf in the bathroom angle cabinet. I added one to the top cabinet and one to the bottom.

The last is a shoe rack to solve an issue that may be unique to us. My DW has 3 to 5 pairs of slip on shoes piled up next to the door at any given time and this rack gave her a better looking place to get them out of the way.

turbopilot51
08-14-2012, 05:47 PM

The dw and I just returned from our journey to Junction City, Oregon to have new shelves installed in our Alpine. The shop is Davis Cabinets and they did an excellent job and all in one day. They added adjustable shelves to both kitchen pantries and shelves in the bathroom cabinets. Included that weird funny cabinet in the bathroom corner. The dw also wanted a shelf above the washer/dryer combo to store the cleaning supplies and iron. She also had them install a fold down ironing board that lays on top of the washer. I am impreesed with the quality of the work and the dw is ready to stock those shelves."bouncey: